• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes Season [Volume] 2 (#30)---11/05/07-'Out of Time'

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I love how the fact that we the audience have a more complete picture of what is going on (though still woefully incomplete) makes Mohinder "stupid." [where is that roll-eyes smiley when you need it? ;)]

Anyway, great episode - I love the Hiro/Kensai stuff the best, and was only disappointed in how Matt defeated his Dad so easily - wouldn't the fact that the latter has a lot more experience using his power give him a huge advantage?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
el-remmen said:
Anyway, great episode - I love the Hiro/Kensai stuff the best, and was only disappointed in how Matt defeated his Dad so easily - wouldn't the fact that the latter has a lot more experience using his power give him a huge advantage?
Experience placing people into nightmares, not being placed into them. Game terms, he places all of his power points into offense and not defense. :cool:

I really am going to have to see if anyone has created game characters for them. :D

Einan

First Post
I think Parkman's Dad's weakness is that all he has are nightmares. Matt has love, honor, duty and hope. He's got a lot more weapons in his arsenal, even if he's not as good at using them. The difference is also that Matt was fighting for someone, Molly. That paternal instinct gave him the edge.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Stupid is as stupid does.

el-remmen said:
I love how the fact that we the audience have a more complete picture of what is going on (though still woefully incomplete) makes Mohinder "stupid." [where is that roll-eyes smiley when you need it? ;)]

It's not that we know more than he does, but that what he knows should convince him that the company is not to be trusted. Hasn't he seen Bob manipulate? Hasn't he seen the tactics that the company is wont to use? Doesn't he know when he's being had? This was a company that, presumably while Bob was in a high level position, was involved in a conspiracy to destroy New York City. That, all by itself, ought to render Bob permanently suspect in Mohinder's eyes. He should have stuck with the plan until he knew more. That's what makes him stupid!

Steel_Wind

Legend
I'm not so sure Mohinder was stupid - and I'm not so sure HRG is right, either.

Don't get me wrong; I think Bob is lying to Mohinder about the virus, that they have been mutating it to try to use it to kill Adam and they want to test it on Claire.

In that sense, they have definitely mislead Mohinder.

But so has HRG. The man is on his own agenda. He's not about taking the Company down or - indeed - for doing anything other than to suit his own narrow purpose of protecting his family and seeking revenge. HRG has shifted in to a definitely more menacing space. The man is not morally gray - with the bullet last week - he's evil.

And yes, Mohinder is utterly expendable to him. A man who kills his former mentor rather than spare him - and does so sloppily - is operating on some level that is not at all clear. Maybe he did it for a reason that has yet to emerge - and maybe he did not. The point to take away, if you are Mohinder, is that hitching your wagon to the current HRG is a rather unwise act that is as likely to end poorly as it is well. HRG will screw you over in a heartbeat if it suits his purpose.

How is that in the least different from Bob? How is one preferable to the other? I don't think there is a difference, to be honest.

Mohinder is like anyone else - he rewards trust with trust. HRG has betrayed that trust so he's reaching out.

Bob will betray it too of course. But that does not make Mohinder stupid. It makes him human.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Remus Lupin said:
It's not that we know more than he does, but that what he knows should convince him that the company is not to be trusted. Hasn't he seen Bob manipulate? Hasn't he seen the tactics that the company is wont to use? Doesn't he know when he's being had? This was a company that, presumably while Bob was in a high level position, was involved in a conspiracy to destroy New York City. That, all by itself, ought to render Bob permanently suspect in Mohinder's eyes. He should have stuck with the plan until he knew more. That's what makes him stupid!

Except he has reason to not trust HRG either (is willing to do anything, even sacrifice Molly (an innocent) to save his family). . . So was kind of stuck in that situation. Anyway, if I were Mohinder I would suspect that Bob already knows about the plan to take down the Company and his working with HRG - and so might as well admit it.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
el-remmen said:
Except he has reason to not trust HRG either (is willing to do anything, even sacrifice Molly (an innocent) to save his family). . . So was kind of stuck in that situation. Anyway, if I were Mohinder I would suspect that Bob already knows about the plan to take down the Company and his working with HRG - and so might as well admit it.

I concede the point, and I admit that I got the distinct impression that Bob already knew of the plan, too.

I'm not so sure that HRG really is willing to cut everybody else loose for the sake of his family. I think in the end he'll be shown to have greater loyalties that are currently apparent, though I grant that how he's acting right now, Mohinder has no great reason to trust him. However, when in doubt, it's best to be cautious, which doesn't mean that he has to trust HRG, but it also doesn't mean he has to spill the beans to Bob.

I also agree that HRG is evil, evil, evil. I think it was a week or two ago that I tried to put his alignment in D&D terms as NE, with Parkman as LG, and Mohinder as NG (the Hatian strikes me as True Neutral for the time being). By the end of the season, he may have shifted over to CE, but it remains to be seen.

Grymar

Explorer
Remus Lupin said:
I also agree that HRG is evil, evil, evil. I think it was a week or two ago that I tried to put his alignment in D&D terms as NE, with Parkman as LG, and Mohinder as NG (the Hatian strikes me as True Neutral for the time being). By the end of the season, he may have shifted over to CE, but it remains to be seen.

I'd call him NE, but not CE. He doesn't kill for joy or without cause. He is on a mission and is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed. That is NE in my book. Sylar is CE and I'd even say Adam may be CE, but not HRG (yet).

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I totally disagree with the statement that HGR has gotten "sloppy." From his stand point, he's dead and he has died the moment he saw the painting. Right now his only priorities are to kill as many of his would be killers as possible and to try to protect his family. As I see it, when he left the finger prints (on purpose, remember he said he was already damned) all he was doing is reaffirming the fact that he knows he's going to die but at the same time he's flipping off the company and giving them a warning about the deaths they will face before he himself dies.

He may have started as being NE but right now his actions are being tainted by the chaotic knowledge of his own impending death death. I have a feeling that HGR has put together the pictures of mohinder with the gun and his own death so I'm willing to bet that if HGR doesn't die, he will end up killing mohinder.

Last edited:

Remove ads