• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Full - Waiting for complete characters] Loex’edar: The Dragon War

Shayuri

First Post
Agh...I can't believe I missed that. She originally had Hover. I took it out, and forgot that it was a prereq.

Okay. I'll fix. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

G

Guest 11456

A lesson on 3-D reach:

5 feet space, 5 feet reach:

[sblock]
Code:
.....  .....  .....  .....  .....
.....  ..r..  .rrr.  ..r..  .....
.....  .rrr.  .rXr.  .rrr.  .....
.....  ..r..  .rrr.  ..r..  .....
.....  .....  .....  .....  .....
[/sblock]
10 feet space, 10 feet reach:

[sblock]
Code:
........  ........  ........  ........  ........  ........  ........  ........
........  ........  ........  ...rr...  ...rr...  ........  ........  ........
........  ........  ...rr...  ..rrrr..  ..rrrr..  ...rr...  ........  ........
........  ...rr...  ..rrrr..  .rrXXrr.  .rrXXrr.  ..rrrr..  ...rr...  ........
........  ...rr...  ..rrrr..  .rrXXrr.  .rrXXrr.  ..rrrr..  ...rr...  ........
........  ........  ...rr...  ..rrrr..  ..rrrr..  ...rr...  ........  ........
........  ........  ........  ...rr...  ...rr...  ........  ........  ........
........  ........  ........  ........  ........  ........  ........  ........
[/sblock]
10 feet space, 5 feet reach:

[sblock]
Code:
......  ......  ......  ......  ......  ......
......  ..rr..  .rrrr.  .rrrr.  ..rr..  ......
......  .rrrr.  .rXXr.  .rXXr.  .rrrr.  ......
......  .rrrr.  .rXXr.  .rXXr.  .rrrr.  ......
......  ..rr..  .rrrr.  .rrrr.  ..rr..  ......
......  ......  ......  ......  ......  ......
[/sblock]
X=Individual
r=Reach

scout989

First Post
Sorry all, I've been nasty sick for the last couple of days, and not doing much but lying in bed moaning. However, I'm back, though still a little out of it.

Jdvn1: You did indeed make your touch attack and grapple attempt this time 'round. You and the arcanist are now falling (or will be next round). As I cannot find specific rules set out for this anywhere, I'm going to rule that you get grapple attempts based off your BAB, so you should have a few chances to hurt it before you have to break free.

GFA: Yep, you should still be able to take your action as amended. However, it wouldn't hurt to edit your IC post to reflect what you are actually going to do.

Tailspinner: Thank you and thank you again! Incidentally, I think I'm going to use that recruitment thread to post the DKs movements and whatnot, as that will keep this thread clear of some clutter.

Seriously, everyone, if I hadn't got some help from Tailspinner, this game would be bogging down quite a bit. Three cheers and hip-hip-hurray!

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I'm not sure what you mean--chances to hurt it?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple
SRD said:
Step 3

Hold. Make an opposed grapple check as a free action.

If you succeed, you and your target are now grappling, and you deal damage to the target as if with an unarmed strike.
SRD said:
Attack Your Opponent

You can make an attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon against another character you are grappling. You take a -4 penalty on such attacks.

You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons.
Or do you mean movement?
SRD said:
No Movement

You can’t move normally while grappling. You may, however, make an opposed grapple check to move while grappling.

My only question comes to moving while grappling...
SRD said:
Move

You can move half your speed (bringing all others engaged in the grapple with you) by winning an opposed grapple check. This requires a standard action, and you must beat all the other individual check results to move the grapple.

Note: You get a +4 bonus on your grapple check to move a pinned opponent, but only if no one else is involved in the grapple.
SRD said:
You can attempt to damage your opponent with an opposed grapple check, you can attempt to use your opponent’s weapon against him, or you can attempt to move the grapple (all described above). At your option, you can prevent a pinned opponent from speaking.

scout989

First Post
I mean essentially that you can use grapple attempts based off your BAB (i.e. iterative attacks, which you wouldn't otherwise get) for the purpose of attempting to damage the DK, attack it with a natural weapon, pin it, or escape from the grapple. You might be able to influence the direction in which you fall by winning an opposed grapple check, but you won't be able to fly.

scout989 said:
GFA: Yep, you should still be able to take your action as amended. However, it wouldn't hurt to edit your IC post to reflect what you are actually going to do.

Sorry, I was waiting on an okay first, and now it looks like you've posted.... :(

Oh well, this was meant to be a learning experience. :)

Seriously, everyone, if I hadn't got some help from Tailspinner, this game would be bogging down quite a bit. Three cheers and hip-hip-hurray!

Hip-hip-hurray!

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Just wanted to point something out...
[sblock]"The arcanist, held in a deathgrip by Drumaxius, sets his face and concentrates as he calls upon his magic to save him. He releases a black bolt of magical energy, very similar to the one shot earlier by Shayuri. Drumaxius feels his great muscles suddenly weaken, as the black magic does its work."
"-9 penalty to Str from Ray of Enfeeblement."

However:
"Cast a Spell

You can attempt to cast a spell while grappling or even while pinned (see below), provided its casting time is no more than 1 standard action, it has no somatic component, and you have in hand any material components or focuses you might need. Any spell that requires precise and careful action is impossible to cast while grappling or being pinned."
"Ray of Enfeeblement
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S"

If the guy has Still Spell, that's fine, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of this otherwise. [/sblock]

Wrahn

First Post
I should have mentioned this earlier (but I was having too much fun with three dimensional cartography). I don't see Vers (or me) on the initiative chart. Shouldn't matter, as I should end up at the same time as the arcanist next round.

scout989

First Post
GFA: Yeah, I thought I'd posted to say that what you wanted to do was fine- but in any case, I wasn't meaning to get snippy with you :eek: If you want to keep your action as I've described, cool. If not, that's what the edit button is for. Seriously, I know I'm not making a great job of this so far, but I am trying to be a good DM.

Jdvn1: Yeah, I had figured that any spellcaster in this world is going to get grappled- a lot (dragons are good at that). Not all spellcasters will have Still Spell, but enough of them will.

Wrahn: Unless it was a fever-dream, I fixed that last night- I'll check though.

Edit- Jdvn1, thanks for bringing that up. I did make a boo-boo after all. Casting that spell was a full-round action, which means that Vers got there in time to disrupt it after all. I'll edit the IC post, right now.

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
scout989 said:
Seriously, I know I'm not making a great job of this so far, but I am trying to be a good DM.

No worries, scout. You are doing something that I wouldn't want to do on a regular basis - that is - DMing a campaign that you know full well most of the combats will be aerial. It is a learning process, you're doing fine. As long as the campaign keeps moving and we all admit that occasionally we make mistakes, there should be no complaints from me!

Remove ads