The Treasure of the Tierra Padre... [Knight Otu Judging]

El Jefe

First Post
As the woman enters the room, Oirhandir's face first registers surprise, then brightens. Although she appears to be a half-breed, still they might have much in common...and she is a pleasure to behold, as well!

Oirhandir smiles and says in Elvish,
"Welcome
Katherine DeSylvia.
I am
Oirhandir.
This is our patron,
Rupert Vaneelkelen,
who you may have heard of. It is he who has the final say as to who joins our party, though I am sure he will have you if you agree to his terms."

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
(ooc: assuming she get the same basic spiel the other's have, I'll give you some checks now to get things out of the way.

Before she can think twice, Katherine finds a contract and pen in her hands, with the almost informative lecture of what she might be getting into.

Bardic Knowlege check: 12 +3 = 15.

Result:
Rupert Vaneelkelen is an inheritor of a fortune so vast as to make him independently weathly. No one seems to know how his family actually made its seemingly unending fortune, but speculation abounds... Various merchantile ventures, piracy, alchemical processes, deals with demons and so on.

He spends most of his time and money satisfying fabulously expensive and eccentric pet projects and hobbies. He has been the patron of a great many adventurers in the past, and more of them have become rich because of it than haven't.

Knowlege (history) check: 12 +6 = 18.

Result:
In the early days of Orussus, A great many dragons inhabited the area... Especially the Stonespike mountains and the Larkenvald Reach. Some think they might be the reason the previous inhabitants of the city left. It is certainly the impetus that originally drew so many adventurers tothe city. There are many tales of dragon slayings that detail the magnificent hordes recovered. There some that tales that do not mention a horde at all. But there are none that tell of the death of a dragon, and a horde that was left behind... After all, if you killed a dragon but couldn't find its horde, would you tell people that?

Sense Motive check: 8 +6 = 14.

"Oh, certainly," he replies as if it were the punchline to a great joke, "What else do you think a lock of hair or a drop of blood would be used for? Heh heh... Brewing tea? Ha!"

"Truly," he continues, reigning in his laughter, "the lawyers require it for the contract. They have people with a magical talent for tracking down defaulters, should anyone break a contract and the hair makes it much easier for them to do their job, you see."

The explaination certainly makes sense to you.

Kahuna Burger said:
...and a detect magic on the contract itself.

You sense no magical auras within the room.

Last edited:

DM-Rocco

Explorer
OOC, Calamar is waiting to see what happens with the new arrival, in the mean time, I have updated my characters, in case you need to look at his stats.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Pbartender said:
You sense no magical auras within the room.

er, if this were true it would be cause for concern, as katherine is currently carrying a minor magic item (wand of clw).... ;) Do you mean that nothing detects as magic that she wouldn't expect, or was your earlier statement correct? Sorry to be picky.

If you meant the former, Katherine will accept the situation, and braid off a lock of her hair to cut neatly and return with the signed contract. "There's a bit of salt in it, I'm afraid," she says with an impish grin. "I hope it won't ruin the taste of the tea. May I see the map in question?" She has both apraise (+4) and decipher script (+3) if either will help authenticate the age and origen of the map to any extent. Also, of course, looking for any notations of writings found at the horde, etc (knows draconic and a few other languages). And now I will stop being a skill whore and let you run your adventure. :eek: )

katherine smiles at the elven man and replies in kind.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, sir. Lets hope for a smooth investigation."

Pbartender

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
er, if this were true it would be cause for concern, as katherine is currently carrying a minor magic item (wand of clw).... ;) Do you mean that nothing detects as magic that she wouldn't expect, or was your earlier statement correct? Sorry to be picky.

OOC: No, that's alright... I neglected to double-check PC equipment. I'd forgotten that two of you have been through previous adventures. Hold on...
You are right. Katherine sense only the aura of her healing wand. No other magic is present in the room.

"Once everyone has been signed into secrecy," Rupert glances at Calamar. "I'll bring out the map... I hope you'll forgive me for being a bit untrusting just now."

Last edited:

El Jefe

First Post
Taking his cue from Rupert, Oirhandir turns toward the dark-featured mage, who seems to be still contemplating the offer. "Well, good Sir", he says, "Are you in this or are you not?"

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Calamar the Dark pauses a moment to gather his thoughts and reflect. He makes a snap judgment, for better or worse.

"Well, it would appear that everyone is very eager to plunge into this blindly, I hate to follow that lead, but I crave adventure, count me in on one additional condition," he said as he held his hand firm to his aching side, "come strike a boon with me, I will agree to your terms as they are laid out if you could but fetch me a healer."

Whether from shear exhaustion or the aching wound in his side, Calamar the dark did little to hide the pain as he slouched to the chair.

OOC, I am still wounded from that duel;)

Gurdjieff

First Post
"I think I can speed up that process a bit." Rogier says as he stands up and walks over to Calamar. He holds his hands above some of the wounds and channels his energies, closing the wounds.
"If you'll take some advice, next time dont go fighting for no reason. Fighting isn't always the answer to everything. Sometimes it's better, and much less painful to just talk it out."

[OoC: Lay on Hands for 4 hp.]

Pbartender

First Post
OOC: I'm assuming Calamar signs, etc. once he's healed a bit?

With Calamar healed to satifaction, and all the contracts signed, Rupert pulls an old warn piece of parchment out, and spreads it out flat on the table.

On the front is a hand-drawn map, and the back contains a note written in a rather odd dialect...

"Ryed east along the roade that followes the Rivre Roars from Orussus tew Rivenblight. Passd the crossroades tew Lathirn, lyes an olde watremille. At the mille, cross the Rivre Roars and travle dew south through the swamplandes until a hye hille toppd bye a barren oake is seen. Therein lyes a cayve, which is the dragon's layr.

Two sackes of coyn, a small chest of gems and jewlry, and several weppons and maile coates of hye quality have been salvagd. It is thought that a grayter cayche is buryd in some hidden spot within the layr. Begin gathering provisions and tools for a second expedition.

-J.M."

Attachments

• Treasure.jpg
    Treasure.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 109

Remove ads