Send In The Clowns… (or, Converting the Oddballs)

Shade

Monster Junkie
These should be pretty simple. Make 'em magical beasts with the listed HD? Use the dog stats (for viper) and riding dog stats (for scorpion)? Increase mental scores (at least Int), since these were intended to be smarter than mere animals? Add venom, and the stinger attack to the scorpion dog.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I agree to all that. Probably need two separate listings, since they don't seem very similar other than the name.

They don't seem terribly funny, though. :(

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, most of the creatures in this article aren't too hilarious. I'll choose better after we finish 'em off!

Two entries makes sense.

Added viper venom dog to Homebrews.

I borrowed the venom of a viper.

A dog has +1 natural armor, while a Small viper has +3. Its AC translates to 16, so +2 NA would fit nicely with its +3 Dex and +1 size bonus.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I'll surrender Multiattack in exchange for the claws as primary attack. ;)

Updated.

Finished?

I'd rather give it Multiattack in exchange for keeping hooves as primary attack, although I prefer it without a bonus feat.

Different strokes for different folks, eh?

It's OK as is, though.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, most of the creatures in this article aren't too hilarious. I'll choose better after we finish 'em off!

Two entries makes sense.

Added viper venom dog to Homebrews.

I borrowed the venom of a viper.

A dog has +1 natural armor, while a Small viper has +3. Its AC translates to 16, so +2 NA would fit nicely with its +3 Dex and +1 size bonus.

Yes, separate entries seems the way to go.

Shall we do the venom dog first?

The proposed stats look good.

Do we want to give it some of a Viper's skills as well as a dog's?

Dog Skills: Jump +7, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +1*
Racial - +4 to Jump, +4 Survival to Track by scent
Small Viper Skills: Balance +11, Climb +11, Hide +15, Listen +7, Spot +7, Swim +6
Racial - +8 Balance, Climb and Swim; +4 to Hide, Listen and Spot, take 10 on Climb.

Methinks I'd like to give it a Dog's skills, with the 2 extra skill ranks in Balance and Hide (so they're sneaky like a snake).

Since they have canine bodies I don't feel they should have a snake's climbing ability or racial bonus, although I would be OK with a reduced racial bonus on Balance and Swim.

Viper Venom Dog
Ranks - Balance 1, Jump 0, Hide 1, Listen 2, Spot 2, Survival 0, Swim 0
Racial - +4 to Balance, Jump, Hide, Listen, Spot and Swim, +4 Survival to Track by scent
Skills: Balance +8, Jump +7, Hide +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +1* (+5 to Track by scent), Swim +5 [Includes Alertness feat]

As for the feats, since they get 2 feats from their 3 HD I'd just give them the dog's Alertness and the Viper's Improved Initiative, plus the Track and Weapon Finesse bonus feats they have.

Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Track (B), Weapon Finesse (B).

That would change their stats so:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/balance.htmVenom Dog, Viper
Initiative: +7
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d4+1 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d4+1 plus poison)
Skills: Balance +8, Jump +7, Hide +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +1* (+5 to Track by scent), Swim +5
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Track (B), Weapon Finesse (B).

Cleon

Legend
I'd rather give it Multiattack in exchange for keeping hooves as primary attack, although I prefer it without a bonus feat.

Different strokes for different folks, eh?

It's OK as is, though.

Spoke too soon!

There are a couple of mispellings - "between" in "Two pairs of spider-like legs sprout betwen the usual four hooved legs." and "beneficial" in the following paragraphs " Its ability to spin webs also prove benefitial".

Shade

Monster Junkie
I fixed the typos in the spider-horse.

The proposed feats and skills for the venom dog appeal. You forgot the +4 speed bonus for Jump checks and the +4 size bonus for Hide checks, but I added 'em to the Update.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Any other special abilities here? If not, maybe a tough-ish CR 2. Organization: kennel? pack? (4-8)? Urban environment?

Cleon

Legend
I fixed the typos in the spider-horse.

The proposed feats and skills for the venom dog appeal. You forgot the +4 speed bonus for Jump checks and the +4 size bonus for Hide checks, but I added 'em to the Update.

Oops!

What do you fancy for Environment?

Neither a Viper's marshes or a Dog's plains seem right, so I suppose "Any land" to match the original.

Challenge Rating looks like 2 to me, mainly for its nasty venom.

SRD Dogs and Tiny to Large Vipers don't get Advancement, so I suppose Viper Dogs shouldn't either.

That's it apart from flavour & tactics.

Remove ads