• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Suppose 4e is released, do you buy it?

Would you buy 4e (now or later)?

• Of course YES you fool! (already pre-ordering it, anyway)

Votes: 62 17.1%
  • I wouldn't want to, but failing my save would buy it anyway

Votes: 60 16.6%
  • Probably yes, if I can still use my 3.5 stuff with it

Votes: 48 13.3%
  • Maybe, but only if it really improves the game, that I doubt

Votes: 129 35.6%
  • Nope! I am tired of Wizards of the COST!

Votes: 47 13.0%
  • No, and in retaliation I changed of RPG altogether!

Votes: 16 4.4%

Turanil

First Post
Ah ah ah... There has been a long time since we had some 4e threads on this board. Now it's time to restart discussions about it! :D

Well, in reading about this Magic of Incarnum, a couple of posters plus me, believed (for some reason) that it was a sign of approaching 4e. It's just a hazardous guess of course, but it led me to think: What would I do if 4e was released? I would be interested to look at it but would refuse to buy. Mmmmh... yet, well, I could eventually fail my save and buy, just for the sake of buying. However, I have too many d20/3.0/3.5 stuff, and too few of them saw an actual use, so I know that I wouldn't buy anything else. Unless, the game is my dream game, something like a totally perfect Castles & Crusades absolutely designed to satisfy my personnal needs, which of course will never be the case...

So, it doesn't matter when it happens, if 4e is released, do you buy or not? We will assume that the game got interesting improvements and simplifications (to ease and speed the game), but that it is no more a perfect game than 3.5 currently is. So what do you do?

MonsterMash

First Post
If it does things to the game that take it in the direction I want then yes, otherwise I'll stick with 3.5, C&C, RQ, D20M and all those other RPGs that I've got. Given the amount of 3e material available there wouldn't be any issue about lack of support for old editions either.

Sigh...

Must you? Really? The last round of rumors just died down, man.

Besides, it's a nonsense question. You're asking if people will buy 4E no matter "when it happens," but scheduling is simply far too vital an element to rule out.

Turanil

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
You're asking if people will buy 4E no matter "when it happens," but scheduling is simply far too vital an element to rule out.
It's a simulation thread, for the fun of it. Imagine 4e is there, you don't need to know if it's 2005 or 2008. The thing is, it's you as you are now, and 4e is now available for purchase. What do you do?

In any case, the "when", I think, depends on people and their customer habits. I have stopped to buy d20/3.5 products, so at that rate (no more buying) I could be interested to buy a new edition in 2006, or better in 2007, just to get a look. But if I would continue buying stuff for d20/3.5 regularly, the arrival of 4e would be a cold shower, unless it is extremely compatible. So I don't think that to know "when" is really important, but that's me of course.

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I would not convert to Fourth Edition IF the change was as large as from Second Edition to Third Edition UNLESS it made the game near-orgasmically good.

Verequus

First Post
How can someone really answer this question, if there is no chance to look at the mechanics? For me, it is the same situation like the announcing of WoD 2.0 - the PR said, it is better than than WoD 1.0, but without at least a review to look at, no one can discuss this statement.

Turanil

First Post
RuleMaster said:
How can someone really answer this question, if there is no chance to look at the mechanics? For me, without at least a review to look at, no one can discuss this statement.
That's called marketing dude! ;) The advertising says the new edition is a wonderful improvement of the game that renders 3.5 "has been" and obsolete. Buying this 4e will be an extraordinary experience of total immersion in a new level of roleplaying while blah-blah-blah-blah. Simple as that. You don't need to know the content, only that it is right in front of your eyes, but you are told you can should buy blindly. :D Do you buy?

Last edited:

Verequus

First Post
Turanil said:
That's called marketing dude! ;) The advertising says the new edition is a wonderful improvement of the game that renders 3.5 "has been" and obsolete. Buying this 4e will be an extraordianry experience of imersion in a new level of roleplaying while blah-blah-blah-blah. Simple as that; you don't need to know the content, only that it is right in front of your eyes, and are told you cen buy blindly. :D Do you buy?

Generally, I don't buy new systems blindly. Supplements, yes, if I know the publisher/author (sometimes this strategy still fails), but no new systems.

Li Shenron

Legend
No option for me in the poll :)

I'd very likely buy the core rulebooks of a new edition, unless it became regarded as a bad edition since the start (but I doubt it'll be the case, when the time comes). But I would not buy D&D 4ed now , that for sure. I'm still enjoying 3ed and have lots of plans about it, that it would be fool from me to switch to a new ruleset, unless it was only a minor update of the game (in which case it would be easy but not worth).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads