• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Suppose 4e is released, do you buy it?

Would you buy 4e (now or later)?

• Of course YES you fool! (already pre-ordering it, anyway)

Votes: 62 17.1%
  • I wouldn't want to, but failing my save would buy it anyway

Votes: 60 16.6%
  • Probably yes, if I can still use my 3.5 stuff with it

Votes: 48 13.3%
  • Maybe, but only if it really improves the game, that I doubt

Votes: 129 35.6%
  • Nope! I am tired of Wizards of the COST!

Votes: 47 13.0%
  • No, and in retaliation I changed of RPG altogether!

Votes: 16 4.4%

Crothian

First Post
Impossible to say until the game comes out. If it is good, I'll get it. If not I won't. Same with pretty much ever other game that comes out.

Mando

First Post
I will not come back to WotC, staying with HARP and C&C. 3rd felt good at first, but with time all the defaults became too much to bear. But I will have to buy PHB if others in my gaming group want to DM.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
... But I haven't gotten my fill of 3.5 yet! Can we hold on to it just a bit longer, first?

Sammael

Adventurer
Eh, Turanil, why do you even care? Didn't you, like, permanently switch to AD&D 1st edition (sorry, C&C) a few weeks ago?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
If i like it I will buy it. While I might not convert my current homebrew over, if it's a good game I'll find a way to use it.

Seeker95 said:
Scaling a yes-no question just makes the answer harder to see.
Right now "maybe" has the most. I voted "maybe", but that means "probably not".

3e was such a huge improvement on 2e, and it was almost universally acclaimed as a superior game in every way. I already don't bother to keep up with the racial books, environment books, and the countless miscelaneous books they are coming out with, I stopped at the Complete series. I won't bother with a 4e if it's just superficial changes to sell more core books, turning the game into a giant plug for minis, or it is creating an intentionally incompatible edition just to "make" people buy new books. I'm happy to run 3.5 or d20 Modern indefinitely, and see no need now for a 4th Edition.

I will buy 4e if it is a real improvement on the d20/3.x system, making the game run smoother, as easy or easier to learn and run, able to depict a wider variety of character types without burdening down the system with rules too much, while keeping the distinctive elements which makes a fantasy RPG "D&D". A 4th Edition that makes as big an improvement and leap forward as 3e was from 2e, which I see as unlikely.

GVDammerung

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
I would buy it without hesitation if it was, essentially, the current game with the addition of many of the cool options and improvements WotC and the third-party publishers have come up with.

If it was a completely different game from the ground up, I'd have to take a really long, serious look at it first.

Essentially, a "D&D Cyclopedia" thing - everything cool under one cover - save maybe in three parts - PH, MM, DMG. I'd buy that as the "D&D Cyclopedia" has to be one of the great buys of all time.

If it were new from the ground up, or as "new" as D&D can get, I'd probably buy the core books just to see what was what. Baring a complete devotion to miniatures as an essential part of the game (or cards, or tiles, or anything that could possibly be "collectible"), I'd buy follow on products IF a) the basic system was fun (not necessarily "perfect" as I don't think that possible or even an "improvement" as different can still be fun) and b) they presented an interesting new setting simultaneously with the new rules.

William Ronald

Explorer
If the new rules had the best of the third-party material, plus some refinements of the current rules, I would be tempted to buy it. However, I hope that a 4th edition is still some years away.

I would want a 4th edition to be created with a great deal of input from players and playtesting. I think classes and the standard races are among the sacred cows. Possibly, we could have other sacred cows (such as alignment), but with more options.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads