• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Treasure of the Tierra Padre... [Knight Otu Judging]

Pbartender

First Post
msd said:
<OOC>
I will need to get some more supplies before we head off. Will we be allowed to do that? Sorry for the newbie question...thx!
</OOC>

OOC: I'll direct you to one of my previous posts...

Pbartender said:
"Certainly," he replies. "I can supply you with mounts and mules, plus any provisions you may require... within reason, of course."

DM-Rocco said:
OOC, Nimsgod says I need to pay 100gold for my familiar, something I didn't know, so I will have to get rid of the alchemy bags that I have to pay for him. Other than that and some food suplies, or the generousity of the DM giving us rings of sustenance:D , I am ready. Oh, damn it, forgive the newbie spell casting question, do we need marterial components, I think most of my spells don't need them, but I should know.

OOC: Yes, you have to spend 100 gp for a familiar. That's very clear in the rules... And yes, you do need spell components to cast spells that require material components (check the spell's description). That is also very clear in the rules.

Pbartender

First Post
msd said:
"You are familiar with Orussus? Where might we purchase such a map?

"Oh, no need for that," Rupert assures him as he digs through his pockets. "Ah! Here we are..."

normal_Orussus%20Region%20Map.jpg

El Jefe said:
"So long as the dragon is no longer around, this doesn't seem too difficult. Still, a swamp is no safe place for an untended beast. I suggest that you send one along with us to mind the mounts if we must leave them somewhere...a stablehand, perhaps, or a simple man-at-arms if your concern merits it."

"I'll see what I can do. I think I have a useless nephew or two lazing about. I'll him over with the mounts and supplies."

DM-Rocco said:
"My good sir, it seems as if I have run low a bit low on cash, is there an advance, I would like to purchase a few alchemy bags? Also, I have questions about types of creatures that we may face on this road, we are traveling to a swampy area, can we expect undead, lizard folk, Yanti?

"I'm afraid I've never travelled through a swamp in my life... Dirty, dingy, mucky places. I can't honestly say what you'll find there. Heh... I don't even know what a 'Yanti' is! Ha! That's why I'm hiring you fellows! Ha ha!"

"And I'm sorry, but no advances. As according to the contract, your salary and bonuses will be paid on completion ofthe expedition."

"Advance pay... Oh ho! That's a good one. Ha! Pay a mercenary in advance, and they just go drinking and whoring it all away until they forget what you hired them for."

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Pbartender said:
"And I'm sorry, but no advances. As according to the contract, your salary and bonuses will be paid on completion ofthe expedition."

"Advance pay... Oh ho! That's a good one. Ha! Pay a mercenary in advance, and they just go drinking and whoring it all away until they forget what you hired them for."

"Now why didn't I think of that on my last job?" Katherine exclaims, "Here I spent the advance money on equiptment and hiring a crew for the ship we were using!" Brushing off any further comments, she continues, "With the use of spare mounts and some assistance in guiding and guarding them, I think we will do fine. I have some small cash reserves I could lend to anyone who needs basic equiptment for the trip, but I suggest that we get moving on this. Oirhander, perhaps you and I could compare the old and new maps and plan a good route while some of the others do any last minute shopping that needs done? I'll put ten or twenty gold towards some trail rations and bedrolls, maybe a few good lengths of strong rope, and we can all meet at the stables when the horses will be available." She ends this last with a questioning look to their new patron.

Pbartender

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
I'll put ten or twenty gold towards some trail rations and bedrolls.

"There's no need to bother with that. As I'd said before, I'll provide you with whatever provisions and tools you'll need for the journey... Within reason. Just because I won't trust my employees with money before the job is done, doesn't mean I won't give them the proper tools to accomplish it."

"I trust you all have sufficient armament and armor to protect yourselves?"

"My nephew will be waiting outside the Inn in half an hour with the horses and supplies ready to go."

El Jefe

First Post
Oirhandir's strangely reflective eyes dart from one map to the other, comparing the two. "Katherine DeSylvia", he announces, "These maps do not quite agree. Perhaps the road to Fallon passed closer to the River Roares in days past." He traces on the new map with his finger as he continues. "I suggest that we take the road to Fallon until we reach the crossroads with the road to Lathirn. Then we can take that road until we reach the River Roares, which we can follow upstream until we find the mill or what's left of it." He pauses for a moment, then adds: "Come to think of it, we might as well cross the River Roares at the bridge to Lathirn, and follow the south bank upstream. We'll still have to contend with the swamp, but at least the river crossing will be easier."

Turning to Rupert, he replies. "Thank you again for your help. I look forward to meeting your nephew; if he can be here with the mounts in half an hour's time, perhaps he isn't as lazy as you fear." He grins as he mentions his prospective travelling companion.

Oirhandir looks about the room, ready to return to Joe's bar if the discussion is finished.

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
El Jefe said:
Oirhandir's strangely reflective eyes dart from one map to the other, comparing the two. "Katherine DeSylvia", he announces, "These maps do not quite agree. Perhaps the road to Fallon passed closer to the River Roares in days past." He traces on the new map with his finger as he continues. "I suggest that we take the road to Fallon until we reach the crossroads with the road to Lathirn. Then we can take that road until we reach the River Roares, which we can follow upstream until we find the mill or what's left of it." He pauses for a moment, then adds: "Come to think of it, we might as well cross the River Roares at the bridge to Lathirn, and follow the south bank upstream. We'll still have to contend with the swamp, but at least the river crossing will be easier."

Looking as well, Katherine says "But we'll still have one river to cross, albiet the Gallgo rather than the Roares. That bridge is before the joining of the two. Also with the Mill in ruins, I'm not sure that we'll be able to find that landmark from across the river, and it will be an important one."

ooc: Pb, does either bard know anything about the depth and minor crossings of this river? I don't want to make assumptions about how deep or fast it is, or if there are likely to be fordable areas and/or ferries along out route. Of course if it is deep and wide enough to be a major trade route, katherine does happen to own 20% interest in a ship currently in port. ;) (spoils from the last adventure as yet unsold and divied because that is on a break rather than over.)

El Jefe

First Post
Oirhandir considers the half-elf's words. "I agree", he replies, "that finding the mill is paramount. Without that, we may wander endlessly in search of the mound in the swamp. Perhaps you are right. If there was a mill, there may have been a dam across the river there, and we may be able to make a crossing at that spot. But you do agree, do you not, that we should at least go to the bridge across the River Roare? Perhaps what we find there will help us decide which bank is best."

Oirhandir waits patiently for her reply. Still, his feet itch to be travelling down that road. Will the mill be largely intact, or just stones strewn about? Will there be a dam that still holds water, or just more stones in the river? Oirahndir is eager to find out.

Pbartender

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
ooc: Pb, does either bard know anything about the depth and minor crossings of this river? I don't want to make assumptions about how deep or fast it is, or if there are likely to be fordable areas and/or ferries along out route.

OOC: As any major river, it varies from wide, slow and shallow to narrow, deep and fast. Much of it is navigable to river barges, but for the occasional rapids and waterfalls that give the river its name. There undoubtedly places where the river is slow and shallow enough to ford, but few of them are mapped, since most everyone tends to use the bridges along the roadways.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
El Jefe said:
Oirhandir considers the half-elf's words. "I agree", he replies, "that finding the mill is paramount. Without that, we may wander endlessly in search of the mound in the swamp. Perhaps you are right. If there was a mill, there may have been a dam across the river there, and we may be able to make a crossing at that spot. But you do agree, do you not, that we should at least go to the bridge across the River Roare? Perhaps what we find there will help us decide which bank is best."

Katherine nods. "Prerhaps we may even divide our company and have the majority follow the far bank with the pack animals while a couple of us continue on our side to find the site of the mill. Then the main group could make camp and no matter how far the others had to travel to ford we wouldn't lose track of our landmark." She stands and heads for the door. "In any case we will have at least a day's ride to settle the details, so I'm going to check on some things I left with Joe, wash myself clean of salt and meet you all at the stables in half an hour."

El Jefe

First Post
Oirhandir nods in agrreement, then addresses the group. "I'll be out front in half an hour's time." Then to Rupert, "Thank you again, for this opportunity. You won't be disappointed."

As he turns for the door, Oirhandir is startled by the pointedness of Eruin's ears. "How could I have missed that?", he wonders to himself. "There must be some elven blood in him, I must find out if he knows the High Tongue", the elf concludes. He strides from the back room to the main room of the inn, covering his surprise as well as he can.

Remove ads