• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Suppose 4e is released, do you buy it?

Would you buy 4e (now or later)?

• Of course YES you fool! (already pre-ordering it, anyway)

Votes: 62 17.1%
  • I wouldn't want to, but failing my save would buy it anyway

Votes: 60 16.6%
  • Probably yes, if I can still use my 3.5 stuff with it

Votes: 48 13.3%
  • Maybe, but only if it really improves the game, that I doubt

Votes: 129 35.6%
  • Nope! I am tired of Wizards of the COST!

Votes: 47 13.0%
  • No, and in retaliation I changed of RPG altogether!

Votes: 16 4.4%

drothgery

First Post
As I say in every 4e thread, if the reviews and previews (and maybe flipping through the books in a store) make me think it's good, I'll buy it eventually. I don't think it'd be a good business practice to release 4e before 2008 or so (as a large and influential segment of the gamer community thinks 3.5 came out to soon), but I won't refuse to switch to mechanics that I think are better out of spite.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
The poll does not have a response for me. My answer is: Maybe. It will depend upon whether I game with a group using 4e.

My "current" (in hiatus) group just recently converted to 3.5. There will be zero interest in them chaging to a 4e for quite some time unless the changes are so dramatically fantastic that they just cannot resist.

If I were to hook up with a new group and they were running a 4e game, I would buy it so I could play.

Pants

First Post
Only if it's reeeaaaally good and still, I might just buy the Core Books to see what the fuss is about, but 3.x is good enough.

The_Gneech

Explorer
I was quick to adopt 3.5, because it fixed a lot of minor things that bugged me about 3.0. There isn't anything that bugs me about 3.5, really, beyond the stuff that bugs me about D&D generally, so I'm not going to be in any hurry to pick up a new edition at this stage.

I have been pondering getting back into writing game materials, tho, so if there is a new edition, I might pick up a copy to stay current, even if I don't switch my campaign over.

-The Gneech :cool:

just__al

First Post
I didn't want to go from 2 to 3. I had (have) TONS of 2e material. I bought the PHB though and I really liked the paradigm shifts so I went with it, eventually (although it was a little while). With 3.5 they got most of what they got wrong, right, so I went with it.

Mostly though what kicked me in the 3.0 direction was my unwillingness to homebrew EVERYTHING and it was getting harder and harder to find 2e modules and dungeon started doing 3rd Ed stuff...

As for 4th. I won't want to spend all the money all over again, but I most likely will. It's still the cheapest dollar/hr entertainment you can find and it exercises my brain.

Grodd JoJoJo

First Post
The last time this question was asked on the WotC forums, the estimated release for a 4e was "not in the next 5 years." However, if Hasbro decides it's more profitable to release it sooner, it might happen. Sales for WotC with the 3.5e are still fairly good, despite the fall in sales for other publishers. If I saw another edition in the next 2 years, I'd peruse it carefully and make up my mind then. If I didn't like it, I'd keep 3.5e or switch to True20.

Arnwyn

First Post
If I could use most/all my 3.x stuff with it, with virtually no modifications.

Since that's not likely, my answer is "nope". Considering my age, group, and current/future time constraints, 3.x is likely my last ever edition of D&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads