• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone cancelled their D&D Beyond subscription as a protests over the OGL?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I might, but mostly because the app took a dump on me mid-game tonight and wouldn't load any of my characters or let me roll dice.

It is absolutely the number 1 thing to have an effect
Digital is their way forward so put a speed bump into that ambition.
Actually I'd say the number 1 thing to have an effect would be if stockholders dumped Hasbro. But at the moment I can't liquidate my pretty small Hasbro position without taking a several hundred dollar bath, and I don't think enough other customers are also shareholders.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Jennifer Kretchmer put out a video yesterday trying to remind folks that for many gamers (like herself--highly immunocompromised), that online tools are their only access to gaming, so by boycotting them, they are losing their only way to play with people they would otherwise play with.

One could make the argument that there are other options, but I always get a bit cringy when that reasoning is put out directed towards a minority group, because "other options" are rarely as good as what everyone else is getting and seems a bit dismissive. Kinda like "be happy you at least have this."

Either way, I think it's at least worth considering what she's saying.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Jennifer Kretchmer put out a video yesterday trying to remind folks that for many gamers (like herself--highly immunocompromised), that online tools are their only access to gaming, so by boycotting them, they are losing their only way to play with people they would otherwise play with.

One could make the argument that there are other options, but I always get a bit cringy when that reasoning is put out directed towards a minority group, because "other options" are rarely as good as what everyone else is getting and seems a bit dismissive. Kinda like "be happy you at least have this."

Either way, I think it's at least worth considering what she's saying.
Well in that case, if you're going to play with Jennifer Kretchmer or someone with similar issues, don't boycott the tools that allow you to play together. But if you don't, you shouldn't feel guilty about doing so.

Remove ads