• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Where are you from???

reapersaurus

Explorer
*breathes a sigh of relief*
It was a great story, then.

And damned if my gaming wife and my other wife don't sometimes look different.... or is that just when she plays her Vampire character? ;)

National Acrobat

First Post
I feel old

Todd Sale, 33 year old dude from Central Virginia (grew up in SW Florida and miss it terribly). Have a degree in History and am in Grad School working on a Master's in Comp Sci. Happily married (to a non-gamer) with 2 kids, a 6 year old daughter and a 1.5 year old son.

Work as a purchaser for a hospital.

Been gaming since 1979.

Play guitar, have been in several metal bands through the years. I love Sabbath (as you can tell by the screen name), Priest, Maiden, Armored Saint, Megadeth, Opeth, Nightwish, Sanctuary, Nevermore, Symphony X, Fates Warning, oh well you get the picture.

Shapermc

First Post
Matthew M.C. Williamson
Military (USCG)
Married (Sara)
Gaming (11 years)
21 (years of breathing Oxygen)
Location (New Orleans)
Place of Origin (Chicago)

-------Transmission Complete--------

dpdx

Explorer
YOU feel old?

I'm John, and I'm older than anyone in this thread, although not by much. Currently, while waiting for another SW game to set up, I kibbitz in the OOC Imperial Smack Thread, providing Peanut Gallery updates.

Like it says over here <-------, I'm in Portland, OR. By day, I work as a website designer under contract to the federal govt. In my gaming time, I peruse my Revised Core Rulebook, with a goal to write and submit Star Wars d20 adventures as the Ultimate Alien Anthology and other helpful books and net.guides come out.

Since I got married 6 1/2 years ago, I've learned to like certain songs from just about any kind of music. For Metal, I like Chemical Brothers (although I guess that's kind of hip-hop, too), and classic stuff like Rush, Pink Floyd, old Metallica and AC/DC (who has great Christmas songs).

Last edited:

perivas

First Post
reapersaurus said:
And I say coinkidink, as well. ;)

Well, using the term coin'ki'dink is fine when you're in your teens, but it's just not right when you're a professional approaching 30. Oh well.

I have noticed how RPG's tend to attract people who like metal. I wonder why that it.... I personally don't like metal...actually, I have never really spent time listening to it. I feel that music may currently be the last bulwark of popular poetry...as such, it's important for lyrics to get through...which metal has a tendency to mask. I could be wrong, but just my 2 cents.

P.S. Other favored terms include "mass exodus" and the word "dude".

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
Re: I feel old

National Acrobat said:
I love Sabbath (as you can tell by the screen name), Priest, Maiden, Armored Saint, Megadeth, Opeth, Nightwish, Sanctuary, Nevermore, Symphony X, Fates Warning, oh well you get the picture.
What, no Dream Theater?! :eek:

They're one of my favorites, since I'm a drummer (for.... 20 years).

And I listen to music for the Music, not the lyrics mainly.
If I wanted poetry, I'd read poetry.

While good lyrics are a nice wrapping for the music, it's not the main thing. Good lyrics are also subjective, whereas good music (IMO) is not as prone to subjectivity - there's much more skill involved in phrasing music than in phrasing words.

National Acrobat

First Post
Re: Re: I feel old

reapersaurus said:
What, no Dream Theater?! :eek:

They're one of my favorites, since I'm a drummer (for.... 20 years).

And I listen to music for the Music, not the lyrics mainly.
If I wanted poetry, I'd read poetry.

While good lyrics are a nice wrapping for the music, it's not the main thing. Good lyrics are also subjective, whereas good music (IMO) is not as prone to subjectivity - there's much more skill involved in phrasing music than in phrasing words.

Yeah, I just figured that the list I gave was getting a bit long. I like Dream Theatre, Stratovarius, et al as well. I also agree about the music. Weaving music that is good is impressive and very satisfying, personally.

Opeth would have to be my current musical fave simply because they weave a tapestry that goes from ethereal acoustic to brutal, covering all types of music. Plus their lyrics are great as well.

KitanaVorr

First Post
perivas said:

Well, using the term coin'ki'dink is fine when you're in your teens, but it's just not right when you're a professional approaching 30. Oh well.

I have noticed how RPG's tend to attract people who like metal. I wonder why that it.... I personally don't like metal...actually, I have never really spent time listening to it. I feel that music may currently be the last bulwark of popular poetry...as such, it's important for lyrics to get through...which metal has a tendency to mask. I could be wrong, but just my 2 cents.

P.S. Other favored terms include "mass exodus" and the word "dude".

HEY! What's wrong with using that word when you're a professional approaching the dreaded 30? And you can like metal and other music at the same time, can't ya? :) I like jazz, blues, classical, swing, salsa and a host of other musical forms.

I don't really consider most lyrics that poetic. If you just look at the lyrics without the music, alot of them...well are pretty ridiculously silly. There are the few that are meaningful and stand on their own, but not much.

BTW...I use the word "dude" pretty often...as well as "man" and "like" (though thankfully I grew out of the phase of saying "like" after every third word) :D

If we're gonna list more things we like, then let me add a few subject matters that I'm interested in and see how everyone can coin'ki'dink me. (uh hmm after reading that, it sounds pretty bad, but alas, don't care!)

Biology(emphasis on medical microbiology, parsitology, anatomy, embryology, evolution), chemistry(as related to physics), Physics(as related to astronomy), astronomy and astrophysics (mostly theoretical stuff like neutron stars, galaxy formation, planet formation, though I do deviate and am fascinated by the geological compositions of planets), mathematics(as related to physics, except for three dimensional calculus which is pretty fun), British Literature and Poetry(mostly the victorian and romantic period, ah Austen, Tennyson and Doyle), Archeology and Anthropology(mostly Egyptian and Asian), Military culture and strategy (just getting started on that so my knowledge is pretty erratic), Mystery novels of varying types

ack I sound like a big nerd :p so I will just stop there and quit babbling

well I know next to nothing about finances, economics and government b/c those subjects put me to sleep. (I fell asleep during my economics final)

Oh and on the subject of marital status since everyone seems to be talking about that for some reason...I have two children/spouses...on your planet you might call those furry little things with pointy ears "cats", but I think they serve pretty well as offspring that will never grow up and eat you out of house and home...ah but when they snuggle up to you, they make you forget that those little stinkers are such brats!

(lol yes i know that i'm a big fat dork....)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads