• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E MERGED - 4E News complaint threads; please don't start another

Sick of hearing about 4E?

• Yes

Votes: 53 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • Will be soon

Votes: 3 3.7%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Razz said:
I am personally sickened by the fact that now the homepage of ENWorld has a 4E Unofficial News section. It's almost as if ENWorld is promoting 4E. Even their little fake logo is annoying to look at.

Who are "they"? If you want to criticise me, at least try and have the courtesy to use my name.

Since this is about the site, moving to Meta where you can read "their" position on the subject of 4E news reporting in the thread already there on that very subject.

Last edited:

Jolly Giant

First Post
Rumours and speculations aren't news. When there are news I'll read them. Rumours on the other hand, don't interst me.

Personally, I hope we don't see any news for a long time yet. I'm quite happy with D&D as it is. Not that it is perfect, but there's nothing so wrong about it as to warrant a new edition IMHO.

But of course, WotC needs to make money. That's why they're in business. And judging by the books they've been publishing lately, they're running out of ideas for more 3.5 books. We've had Sword & Fist, Complete Warrior, Heroes of Battle and now this Book of Blades (or whatever it's called) thing... How many books on combat do we need? :confused:

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
What 4e news?

EN World is supposed to be a site about role-playing news, not rumors and speculation.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to deny people the right to talk about it. That's fine. I do think it should either be limited to one thread, or preferably a subforum. I petitioned the moderators for a subforum, and was told no. I tried e-mailing Morrus, but it seems his contact info on the site is out of date. The other day, there was no less than six threads on the subject. Quite distracting.

Again, I would like to propose a compromise in the form of a subforum where rumors and speculation can be contained to a single area and not take away from the enjoyment of the site. I would also request that the 4e news section be renamed the 4e speculation section, removed from the front page of the site, but linked to from the new subforum.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Dragonhelm said:
EN World is supposed to be a site about role-playing news, not rumors and speculation.

Ah, sorry - thanks for letting me know what EN World is supposed to be about. ;)

I tried e-mailing Morrus, but it seems his contact info on the site is out of date.

It's up to date.

Re. discussion of 4E news - people can discuss whatever they like on EN World as long as it breaks no rules. If the conversations are not to your liking, then I'm afraid you'll just have to not involve yourself in them. I don't read FR threads, and there's a hell of a lot of them about.

If people think the occasional bit of 4E rumour is somehow detracting from their use of the site (I'm not sure how it would), then I apologise; however, the section is there to stay. Whether there will be anything appearing in it in the new future depends on whether anything interesting on the subject surfaces.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Not that any one person's opinion matters more than Russ's ultimately, but here's mine...

Some people are interested in the 4E rumors. Some aren't. Including them provides a service for those who are interested. Those who aren't can, as with any other topic or subject, feel free to ignore it.

I think some of this complaining has more to do with people's fears/uncertainty about the future of this site and the community than with 4E itself. I personally am concerned myself. Are we going to have edition wars? Will there be a mass exodus of one or the other type of player if this site decides to deliver 4E news? The notion of a separate forum for 4E bothers me, actually. I have a hope, unrealistic perhaps, that 3E and 4E people could hang out at EN World in peace and harmony, holding hands and singing happy songs. I think we're seeing evidence that this scenario is unlikely.

Ultimately, if someone has to storm off in a huff over this stuff, I hope it's anyone who is so entrenched in their version of the game that they can't have fun and play nice in a sandbox built to accommodate more than one way of playing. I don't want people like that setting the tone here.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Morrus said:
Ah, sorry - thanks for letting me know what EN World is supposed to be about. ;)

My apologies, I didn't mean to come off like that. I was saying it as an obvious statement, such as "McDonald's sells hamburgers." ;)

It's up to date.

I tried russ@en-world.freeserve.co.uk and got an mailer daemon. *shrugs*

Re. discussion of 4E news - people can discuss whatever they like on EN World as long as it breaks no rules.

I agree. I wasn't trying to say that people couldn't discuss what they want.

If the conversations are not to your liking, then I'm afraid you'll just have to not involve yourself in them. I don't read FR threads, and there's a hell of a lot of them about.

I don't involve myself in them, though sometimes it's hard not to look. :eek:

If people think the occasional bit of 4E rumour is somehow detracting from their use of the site (I'm not sure how it would), then I apologise; however, the section is there to stay. Whether there will be anything appearing in it in the new future depends on whether anything interesting on the subject surfaces.

I'm not saying anything should be taken down. Quite the contrary. I support the right to discuss 4e, speculate on it, etc. to the heart's content.

All I am asking for is that the discussion have an area of its own so that it can continue to be discussed while not permeating the general forum. That would be a win-win, IMO. Ultimately, the site is yours and I will respect your decision.

Also, my apologies if I came off more heavy-handed than I intended. You do a fine job on the site, and I appreciate it being a continued resource for the community. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Dragonhelm said:
I tried russ@en-world.freeserve.co.uk and got an mailer daemon. *shrugs*

That's my old email address (months old), but I'm not aware of anywhere it's listed on this site. If I've missed somewhere, I need to change it - could you let me know where you saw it?

The current (correct) email address is available via the "Contact Morrus" link at the bottom of every page or my profile.

I'm not saying anything should be taken down. Quite the contrary. I support the right to discuss 4e, speculate on it, etc. to the heart's content.

That wasn't directed at you specifically.

I'm not planning on a separate forum for 4E for a couple of reasons:

1) It's a "fad" subject at present; in a couple of months I'm fairly sure the discussion will die down to the same level as, say, 1E, 2E or various non-d20 games. That's to say it will crop up, but not often.

2) If it did become relevant, much of what Eric said holds true for me, too. I don't want to divide people. If people want to talk about 4E in General Discussion, I'm OK with that; if they want to talk about GURPS in General Discussion, I'm OK with that, too - although I won't be participating. :)

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Morrus said:
That's my old email address (months old), but I'm not aware of anywhere it's listed on this site. If I've missed somewhere, I need to change it - could you let me know where you saw it?

It was on the contact info page.

The current (correct) email address is available via the "Contact Morrus" link at the bottom of every page or my profile.

Missed that.

I'm not planning on a separate forum for 4E for a couple of reasons:

1) It's a "fad" subject at present; in a couple of months I'm fairly sure the discussion will die down to the same level as, say, 1E, 2E or various non-d20 games. That's to say it will crop up, but not often.

2) If it did become relevant, much of what Eric said holds true for me, too. I don't want to divide people. If people want to talk about 4E in General Discussion, I'm OK with that; if they want to talk about GURPS in General Discussion, I'm OK with that, too - although I won't be participating. :)

That's fair enough, and I agree with the reasoning. I don't want to see the fan base divided either. I want to discuss gaming, no matter the edition. AD&D, d20, GURPS, whatever...it's all good to me. :)

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Not that this will get around or make much impact (I'm surprised someone else hasn't bought it up) Jesse Decker from WotC at a product seminar regarded 4e talk with thoughts of the following:

First, he chuckled. There's no need for a new rules set. R&D is very happy with the rules and now WotC designers will work over the next few years to making game play easier and more fun, with an emphasis on story in their products. There is no push from any management or any bean counters for a new edition, sales are strong and going very well. The core rules are robust and strong, and they are doing their job all too well. He even made some comparrison along the lines of "R&D would be just as happy if 3.5 had a longer run than 1st or 2nd edition did."

This isn't verbatim of course, but I only heard it a couple days ago. :)

-DM Jeff

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads