• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!
D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide (2024)

D&D (2024) D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide (2024)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We do know some original edition Greyhawk material will be in it, maybe that will count, maybe not.

But if Greyhawk can be condense into 32 pages without ruining the setting, then that could do the job in the DMG as well.

I'm also interested in the cosmology chapter, like will it contain more Spelljammer and newer cosmological content like mentions of the Astral Sea, Wildspace, Astral Dominions, Radiant Citadel, etc...? Any mention of MtG as alternate Cosmology choices?
The 70's Greyhawk OD&D supplement is in the book, butnit has close to no Setting information about Breyhawk, mainly its new Class and Monster material.

Here's the thing about condensing Greyhawk to 32 pages: the original actual Greyhawk book was a 32 page module, basically a map and a booklet in a folio. 32 pages isneven condensing the Setting, that's the standard core. Evwm the longer box ser is largely superfluous additions like weather rolling charts. A single chapter in the DMG is more than enough to get everything Gygaxian in the Setting, which is the real deal.

Cosmology will play. Alot into what they've done in Spelljammer and Planescape, no doubt, and provide similar tools as the 2014 DMG most likely in terms of Planar rules.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Really? You have no idea why different players playing by different rules while trying to run a game would be a problem?
The DM decides if any optional rules are in use and informs the players. The optional point buy rule is in the current Player's Handbook alongside the standard array and I don't see players having problems using the same rule to create a character at the start of a campaign.

Yaarel

He-Mage
I was really hoping they include better monster making rules, cause we could really use those.
Monster making rules can easily be in the Monster Manual.

But, I think I want, how to create a monster and its statblock to be in the Players Handbook.

The Players Handbook already has every rule that is necessary to play D&D. Having Humanoid DM-player characters be the combat encounters is sufficient. But do-it-yourself monster statblocks mean the DM can use the Players Handbook game rules for all kinds encounters. Players can use it to customize a familiar or mount.

But I want player-facing content in the Players Handbook to familiarize, show how to, and encourage players to become a DM. The players will know all of the rules to play D&D. The details for DMing are in the DMs Guide, but players should get used to the idea that they can be a DM too.

Yaarel

He-Mage
I dunno if variant rules are going to be a concern this time around. This is a section for all the DM side rules, apparently, yes.
For me, it was PAINFUL as the DM adjudicating skills to constantly hop back and forth between the Players Handbook and the DMs Guide in order to doublecheck all of the relevant details. I want all of the necessary information in one book. Ideally on one page.

At the same time, I consider variant rules to be part of setting building. I welcome them to be away from player facing, but accessible to the DM if useful.

I want variant rules like, how to switch a slots-per-long-rest Wizard to a points-per-short-rest instead. (Compare LaserLlama Psion with such a spell point system.) I want to see variant abilities that add Athletics and Perception as seventh and eight abilities. And so on.

Because I want the Players Handbook to be both as simple as possible and as complete as possible, I dont see how the variant rules can be the Players Handbook, even if I prefer some of them. As long as the variants are well thought out and easy to implement, I am all for them being in the DMs Guide.

Yaarel

He-Mage
Mostly because I want concise and easy to use monster creation rules, and not just stat blocks that I have to reverse engineer.

4e, for instance, had a highly tuned, yet simple monster formula that could fit on a business card.

But also it would mean integration with D&D beyond, which is currently quite unfriendly to create custom monsters with.
5e 2014 also has a simple monster formula that could fit on business card ... albeit not on purpose.

(front)
bc1.png

(back)
bc2.png

Mostly because I want concise and easy to use monster creation rules, and not just stat blocks that I have to reverse engineer.

4e, for instance, had a highly tuned, yet simple monster formula that could fit on a business card.

But also it would mean integration with D&D beyond, which is currently quite unfriendly to create custom monsters with.
They have mentioned before that revised encounter building and monster creation rules are part of the 2024 revision

Remove ads