Quests From The Infinite Staircase

D&D 5E Quests From The Infinite Staircase

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This thread is for the general discussion of Quests From The Infinite Staircase. Click on Overview for more information.
  • Adventure Anthology
  • For character levels 1 to 13.
  • This anthology weaves together six classic DUNGEONS & DRAGONS adventures while updating them for the game’s fifth edition. The Infinite Staircase holds doors leading to fantastic realms. It’s home to the noble genie Nafas, who hears wishes made throughout the multiverse and recruits heroes to fulfill them.
  • Release Date: July 16, 2024

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OK, so we know that this anthology of classic Adventures will have 6 I Adventurez from the past. So far we know that S4 Loat Caverns of Tsojcanth is one of them, and Perkins showed some fresh art with scenes from S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks si that seems a likely contender as well.

Thst leaves 4 more Adventures, thst could come from anywhere in tge furst 40 years of D&D material. The frame narrative of a powerful Genie living in yhe Infinite Staircase apparently sending out PCs on cosmic commando raids means that Settting is no Barrier for inclusion in the set.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Worth noting thst this book was announced after a panel from WotC top developers going over the history of Adventures and calling out some specific significant examples from D&D history

Adventures name checked that are not currently published in 5E are, including the S modules thst appear to be in this anthology:

• The Sunken Shadow (Dungeon)
  • House of Cards (Dungeon)
  • T1 The Village of Hommlet
  • the DL series from Dragonlance
  • Red Hand of Doom
  • City of the Spider Queen
  • S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
  • Shadows of the Last War (Eberron)
  • S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
  • Gates of Firestorm Peak

TheSword

Legend
Worth noting thst this book was announced after a panel from WotC top developers going over the history of Adventures and calling out some specific significant examples from D&D history

Adventures name checked that are not currently published in 5E are, including the S modules thst appear to be in this anthology:

• Red Hand of Doom
Some of those (Red Hand of Doom and City of the Spider Queen) are very long and unlikely to be in. Which is a shame as they’re the only ones on the list that really appeal to me. Through I know @GuyBoy is excited for Tsojcanth.

Very curious to see what goes in there.

I wonder if there will be at least one of the Planescape adventures from AD&D?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Some of those (Red Hand of Doom and City of the Spider Queen) are very long and unlikely to be in. Which is a shame as they’re the only ones on the list that really appeal to me. Through I know @GuyBoy is excited for Tsojcanth.

I would say that you are correct: the nature of the frame narrative (cosmic commando force with .ultiversal strike capability) and the two Adventures that seem to be in (S3 & S4) suggest that intricate but compact Dungeon experiences are the goal here: Firestorm Peak seems fairly likely, to me, and those two Dungeon Adventures also might fit well, after having looked into them a bit.

Quickleaf

Legend

• Red Hand of Doom
Ah, good memory!

Well, Gates of Firestorm Peak - as much as I liked it - is a 130 page beast, so probably not a good fit for an anthology. It would need heavy cutting to fit.

Same issue with Red Hand of Doom clocking a similar page count.

Reynard

Legend

I just want to chime in with:

Red Hand of Doom is the best adventure WotC has ever produced for any edition.

That is all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ah, good memory!

Well, Gates of Firestorm Peak - as much as I liked it - is a 130 page beast, so probably not a good fit for an anthology. It would need heavy cutting to fit.

Same issue with Red Hand of Doom clocking a similar page count.
96 pages, actually: the page count on DMsGuild is inflated by counters and other paraphernalia. And 96 pages in 2E page count comes out to far less in 5E: 5E books are way more information dense than AD&D stuff. Red Hand of Foom would have a higher word count, being 3.5.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But let's think about page count:

Yawning Portal dropped the art handouts from S1 entirely, so I would expect S3 would also drop the art booklet material, maybe with some splash page callbacks at most. S4 came with a large extended bestiary, including many Monsters wither one, not used the Adventure, or 2, found in the 5E Monster Manual, so the page count there will likely be lower because of that. The whole anthology of Adventures will be 6 chapters split between 224-320 pages, most likely. So an average of somewhere between 32 and 50 pages, though with room for variation there.

Remove ads