• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone cancelled their D&D Beyond subscription as a protests over the OGL?

GwaihirAgain

Explorer
This all is so sad to me.

I love DND Beyond. Im sort of indifferent to how it is used at my gaming table, but I love that I have access to all the materials and to the PC character sheets from anywhere (mostly at work). And I love that I can create quick links to google docs and such. It has REALLY helped my organization and prep.

I was already concerned about OneDND changing the rules we were using mid campaign and now this OGL stuff.
I suspect we'll continue to use the WOTC stuff until my current campaign dies then probably look for a different ruleset.

G

Last edited:

I don’t run 5e nor do I have a D&DBeyond account.

But I did send a carrier pigeon vaguely toward NW USA with a Skeletor Angry Arms Skyward GIF.

Angry He Man GIF

Dausuul

Legend
I can't figure out how to do it. If I want to just make up a feat or change a class feature (or even correct a class feature) I can't do it.

For example:
1. I own a paper copy of Tasha's Caldron of Everything. If I want to add the Fey Touched Feat to my DNDB character sheet how do I do it? On roll 20 it is easy, just type it in copying it from the book, just like I do on my paper character sheets.

2. How do I change the stats on my familiar?

3. How do I make a magic Longsword Finnesse?

Maybe you can do all of these things, but I can't figure it out and it is easy to do on Roll 20, literally easier than it is on a paper character sheet.
The "homebrew" tooling on DDB is an incredible pain in the neck to use. It is possible to do #1 and #2, but you will spend a lot of time Googling and banging your head on the wall, and good luck changing whatever you built. I have no idea if it's possible to do #3.

I can't figure out how to do it. If I want to just make up a feat or change a class feature (or even correct a class feature) I can't do it.

For example:
1. I own a paper copy of Tasha's Caldron of Everything. If I want to add the Fey Touched Feat to my DNDB character sheet how do I do it? On roll 20 it is easy, just type it in copying it from the book, just like I do on my paper character sheets.

Maybe you can do all of these things, but I can't figure it out and it is easy to do on Roll 20, literally easier than it is on a paper character sheet.
The "homebrew" tooling on DDB is an incredible pain in the neck to use. It is possible to do #1 and #2, but you will spend a lot of time Googling and banging your head on the wall, and good luck changing whatever you built. I have no idea if it's possible to do #3.
1. If you use the character builder, it naturally allows you to select a feat when it would be appropriate. Other than that, if you want to add a feat you can manage your feats under that section of the character sheet by selecting Manage Feats.
2. Not sure you can, but also never needed to do that. I'd guess you would need to create a homebrew version of your familiar and add that to the character sheet.
3. The learning curve to do this is not friendly. What I've done is find an existing item that is close to what I want and make a copy of it, then edit the properties to be what I wanted.

Langy

Explorer

For example:

1. Create a homebrew feat version of Fey Touched and add it to your character.
2. Add the familiar to your character sheet and click it to customize its stats.
3. Make a homebrew magic item based on a Longsword and add Finesse to it under traits.

1. Create a homebrew feat version of Fey Touched and add it to your character.
If it's an existing feat you have in your library, you can just manually add it on the character sheet Feats section by clicking Manage Feats. You currently need to do this if you're running a SotDQ campaign to get the bonus level 1 feat if you don't choose one of the backgrounds that includes a feat.

Larnievc

Hero
No.

Watching this forum get itself into a lather over something 99.9% of D&D players don't care about or even have heard about is bizarre. Talk about an echo chamber!

It will be amusing if the supposed leak isn't even true.
None of my players have ever heard of OGL. I only know about it because of the 3.5 SRD I had years ago. But I imagine if I had sunk a lot into content I might feel differently.

Last edited:

Remove ads