• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Hypothetical 4e Class List

Acid_crash

First Post
They have d20 Modern, Future, Past, and Apocalypse, all using a rather good generic class structure that provides Talents and Feats each level. Coming out with a d20 Fantasy would be a stroke of genius on their part, but that's what I am hoping for.

I doubt they will do that.

For 4e, I like the base 5 system:

Warrior
Mage
Rogue
Priest
Psychic

Make each of them 10 levels, each providing Talents and Feats as they level up.

From the Warrior - Monk, Barbarian, Fighter, Martial Artist, Samurai, Ranger
From the Mage - Wizard, Sorcerer, Elementalist (or whatever)
From the Rogue - Thief, Assassin, Con Artist, Spy,
From the Priest - Druid, Cleric, Favored Soul, Spirit Shaman, Paladin
From the Psychic - Psion, Wilder, Psychic Warrior (needs new name), Soul Blade, etc.

I also think that some of the Advanced Classes could come from two base classes, like the Paladin requiring both Fighter and Priest, Psychic Warrior requiring both Warrior and Psychic, and so on.

Honestly, I just don't know how far the base five system can go, it's nice to have an interesting title right from the start.

Even Exalted gives its base fives neat names. As it is fighter only sounds cool because it seems different from already cool names like Paladin and Ranger.

I mean there's a television show called Paladin and an actual branch of the armed services called Rangers, fighter just doesn't seem to cut it as a marketing tool.

MaxKaladin

First Post
A'koss said:
Actually, what most likely will happen is that they will publish another "Unearthed Arcana" style book(s) as a way to guage interest in potential 4e rules. They won't go whole-hog of course, but it'll allow WotC to put feelers out there for ideas they're thinking about to see how they fly. Then they'll make their splashy 4e debut - with all the marketing pizzaz 3e had and then some. They certainly won't want to try and "sneak" it in, they'll want the exposure and media coverage and so on to pull in the big sales...
Actually, I suspect they've already been doing that with UA and the race/class books. I think they've been floating ideas to see what people latch onto and those ideas are the ones that will probably make it into 4e in some form.

Remove ads