• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC for Arador's LotR Game

Daiymo

First Post
Inez: I'm sure Arador has his own style, and the grognards here can give you good advice, but here's my opinion.

I've played (and sometimes Dm'd) in several PbP games on private boards. I would say just as long as you RP your character you should be fine. The best thing about PbP is that is allows you time to develop your PC and interact with others. This doesn't neccessarily mean you have to be wordy(my personal vice) or write a novel per post. In fact some situations call for a short ,concise description of your actions.

However, 'spicing' up posts with your characters behavior, mannerisms, and speech is not only good RPing, but is also beneficial to other players and the DM since it gives them something to work and play off of. Just like in RL games role playing matters.

Hope this helps.Then again, I've always had a knack for stating the obvious :)

arador359

First Post
Inez Hull said:
Just checking in with the other players in this game. This is my first PbP and I'm a bit concerned that I'm overdramatising with my character. I'm not normally like that in tabletop gaming, but all the time to think before you post is going to my head. :D

Mirthcard and rangerjohn, I'd love to see your character sheets if you guys don't mind posting them.

Well this is my first pbp game as well, so I may not be the best judge. :) However, I very much like the interaction so far. I tend to emphasize roleplaying in my RL games as well. Since I'm new at this, I'll let the players drive the style until I get the hang of it.

arador359

First Post
Re: Valangil's character sheet

rangerjohn said:
I wouldn't mind it being posted, if Wally has consalidated it. Right now its kind of all over the place.

I'll pull to gether all the various components, and send them to you in mail. You can share as much as you like then.

arador359

First Post
Also, everyone feel free to give me feedback on how this is going. Since I am new at PBP, I want to know if I'm being too wordy myself or if you are not getting enough information.

On a slightly related topic, does everyone have access to a map of Middle Earth. Part of what is coming to a discussion of routes and there would be a map available to the characters, but I can't find a good online (meaning one with enough detail) map to point you all to.

Daiymo

First Post
Arador, if you have Campaign Catographer 2, theres a nice map of Middle Earth in that format on their web page, which can be edited and added on with CC2, made into .jpgs, etc. Its in the map library. Just search for middle earth. (My avatar is Mt Doom from that map).

Also you can try http://www.tolkien-archives.com/. It has many ME maps from various Ages.

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
Middle Earth map

Unfortunately, I do not have any Middle Earth materials any more. I have had both the books and quite alot of game material in the past. But so go the sands of time.

Mirth

Explorer
Inez Hull said:
Just checking in with the other players in this game. This is my first PbP and I'm a bit concerned that I'm overdramatising with my character. I'm not normally like that in tabletop gaming, but all the time to think before you post is going to my head. :D

Mirthcard and rangerjohn, I'd love to see your character sheets if you guys don't mind posting them.

You're doing fine on the role-playing part. As for my character sheet, I have no idea. I'm one of the ones who doesn't have a book, so I'm relying on arador or garyh to provide all the stats for me. All I've got written on my character is in the bio I posted to this thread and the IC stuff. Beyond that, it's up to one or both of them :)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Since some may wonder about Lanwi's ability to speak well, I figured I'd explain why that is. I decided I'd try to emulate Tolkien's habit, which is exhibited more often in the appendices, Unfinished Tales, and the Silmarillion than in LotR, of having characters speak in a "heroic" or "epic" manner, even the ones that are supposedly not so brilliant. Boromir is good example of this, in some respects, since he is often thought to be less than concerned with "book learnin'" than with fighting. If I recall correctly, we actually get some dialogue from the Dead Men of Dunharrow, the style of which I try to use for Lanwi. Where that dialogue is, I don't recall offhand. I'll try to find it. Additionally, the style of speech Lanwi uses is a bit stiff and formal, which reflects that Westron is not his first language. If he has need to speak in his native tongue, he'll be more casual in his speech, to reflect his greater comfort with that language.

Also, Tolkien seems to have three distinct "modes" of speech for characters in LotR: the "heroic" mode I already discussed, the more casual mode used by the Hobbits and the Men who live near them, and the harsher, more "gutteral" mode used by orcs.

Inez Hull

First Post
Col H, any comments I have made regarding Lanwi appearing 'different' are IC only. I really like your posts and the way Lanwi speaks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads