• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!
D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide (2024)

D&D (2024) D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide (2024)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
5e 2014 also has a simple monster formula that could fit on business card ... albeit not on purpose.

(front)
bc1.png

(back)
bc2.png
That guy should totally write a monster book!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For me, it was PAINFUL as the DM adjudicating skills to constantly hop back and forth between the Players Handbook and the DMs Guide in order to doublecheck all of the relevant details. I want all of the necessary information in one book. Ideally on one page.
There have always been rules that are player facing, and those not player facing. It was the same in the 2014 book, but...not well organized in one place. This is a huge improvement as a reference resource, just conceptually.

Because the DMs job includes, among other things, managing encounter balance and rules interpretation. You don't think that having every PC operate under different rules would create a massive burden on the GM?
Wait, I thought people wanted PCs to be vastly different? Don't tell me you like "samelyness" un your PCs??

Oofta

Legend
Wait, I thought people wanted PCs to be vastly different? Don't tell me you like "samelyness" un your PCs??
One of the issues I had with 4E was that although every PC had the same basic AEDU structure, every power was unique. Not as big a deal in a home game but running an LFR public game? When you have to DM for people that includes the handful who feel the need to cheat stretch the rules to "win"? No thanks.

On the flip side, I also help out new players with their PCs on a regular basis, so no I don't want multiple versions of the same class and subclass running around. I have enough to be familiar with.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I was specifically referring to people playing by the same rules. The person I responded to seemed to suggest you could use different variant rules for different PCs to mollify players with different preferences. That would be a nightmare.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I was specifically referring to people playing by the same rules. The person I responded to seemed to suggest you could use different variant rules for different PCs to mollify players with different preferences. That would be a nightmare.
"mollify" seems like a pretty judgy word.....and no, it would not be a nightmare. We disagree.

Remove ads