• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(EPIC) Out of Character I

GoldenEagle

First Post
Cast of Characters

In an effort to move things forward (and at the risk of seeming overly excited about this game), here are the characters posted or in progress. Any idea on a start time, frequency of posts, etc?

Buzzard - Reardon the Smith (Fighter 20)

Keia - Verra Frimson "The Hawk" (Elven Nomad)

GE - Malibeem Lightfoot (Halfling Ranger 1/Rogue 19)

Jemal - William Masterson (Fighter 10 / Weapons Master 10)

Dalamar - Veit Ungart (Dwarf Mage 20)

Janos Ard. - Nameless (Wizard 20)

TFO - ?

Sollir ?

Reaper ?

DM_Matt - Psionic Constructionist

The Waiting List: Lichtenhart, Leopold

Creamsteak

Explorer
I think it is slightly curious that those three are the ones who still havn't posted. When they are done, I'll try and open up the first thread, which will just be the pre-dungeon RP to help introduce the DM to your characters. You'll basically be free to describe the kingdoms you own/saved/killed and all that other fun stuff.

(Did I succeed at my Innuendo check?)

The dungeon will house a Divine Rank, which I hope is appropriate motivation for all of your characters. If it isn't... maybe preventing the others from getting it will be.

reapersaurus

Explorer
OK.
I've been fencepost-sitting on this one, but if you remembered to include me in the list, and are waiting for my entry, than I will try to give it a go.

Seriously, I take the idea of an epic-level character so seriously that the amount of work in thinking up a back-story to start, not to mention the stories/anecdotes/gear/etc that a character of that experience would have is daunting to me personally.

I haven't looked at the submitted characters yet, but in my mind, they should be like 4 typed pages long each (to do proper justice to that experienced of character). Hell, the stories/explanations of how all that gear was obtained would be pages, if you did it all out, right?

So to be dumb, and for purposes of clarification....
cs - what is the setup of the game again? Brief overview, etc? (there's gonna be a intro dungeon-escaoe thingy which sounds cool, i know, but what else am i missing?)

And I gotta read up on the epic stuff -
cs, did you say that we won't be obtaining epic levels, or something?
If we were, than as i understand, you have to be (for example) Pal20 before getting the major benefits of Epic stuff, right?
In other words, if you multiclass, you can't get Epic feats?

And the paladin interests me, even without a dragon mount.
However, the limitation of dungeon-crawling pushes me into a halfling paladin riding a celestial wardog, or something, which I've been hesitant to 'go there'.
Also, my personal thoughts are that high-level paladins are screwed, not obtaining almost anything (their spells are triple-penalized (caster level, selection, and slots)) and all they get is more Remove Disease.
Most Paladin re-works include more Smites per day at higher levels -
would you be interested in allowing something like that, cs?

any thoughts about epic level gaming or a Pal20 would be welcomed.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Monte Cook's Book of Hallowed Might has an alternate Paladin that gains some decent abilities at higher level - mostly dealing with a personal weapon. At 20th (and building the character at that level), the weapon loses some of its gleam (since you can just build your own).

Keia

reapersaurus

Explorer
ya, as i surmise (perhaps incorrectly), Monte likes giving classes (and PrC's) some innate abilities that can easily be bought in a weapon or the like.

I've never understood that from a gaming mechanic perspective.
It makes the class weaker overall if you bundle in weapon abilities with the class abilities.
Class abilities SHOULD be unique things that you can't buy, and should (IMO) be much more powerful than magic items (else, your character is just the sum of his gear, not a heroic figure on his/her own).

Creamsteak

Explorer
reapersaurus said:
Seriously, I take the idea of an epic-level character so seriously that the amount of work in thinking up a back-story to start, not to mention the stories/anecdotes/gear/etc that a character of that experience would have is daunting to me personally.
That's admirable.

I haven't looked at the submitted characters yet, but in my mind, they should be like 4 typed pages long each (to do proper justice to that experienced of character). Hell, the stories/explanations of how all that gear was obtained would be pages, if you did it all out, right?
Right. If this was a long-term game, I would attempt to influence players to do such, but I'm planning on this game only going from 20th-26th level, possibly as high as 30th. It won't be too overly important to decide where the gear came from, as much as your characters motives and reactions. Once you can figure out the mind-set of your character, you should be fine for this game.
So to be dumb, and for purposes of clarification....
cs - what is the setup of the game again? Brief overview, etc? (there's gonna be a intro dungeon-escaoe thingy which sounds cool, i know, but what else am i missing?)
I don't want to reveal too much before play begins. Establish your characters Base of Operations, and decide on the best way to motivate your character. If you have deities and Demigods, this game will be using the "Divine Spark" theory. A Divine Spark will exist (and use it's powers to influence) the dungeon that will be the setting. If your character wouldn't be motivated to achieve it for himself, perhaps he should be trying to prevent some of the other players from getting it.

And I gotta read up on the epic stuff -
cs, did you say that we won't be obtaining epic levels, or something?
If we were, than as i understand, you have to be (for example) Pal20 before getting the major benefits of Epic stuff, right?
In other words, if you multiclass, you can't get Epic feats?

You will be obtaining Epic Levels. Actually, for Epic Feats (specifically), you get one at 21st level, one at 24th, one at 27th, and one at 30th nomatter what class you are. However, in order to haul the BONUS epic feats of a class, you must have reached the highest possible level in that class. In other words, a fighter 15/Ranger 5 cannot select epic feats for his fighter Bonus Feats, however, he can select bonus feats at levels 21, 24, 27, and 30. I hope that helps.

And the paladin interests me, even without a dragon mount.
However, the limitation of dungeon-crawling pushes me into a halfling paladin riding a celestial wardog, or something, which I've been hesitant to 'go there'.
Also, my personal thoughts are that high-level paladins are screwed, not obtaining almost anything (their spells are triple-penalized (caster level, selection, and slots)) and all they get is more Remove Disease.
Most Paladin re-works include more Smites per day at higher levels -
would you be interested in allowing something like that, cs?

any thoughts about epic level gaming or a Pal20 would be welcomed.

You can have the dragon mount, I just don't see you bringing it into the dungeon. Also, keep this little note in mind: The dungeon will manipulate every character in it. You know this beforehand. Do you really want to risk a good friend like the Dragon Mount by bringing him/her along?

Also, I'm fine with Paladin re-works, but there is a PRC in the ELH that makes Paladins really badass, which seems to be my natural inclination after level 20.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
CS-I'm with reaper on this one. My whole concept would be along the same lines. Very old PC (using my namesake Leopold here) for this one and that i would progress through 20-30 levels in rogues with. Backstory? about a page, and the only book i'd use would be PHB and DMG. No celestial bodies, no wererat abilities, straight up halfing rogue 20. I want to see how it would breakdown at that level if it would.

Basic concept: Money=Powers and the more money i have the more powerful i become. Being a god would make it that much easier to accumlate wealth and power but having some fun along the way also helps. very carefree, very fun loving halfing, except loot, then it's business....Is this your iconic halfling? Perhaps, but always with a twist.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I need to look back to see who posted first, but Janos is out of Epic (private matter). I didn't want it to come to this but, I have my reasons.

Janos Audron

Explorer
Yep, what Creamsteak said. I've been a bad boy in real life, and Creamsteak has decided to punish me for that.

I wish you all a lot of fun with gaming.

Remove ads