• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes Season [Volume] 2 (#30)---11/05/07-'Out of Time'

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Ed_Laprade said:
A good episode. But I will point out one little item everyone, including the writers, seem to be missing. We see (presumably) Kensai's charred to the bone corpse. Ah, but he'll just regenerate. Yeah, and he'll be an amnesiac (sp?)! His brain cells may be regenerated, but the connections won't. Those are not effected by DNA!

I'm sure the writers aren't missing it so much as ignoring it. These abilities work precisely the way the need to for plot purposes.

More germane, however, to the question of internal coherence, assume for a moment that Claire/Peter/Adam are involved in a nuclear-type exposion, as Peter presumably was last season, wouldn't one's total disintegration have the practical effect of severing one's brainstem? If so, shouldn't that be pretty much the end of that person?

Also, has anyone actually tried simply sticking a knife in the back of Adam's head? That would seem much more efficient than a super-virus.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Remus Lupin said:
More germane, however, to the question of internal coherence, assume for a moment that Claire/Peter/Adam are involved in a nuclear-type exposion, as Peter presumably was last season, wouldn't one's total disintegration have the practical effect of severing one's brainstem? If so, shouldn't that be pretty much the end of that person?

Hence the earlier reference to Wolverine. Wolverine was effectively vaporized once yet somehow regenerated from one single cell that somehow managed to survive.

Also, has anyone actually tried simply sticking a knife in the back of Adam's head? That would seem much more efficient than a super-virus.

Why not a gunshot to the head like HGR advocated as the solution to Peter going nuke?

Personally I think that Bob and Adams plans are similar and that the company had three factions after it self destructed. I think one faction of the company wanted to control supers and eliminate rival supers. This would be the baggers and tagers like HGR and Bob. The second wanted to rule the world, this is Adam's faction. The third, Charles Deveoux's faction wanted to make the world into a better place for everyone. sadly we all know which faction lost their faction war.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
To chime in on three points.

HRG being sloppy. I think he knew he was leaving prints. The thing he was careful about was shooting Ivan so that no evidence of the Haitian was left. HRG probably figured the company would figure it was him, or at least consider him a possible suspect. By tossing the place he also takes the extra step to leave the impression that Ivan didn't talk. The company probably already thinks that Ivan is strong willed against torture, and without evidence of the Haitian they may assume HRG found what he needed when tossing the place. This way the Haitian remains HRG's secret weapon.

Ms. Patrelli's power. Her power is sort of like Candice's in that she can make herself look like she is always wearing the same outfit. :)

As for killing Kensai. much like cooking Claire, or nuking Peter doesn't have any long term consequenses, doing the same to Kensai probably doesn't either. Sure you can stick a knife in Kensai's brain stem and it will incapacitate him indefinitely, but again like Claire and Peter if someone pulls it out he is good to go again. At this point they way I would go would be to incapacitate Kensai with the knife to the brain, cut his head off and burn the rest of the body, make sure the knife is securely fastened to the head with bandages, seal the head in a welded shut steel box that is very thick, and then drop the box in the Marianas Trench. Sure he could still come back but it would take allot of work.

Good episode.

I think Angela Petrellis power is somehow a reverse of the Haitians power. Maybe it is the same power, just used differently. Since just bringing back lost memories doesn't look exactly powerful, there might be more to it, though. (Though nothing suggests that all powers are created equal. Super-Hearing can't really compete with Telepathy, I think...)

Poor Hiro. He comes back from the past, leaving beyond yet another love of his life, happily reunites with Ando (how much of his happyness was played?), only to learn that his father is dead.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Krug said:
Gosh this episode just didn't work for me. I thought it dragged, and once again echoed too much of last season. I'm glad Hiro is back in the present, but a lot of things just aren't clicking. With the series dropping to third in its time slot, not sure if it can continue for much longer.

Aside from Hiro & Peter, I'm not feeling it either. Claire's stuff is just jarring for me, Flyboy is irksome and the actor doesn't seem to pull off the effect they're going for, IMO. Bennet and Mohinder are tedious, but then most of the company stuff is. The paintings IMO are meaningless, and they should have brought it another painter rather than try to pass them off as Isaac's.

It was nice to see Hiro sword fighting, not that involved, but fun enough. It'll be fun if & when he beheads Adam.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Given that we've been shown that the older generation of heroes can do more advanced things with their powers, Adam's ability may have progressed to the point where a stick in the head wouldn't stop him like it stopped Claire from regenerating.

Looking forward to next week.

Krug

Newshound
I think the thing that worked for me in season 1 was that these were normal folks trying to cope with their powers. Matt with his domestic life, Nathan with his election and Peter with being a care-giver and Hiro and Ando's friendship. This season has none of that feel. I'm just glad Hiro's out of medieval Japan and can quit it with the cherry blossoms thing.

Cor Azer

First Post
Einan said:
I think Angela Petrelli has the Voice. Like Eden did in the first season. She seemed to command Peter to remember and he did. A very powerful and abusable ability.

EInan

I doubt Angela Petrelli used a power there at all. Peter doesn't have all his memories back - he doesn't know who Adam Monroe is yet. What (I suspect) happened is that he simply used his mind-reading to learn everything his Mom knows about him; he's got some memories back, but not everything. Remember, Mrs. Petrelli is quite adept at working with mind-readers (like she did with Parkman earlier in the season); she likely knew what sorts of things to think of to restore some of Peter's memories.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Steel_Wind said:
I am also in favor of "The Voice" being Angela's power.

And it really DOES fit her character.

I thought that last season when she basically had Nathan convinced to allow the equivalent of a nuke to go off in NYC for most of the second half of it.

Remove ads