• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mecha Crusade - 1 more pilot wanted + talk of increasing both sides' starting level

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
While I think starting at 8th level would probably be more fun, it seems like ALOT of work and no one seems to like the idea. So I'm kinda agasint that.

However I do like the idea of awarding levels rather than XP, online games seem to go so very slow as it is, this would make things seem faster.

An issue I wanted to address, how will Dice Rolling be handled. As a veteran of the Iconic Adventure I really felt it best that the DM handle the dice rolling, but this causes problems in Modenr due to the fact that you can spent action points after the dice roll but before the DM says if you succeed or fail. While limiting Action points to before the dice roll would fix this problem, It would make action points much less useful.

What's everyone else think?

Kalanyr

Explorer
As to when, someone mentioned it in chat, Lichtenhart I think, the reason is simply because since this finishes at 12th level you never get to finish a class you take at 3rd level which seemed unsatisfying.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'm not of an opinion on the matter. Seems that the vocal majority is against changing the level. Though I will say, after my 5th mech design I've become very fast about building them myself.

Jemal

Adventurer
I'ld like to say that I wasn't actually AGAINST the idea, I was just pointing out some of the problems. Levelling up and making a new mech would be easy enough for me, if the others want to do it. I don't personally care either way.

As to action points and DM dice rolling, how's this:
When you tell the DM your action, state ooc something like "If I fail I'll use action points to succeed, b/c this is something my character knows he/she must do!"
And trust the DM to use their judgement as to wether you would use the # of action points required.
(Ie if the role is 20 points off or something, you probly would't use up the needed 4-10 action points, would you?)
OR you can just tell him "If I fail I'll use action points, as long as I could succeed without using more than X points." that lets YOU decide when to use them, and how many.

Hi,
If there is a space still free I wouldn't mind filling it. I'm not sure wha I'll be like as this will be my first time doing something like this. I alo only have the SRD although I will hopefully be getting D20 Modern soon.:)

Jarval

Explorer
How about this: We run the first mission at 4th level, showing the early stages of the war, using the character's relative lack of experience to emphasise the newness of mechas as weapons of war, then have something of a steep jump in levels to the next mission? Or perhaps we could just jump everyone four levels between missions?

Jarval

Explorer
DarwinofMind said:
An issue I wanted to address, how will Dice Rolling be handled. As a veteran of the Iconic Adventure I really felt it best that the DM handle the dice rolling, but this causes problems in Modenr due to the fact that you can spent action points after the dice roll but before the DM says if you succeed or fail. While limiting Action points to before the dice roll would fix this problem, It would make action points much less useful.

In general, I've found it better for the DM to make the dice rolls. It avoids the other players looking suspiciously at your natural 20 :) I know it reduces the value of APs somewhat, but I think I've got a solution: For any action that you want to spend an AP on, just put (AP) after it.

Remove ads