• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tests and Trials (Manzanita Judging)

Dungannon

First Post
Devlin Magruder, human rogue 3

"Other than yelling really loud, no, I have no way of signalling anyone," Devlin quips as he secures his rapier and checks his crossbow. He turns to Malen & Cryndo, "I'll take the lead, you follow about 50 paces behind. See the rest of you in two hours."

Devlin takes off at a slow jog toward the eastern edge of the clearing.

Animus

Explorer
"Jasper, Luthiel, let's get going," Garrit says. He then gathers his stuff and wave to Devlin's group as they leave. "Between the two of you surely you can come up with some way to signal, right? That's not my strength."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Animus said:
...Jasper and Cryndo need to be in different groups. They both have been blessed by the gods with healing ability...
Actually, Jasper is a wizard. Speaking of which, I need all my spellcasters to somehow mention what spells they have prepared for today. Since you technically prepared them before you heard about the adventure and traveled to the clearing, (we're going on the honor system here) try to make it a "standard day" list, one that your character might prepare every day. (Cryndo is the only one who has done this already.) Tomorrow, in game time of course, (or whenever your character prepares spells) you may choose a different assortment of spells if you want. Just stating the obvious. ;)

scout989

First Post
Luthiel Faradar Elven Rogue1

Luthiel replies "I also have no great method other than shouting; if that's all we can come up with, it will have to do." He prepares to leave. If the forest is open enough to give him more than 30 feet of visibility, he will draw his bow and nock an arrow, otherwise he will draw his rapier. He then says "I will go first, and attempt to spot our enemies before they spot us, while you follow no less then 30 feet behind, all right?" He then moves into the woods slowly, as sneakily as he can.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Luthiel's Party: Luthiel scouts ahead, the other two trailing behind at about 30', at the rogue's request. Immediately upon leaving the clearing, the canopy of the trees darken the area vastly. Many glinting eyes peer from the foliage, but nothing stays for more than a split second. Eventually, after following a somewhat winding trail, the group stumbles upon a small clearing with a few holes in the ground, like little burrows.

Devlin's Party: They also follow the rogue. The forest is dark, far darker than the clearing. Devlin can make out a few tracks, but he isn't trained to follow them, so he mostly follows a dirt trail, hoping the gods will favor him. Their response wasn't quite favorable or unfavorable. Devlin, before the two others, gets a glance at a large clearing with 3 tents and a camp fire. At the camp fire sit 3 small, goblinoid creatures.

OOC to Devlin's Party, anyone with a goblinoid language (Malen):[sblock]The goblinoids are definitely not speaking any gobliniod language you've ever heard.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dungannon

First Post
Devlin stops as soon as he spots the creatures, he tries to signal to Malen and Cryndo for them to stop as well. He then silently makes his way back to them.

"You hear that sound, like talking but in a language I don't understand? Well there are three little creatures the likes of which I've never seen up ahead around a campfire. Any suggestions?"

scout989

First Post
Luthiel Faradar Elven Rogue1

ooc: How big are the holes? How many are there? How big is the clearing?

ic
Luthiel motions for the others to come join him with a finger to his lips cautioning them to remain quiet. He points out the burrowlike holes he has seen, with a questioning look on his face.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Malen, Dwarf Wiz1

OOC: Sorry about the delay getting back to this. I just spent the bulk of the last two days at the ER with a dehydrated toddler.

OOC for Rae: Malen's current list was posted at the very beginning of the thread. That might not be his "standard" list, but its what he's got for the day (not that it will likely do much for him!).

"What did they look like?" Malen tugs at his whiskers as he speaks, "And more importantly, were there signs of any more than just the three?" With that, Malen retrieves his crossbow from its mooring and as quietly as he can draws back the string and fits a bolt to it.

Almost as it is an afterthought, Malen says, You realize that the boy is probably going to cut our throats in the middle of the night, don't you? That tower didn't have its roof blasted off in the past few hours, you know, and we still haven't seen its master.

Last edited:

Cryndo

Explorer
Cryndo, Level 1 Human Cleric of Hyrag

Cryndo nervously speaks in a whisper barely audible above the wind, Perhaps we should wait for the others? We now know where their camp is. Do you think they know we're here?"

Dungannon

First Post
Devlin Magruder, human rogue 3

"I saw three tents and three creatures. They look like they might be related to goblins, but I'm not sure about that. If you will stay here, I'll see if I can't sneak around to the back and get a peak in one of the tents." With that, Devlin quietly unloads his crossbow and slings it over his back to prevent an accidental firing.

Just before heading out, he turns back to Malen. "You may be right about the boy, but right now these...things...are our primary concern."

OOC: I will try to sneak around to the rear of the nearest tent, so it is between me and the creatures. Use Hide, Listen, and Move Silently as needed.

Remove ads