• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Hypothetical 4e Class List

SuperGamera

First Post
Does the divine/arcane split really have to stay? I would much prefer a basic "mage" class, with feature choices to reflect an arcane, clerical, natural, or other emphasis. Open the spell lists, just make some spells easier for certain styles.

On my wish list as well, I would really like to see a "physical adept" (to steal from SR) class, to replace the monk. This could class could focus on channeling personal and supernatural energy through the body. With character options, you could have an unarmed fighter, "eldritch warrior", or magic-enabled skill monkey.

And while I'm dreaming, let's get rid of alignment-oriented classes like the Paladin. There has to be a better way of doing a Templar/"spiritual warrior" class.

TroyXavier

First Post
I agree. While some might like a three or four class DND, I prefer the current system, except I'd be tempted to add Artificer as a full time class.

Felon

First Post
I'm surprised nobody here has come out and said this already, but the next edition of D&D will probably take its cue heavily from MMORPG's.

Classes will not only be defined by some sort of subjective conceptual archetype, but also by their clearly-defined tactical role in the party. We won't have role-less core classes liek the ranger that don't seem to do anything powerful or unique, or role-confused classes like the monk that seem to encourage you to go toe-to-toe (for cutting loose with a flurry of blows) while at the same time prod you towards hit-and-run tactics (by offering high maneuverability and mediocre hits points & AC). And hopefully we won't have an omni-role class like druid that can do everything.

I expect, as in the newer MMOG's, there'll be a clear-cut offensive melee class, and a clear-cut defensive melee class. We'll have classes that excel at fighting single opponents and classes that excel at fighting crowds. It'll give us some guys who specialize in taking out brutes and guys who specialize in taking out casters (and caster-like creatures such as beholders and mind flayers). Some will be good at cranking out pure damage, while others emphasize "status" attacks (e.g. attack that stun, blind, silence, confuse, etc.). One guy will go toe-to-toe, while the other is a fleet-footed skirmisher. And of course, we'll have a nice complement of pet classes, buffers, stealthers and healers.

Of course, that's not to say classes currently don't already fall along those lines to some degree, but many don't (e.g. barbarians are both offense and defense-heavy, while rangers are neither).

Lots of roles, so lots of classes. And I for one am fine with all that, as long as the classes offer some personality and customizability. Sure beats the heck out of generic, point-buy classes, where everyone winds up with the same "must-have" skills and most "point-efficient" abilities.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Frukathka said:
Well from the way things have been going I'd say 2009. Second Edition came out in 1989, third in 1999. I'd say that 10 year intervals exist in between major revisions. However, I would be extremely happy if 4th Ed doesn't come out until at least 2014. Thats asking a lot. I do hope the D20 system will be there for all future revisions as it would make for easy updates of all previous D20 info. I'm also guessing that if D20 Future/Modern/Past has enogh success that there will be a revision to it as well.

But what about 3.75...smaller more icremental revisions might be the way of the future

Virel

First Post
4e won't have classes.

You'll have a list of options to select from to build a custom character as you the player sees fit. The options selected will determine your rate of advancement based on what the total is to make 2nd level.

Example
Pick a hit die
d4 0xp
d6 200xp
d8 500xp
d10 800xp
d12 1000xp

My new 4e character will have a d8 hit die so 500xp

now for weapon seleciton

limited to 3 or less 0xp
5-6 100xp
6-10 200xp
unlimited 400xp

I want to be able to use 5 to 6 weapons so 100xp for a total of 600xp

Each thief ability will cost 200xp

I want hide in shadows and move silently so 400xp for a total of 1000xp

Armor selection

none 0xp
leather 100xp
chain mail 300 xp
plate mail 500xp

I want my new wizard to be able to wear chain so 300xp for a toal of 1300xp

Spell Casting

none 0xp
as paladin 300xp
as cleric 600xp
as wizard 900xp
as sorcerer 1200xp

I want ignore spell books and stuff so 1200 for sorcerer style for 2500xp

and so on

in the end I end up with needing 3500 xp to progess to 2nd level due to adding turning and self-healing like paladin. My progression would 3,500 for 2nd level and 7,000 for 3rd, 15,000 for 4th assuming I get to add a feat or ability score bump etc

you could end up with a PC that progesses quickly due limited ability selection or one that progresses slowly due to loading up on power options.

Each skill or feat added at a given level will help determine the increase in xp cost to level.

The splate books will add new "options" and point costs for adding in at the character design stage.

Of course I have no idea how 4e will be but I do think making up ones own unique class for each PC might be possible.

Harmon

First Post
New Core Class

Pretty sure that when 4e comes out the lead Core Class will be- Greedy Business Executive.

All the rules from 3.5e that should have stayed 3.0e will be changed back and the rules that were screwed up in 3.5e will be even more screwed in 4.0e.

Just kidding ;)

MaxKaladin

First Post
Actually, I doubt we'll be seeing much change from the list of classes that exist now except perhaps to add to it. They might tweak some of the classes but I doubt they'll get rid of any. About the only one that might not be safe, IMO, is the sorcerer. Since the sorcerer is new to 3e and not nearly as 'traditional' as the rest, they might replace it with something else or get rid of it. I'd suspect that their list of potential additional classes has been getting a test-workout in the various class books they've been producing.

Duronius

First Post
Whenb 4th ed comes out either at the end of this year or at the big cons in 2006 I'm guessing they will make it into "d20 fantasy" to help themselves consolidate everything. Personally I'd like to see the 3 classes out of unearthed arcana...but then you can't make as many splat books...so I guess the prestige classes will stay too...

Felon

First Post
Duronius said:
Whenb 4th ed comes out either at the end of this year or at the big cons in 2006 I'm guessing they will make it into "d20 fantasy" to help themselves consolidate everything. Personally I'd like to see the 3 classes out of unearthed arcana...but then you can't make as many splat books...so I guess the prestige classes will stay too...

Actually, publishing a "D20 Fantasy" product would be a sneaky way of getting in a 4th edition and seeing whether it wins over more players than it alienates. If it fails commercially, no biggie--"D2F was never intended to replace the real D&D rule"--but if it succeeds they can keep expanding on it until it becomes the official replacement.

A'koss

Explorer
Felon said:
Actually, publishing a "D20 Fantasy" product would be a sneaky way of getting in a 4th edition and seeing whether it wins over more players than it alienates. If it fails commercially, no biggie--"D2F was never intended to replace the real D&D rule"--but if it succeeds they can keep expanding on it until it becomes the official replacement.
Actually, what most likely will happen is that they will publish another "Unearthed Arcana" style book(s) as a way to guage interest in potential 4e rules. They won't go whole-hog of course, but it'll allow WotC to put feelers out there for ideas they're thinking about to see how they fly. Then they'll make their splashy 4e debut - with all the marketing pizzaz 3e had and then some. They certainly won't want to try and "sneak" it in, they'll want the exposure and media coverage and so on to pull in the big sales...

A'koss.

Remove ads