• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Reactions to NEW Episode II Trailer

Wild Karrde

First Post
nemmerle said:

Isn't this putting the cart before the horse?

I mean, how can we tell if we like it unless we see it?

Good point. Although if you read my post you'll see I was showing the silliness of an opening week boycott. I'll definately see it opening day at the midnight showing. I'll also see all of you anti-EPII people there as well ;)

Ciaran

First Post
EricNoah said:
The Anakin actor seems a bit wooden from what I've seen so far, and Lucas' strength has never been in the script. But I likes me some eye candy!
What, eye candy like Hayden Christensen? I didn't think he was your type... but I must say you have good taste. ;)

- Eric

Decado

First Post
Something I left out of my post. I liked the trailer so much and it got me so in the mood to try the D20 SWRPG, that I am right now fighting the urge to spend my tax return on the books. I think I will spend some of the money on Jedi Starfighter for PS2 that is due out tomorrow. I hope it releases on time!

Decado

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
There's a scene that I heard about in the movie -- can anyone confirm it for me?

It's a flashback to the first cloning experiment. I forget the name of the planet, or even of the scientist, who makes the clone. But anyway, it comes out all wrong.

You get a few shots of the clone's terrible, pustulent face as it moans and waves rubbery flapping arms at the scientist. The scientist tries to have a discussion with his creation, but it can't talk, can only make horrible bubbling gurgles. In the last shot in the flashback, you see the scientist take the clone up to the roof of his laboratory and push it off, destroying it. That's when the Imperial troops show up and arrest him. For making an obscene clone fall.

Daniel

SonOfLilith

First Post
I moved from *Ywan* to *Yeah!* when they showed the Star Destroyers taking off, followed by fight scenes involving Headhunter space craft. now THERE'S the Star Wars I know.

Don't do this to me again, George

When I first saw the trailer for Episode I: The Disappearing Plot, I loved it, it set shivers down my spine. Then I saw the movie.

This latest trailer has also sent shivers down my spine.

Please don't do this to me again, George.

But, I may relent from my intended boycott and see the thing at teh cinema. But not until well after opending night.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Something I left out of my post. I liked the trailer so much and it got me so in the mood to try the D20 SWRPG, that I am right now fighting the urge to spend my tax return on the books. I think I will spend some of the money on Jedi Starfighter for PS2 that is due out tomorrow. I hope it releases on time!

Well, if you're going to buy the D20 Star Wars RPG, make sure it's the revised one they will be releasing relatively soon. I know I'm going to be buying it....

Wippit Guud

First Post
Flame? We don't use flame anymore...

emperor3.jpg

"You have paid the price for your lack of vision."

How come no one's flaming Star Trek X? I don't wanna see Wesley again...

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
I am among the disappointed with episode 1 crowd.

It had some great action scenes that I really loved.
But they were trapped in a movie of very marginal plot.
As cool as the action was, I don't think the movie would have had a chance of creating the sensation that is Star Wars if it had been the first one out.

I was also very disappointed that it was not at all true to the feeling of the other 3 movies.
In Episodes 4-6 you have the great struggle between good and evil, where things go badly and people die to serve the cause. Even the cute little ewoks get killed.
Epoisode 1 was all kid gloves and simplicity. An army of robots, just so the heros can destroy them without killing anyone.

Instead of a heroic battle, you get Jar-Jar destroying a bunch of robots through a stupid slapstick routine.

Very rarely do you see anyone dying (major plot deaths aside). It takes the sense of heroism and sacrifice out of it.

Same with the major space battle. Won by great determination and sacrifice? Nope. Won by sheer stupidity. Destroying the first Death Star was this great acheivement and Luke's coming of age in learning to trust the force. Anakin goes for a ride and wipes out the enemy as a tourist.

In ep 4-6 the force was this great power in the universe, but you still had to pull your own weight. Obi Wan was usually calm, but never cocky. In ep 1 the big (stupid) fish monster grabs them and the jedi don't even flich, they just assume that they will be saved by some larger force. BLEHHHH

Anakin jumping out of the car 100 stories up in the Ep 2 trailer looks like the same crap.

And I felt the whole scientific basis for the Force is a big Lucas apology to the Hollywood crowd for having a positive portrayal of religion in the first movies. And it is not that I am religious, it is just that external crap like that should not change the fundamental concepts of the setting. It is inconsistent and irritating without advancing the plot at all.

The R2-D2 origin story was really cool. The C-3PO story was stupid.

And no matter how cute they make him, I am not going to feel sorry for space-hitler, or feel there were extenuating circumstances leading to the destruction of Alderan.

Will I go see ep2? Hell Yes.
Am I looking forward to it? Yes. 3 out of 4 earns an instant a free look at 5.
Am I exicited? Not really. It might be great and I am sure that the action will be very good. But I think the odds are good that the fundamentals I so enjoyed in the first 3 will get shredded some more.

Wolfspider,
I have been following this thread with some amusment and I certainly believe you are entitled to your opinion, but one thing has been bothering me.
I wanted to like it. But I didn't.
For some time now, I have been collecting negative opinions on EPII to see how they would match after the movie came out. You have been rather vocal on what you think and I applaud that, but I don't believe you wanted to like the trailer or the movie.
I'll just have to boycott the film entirely then. Oh, I imagine I'll end up seeing it eventually, over at a friend's house or on TV. But no Episode II for me! I feel almost...liberated. 02-04-2002 02:55 PM
Now it sounds like you had made up your mind as far back as Feb 2 and no trailer could ever live up to any expectations you had. For someone with "no Episode II for me", you sure seem to rail against it in a lot of post.
My post count in this thread: 5, I think.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads