Send In The Clowns… (or, Converting the Oddballs)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Should we add a Training section?

Venom dogs are greatly valued by wizards, as they are loyal, easy to train, and highly dangerous.

Like normal domesticated dogs, venom dogs live to serve their masters. They are quite easily trained, a fact that makes them very desirable and quite valuable (venom dog puppies of either type can go for as high as 3,000 gp on the open market). Of course, special precautions must be taken while they are being trained due to their poisonous nature. However, it is this ability to poison enemies that makes these creatures so valuable as watchdogs.

Venom dogs of either type are highly desirable as animal followers to rangers, although the opportunities of coming across one of these creatures in the wild are negligible. This is because nearly all venom dogs are specifically created as watchdogs, either for the Wizards themselves or for a particular client who wishes to purchase one. Venom dogs are treated well by their masters, so the chances of one escaping to the wild are slim. For this reason, a ranger wishing a venom dog is more than likely going to have to go out and buy one from a wizard like everyone else.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Should we add a Training section?

We can just say they're as easy to train as dogs, so use the standard Handle Animal rules. They don't appear to need Diplomacy checks before training like some magical beasts, they're already "friendly".

Do we need a cost for trained adults, puppies and eggs?

Shade

Monster Junkie
So essentially, they are treated as animals, rather than magical beasts, for the training, and don't raise the DC by 4? I could see that.

Yeah, we should have prices for the pups, eggs, and trained adults.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm not sure I like any land for environment, since they're supposed to be quite rare when not domesticated, but I guess I can go with that. Now that I look through the animals in the SRD, I think we should probably stick to just domesticated for the org, too.

I'd also agree to treating them as animals for training. For the price, we can compare to the hippogriff, also CR 2:
SRD said:
Hippogriff eggs are worth 2,000 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 3,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a hippogriff.
Since venom dogs can't fly you around, I'd go with a slightly lower price, maybe 1000 gp for an egg, 2000 for a pup, 1000 for training, and 3000 for a trained adult? Could maybe still drop that a little.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm fine with leaving it simply as "Domesticated".

The elven hound (2 HD, CR 1) costs 150 gp for a pup and 500 gp for a fully-trained specimen.

Climbdog (2 HD, CR 1) pups are worth 30 gp on the open market. Professional trainers charge 125 gp to rear or train a climbdog.

Deep hound (6 HD, CR 4) pups are worth 4,000 gp on the open market. Professional trainers charge 250 gp to train a deep hound.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Any reason to give them different feats (other than dropping Weapon Finesse)? A similar skill mix would probably work too.

Remove ads