• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone cancelled their D&D Beyond subscription as a protests over the OGL?

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I just went to the D&D Beyond website, to be sure I didn't have an old account I'd forgotten about, and I rediscovered why I don't have an account there:

They require that you link a new D&D Beyond account to an existing Google, Twitch, or Apple account. I've always recoiled from that, and been suspicious of anyone who wants you do it.

Once again, my priors have been reconfirmed. Get off my lawn! (/s)

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Roll 20 is so much better than DDB. I can put anything I want in Roll 20 and don't have to buy anything to do it. I can just copy it from my paper book on to my character sheet.

With DDB you can't put any custom content in there, nor any core content unless you have purchased it.

Roll20 is as flexible as a paper character sheet.
Other than the base classes, you can put anything into DnDBeyond without making a purchase, and since the classes are in the SRD (though maybe not the artificer), it means you could use DnDBeyond without spending anything.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Presented without comment in the spirit of the topic:
dndbSurvey2.png

ECMO3

Hero
You can do custom content on Beyond.
I can't figure out how to do it. If I want to just make up a feat or change a class feature (or even correct a class feature) I can't do it.

For example:
1. I own a paper copy of Tasha's Caldron of Everything. If I want to add the Fey Touched Feat to my DNDB character sheet how do I do it? On roll 20 it is easy, just type it in copying it from the book, just like I do on my paper character sheets.

2. How do I change the stats on my familiar?

3. How do I make a magic Longsword Finnesse?

Maybe you can do all of these things, but I can't figure it out and it is easy to do on Roll 20, literally easier than it is on a paper character sheet.

ECMO3

Hero
Presented without comment in the spirit of the topic:
View attachment 272005

This is a bit restrictive and loaded. Where is the option -
"No I won't cancel even though in principle I do object" which I am sure is the most common answer.

WOTC has done far worse than this, including claims of racism, sexism, anti-Union actions and abusing creators. While few were supportive of WOTC in these examples, few also canceled their subscription.

Horwath

Legend
Don't have a sub on D&D Beyond, just basic account.

I have half a mind to make one-month sub just to tell them to F...Off in "why I am canceling" box.

I have not, but that is only because I only have a dndbeyond account because they required me to make one in order to fill out their playtest surveys (something which I've already criticized In literally every single playtest survey I've ever filled out). I have not and will not EVER have any interesting in D&D Beyond nor any VTT beyond old school Maptools, which I only use because it is both a) free and b) covid forced me to.

I have also made it quite clear in the cleric playtest survey (and will with each subsequent playtest survey going forward) that if the OGL 1.1 update is at all accurate or if they in anyway attempt to shut down 3rd party publishers/websites/VTTs (yes even though I don't want them) they will NEVER receive a single cent from me EVER again. For context I have purchased literally EVERY physical book officially released by WotC for 5e, nearly every official set of dice or miniatures, all of the spell cards, and even a few of the Figurines of Adorable power (yes I'm aware some of them are 3rd party). My wife additionally spends at a couple thousand dollars a year on magic cards as well. We will NEVER buy any of that again if this goes life. Period. Non-negotiable.

whimsychris123

Adventurer
I run an after-school D&D club and many of the students depend on D&DBeyond for their characters. I subscribe to allow them to use all the available options. I have encouraged them to use the website. It would be wrong to take that away now.

However, if they continue with this course of action, I will be unsubbing by summer, and next year, students will be encouraged to use their own materials. I'll probably be hyping up other games although I don't know if I'll have any takers. D&D is a pretty powerful brand.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I don't really have a Beyond account to unsub to, but I would like to find a way to sell my 5E books to fund support for non-WotC companies.

Remove ads