D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide (2024)

D&D (2024) D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide (2024)

Reynard

Legend
Maybe we're cross talking? Like, why would it matter if one wizard used slots and another spell points? One used armor to increase AC and one to reduce damage? Also, I don't want to derail the thread
Because the DMs job includes, among other things, managing encounter balance and rules interpretation. You don't think that having every PC operate under different rules would create a massive burden on the GM?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
There are 100 3rd party options for this. Why not use one of those?
Mostly because I want concise and easy to use monster creation rules, and not just stat blocks that I have to reverse engineer.

4e, for instance, had a highly tuned, yet simple monster formula that could fit on a business card.

But also it would mean integration with D&D beyond, which is currently quite unfriendly to create custom monsters with.

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
It will be interesting to see what use this new book will be. It will have magic items, so it will have that going for it. Outside of that? We've had years and years to look at the optional modules for the game, so I'd hope for some better designed and more detailed options this time around. I'm not a new DM, but it seems there's been a lot of talk about making the DMG more newbie friendly. That's not what I need, but it would be nice to see.

It will be interesting to see what use this new book will be. It will have magic items, so it will have that going for it. Outside of that? We've had years and years to look at the optional modules for the game, so I'd hope for some better designed and more detailed options this time around. I'm not a new DM, but it seems there's been a lot of talk about making the DMG more newbie friendly. That's not what I need, but it would be nice to see.

There will be the unannounced setting in it.

Speaking of which what if Vecna: Eve of Ruin is the official launch of 5e Greyhawk legalizing it for dmsguild, not 1D&D DMG, which is instead Council of Wyrms or Ghostwalk or something instead? Or really out there like Eldraine or Kaldheim?

Could they fit Greyhawk into 1 chapter in either book?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There will be the unannounced setting in it.

Speaking of which what if Vecna: Eve of Ruin is the official launch of 5e Greyhawk legalizing it for dmsguild, not 1D&D DMG, which is instead Council of Wyrms or Ghostwalk or something instead? Or really out there like Eldraine or Kaldheim?

Could they fit Greyhawk into 1 chapter in either book?
Vecna is pretty busy, with 32 Dungeons and a 30 Monster high Level bestiary. I don't expect that it will have significant Gazateer material.

A chapter in the DMG is more than adequate to cover the original Folio version of Greyhawk, however, which was the whole setting in 32 1E pages.

Vecna is pretty busy, with 32 Dungeons and a 30 Monster high Level bestiary. I don't expect that it will have significant Gazateer material.

A chapter in the DMG is more than adequate to cover the original Folio version of Greyhawk, however, which was the whole setting in 32 1E pages.

If it was only 32 pages it might be covered by the early history of D&D book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If it was only 32 pages it might be covered by the early history of D&D book.
But we know what is in there, and 80's Setting material is not it.

I do believe Greyhawk will ne presented in adequately complete format in the DMG, don't see any other Setting material this year (aside from some frame stuff for the Infinite Staircase).

But we know what is in there, and 80's Setting material is not it.

I do believe Greyhawk will ne presented in adequately complete format in the DMG, don't see any other Setting material this year (aside from some frame stuff for the Infinite Staircase).

We do know some original edition Greyhawk material will be in it, maybe that will count, maybe not.

But if Greyhawk can be condense into 32 pages without ruining the setting, then that could do the job in the DMG as well.

I'm also interested in the cosmology chapter, like will it contain more Spelljammer and newer cosmological content like mentions of the Astral Sea, Wildspace, Astral Dominions, Radiant Citadel, etc...? Any mention of MtG as alternate Cosmology choices?

Remove ads