• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Full - Waiting for complete characters] Loex’edar: The Dragon War

Nonlethal Force

First Post
scout989 said:
to figure out exactly where to set the point of origin

Okay, as I said .. former math teacher. Can't turn dowen the challenge. So I ran through a few quadratic equations - used the distance formula to set the origin of the spell to encompass the two selescted foes but to miss Versveshedar and Luminous ... and here's where I came up with. The spell will go off 3.14 feet behind Versveshedar and 57.66 feet to the right. This will encompass both enemies as I desire.

Just so the DM (and everyone else) knows where the spell boundaries are, the edge of the spell effect is 7.75 feet from Versveshedar to the right (as Flitterdust sees it - so technically "down" the screen). From Luminous' perspective the edge of the spell effect is almost exactly 41 feet in front of her.

I realize this is pretty much unnecessary ... but if it helps the DM to know exactly where the spell effect is, its worth it. Also, it just shows how close a few of the enemies are to being pushed in! ;)

scout989

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Yow, 3 rounds. I'm fine with that. Out of curiosity, though, how far is the drop? I'd let go after the 2nd round since it takes a full round to recover from a fall.
Well, you're about 700 feet off the ground right now. On the first round when you don't maintain minimum forward speed, you'll fall 150'. Each round after that, you'll fall a further 300' unless you make a DC 20 reflex save. So at the end of the third round, you'll take 20d6 falling daamage unless you've recovered from your stall. Also, the text in the DMG says that you must spend your turn to recover from a fall- it's not explained any better than that, so it sounds like a full round action to recover. In other words, I hope you're no longer grappling at the end of the second round- otherwise there may not be a chance to recover.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
scout989 said:
Well, you're about 700 feet off the ground right now. On the first round when you don't maintain minimum forward speed, you'll fall 150'. Each round after that, you'll fall a further 300' unless you make a DC 20 reflex save. So at the end of the third round, you'll take 20d6 falling daamage unless you've recovered from your stall. Also, the text in the DMG says that you must spend your turn to recover from a fall- it's not explained any better than that, so it sounds like a full round action to recover. In other words, I hope you're no longer grappling at the end of the second round- otherwise there may not be a chance to recover.
So... high enough up where I don't want to risk taking falling damage (20d6 hurts even for a huge guy like me :uhoh:), but I have a high enough Reflex save where I'm not too worried about it. I think it'd be a good guess that my grapple checks are good enough to decide when I want to let go of the grapple.

scout989

First Post
I'll try to get the next post together and up tomorrow. This game may go fairly slowly- one to two posts per week on my part- for a while, as I am about to start moving to a new house and I'm responsible for all of the packing and cleanup here. But, I definitely will not abandon this game.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Actually, your absence for a little bit suits my schedult rather well. I will be away from the internet from Tuesday until Thursday after 5:00 (EST) I will be back online Thursday night however. If necessary, Flitterdust can certainly be NPCed. He's not much of a combatant - having done about all the damage he can do except to heal his comrades. If his turn in the init comes around while I am gone, he can just be assumed to have readied a healing spell until one of his comrades looks as if they need it and are in a position that he can get to them without much risk of getting into the mix himself.

scout989

First Post
Jdvn1- Bad news for Drumaxius. The DK he was attempting to grapple actually hit him on the AoO. You can try again with the rest of your attacks, but I thought I should ask you first- if, for some reason you don't manage to grab him before the end of your turn, you'll be stalled and falling without him. What's your call?

Also, Goddess FallenAngel: since you're counting on the Hover feat for your hovering ability, you must take a move action to begin hovering. If you choose to do that, you won't get in an attack this round (but you'll be hovering at the start of the next). Your other option is to use up at least 75' of movement this round, take a single attack, and begin hovering next turn if it's a good move. What's your call?

LordWyrm: my bad there, I just overlooked what happened to you when I posted the damage from last round. The DK hit you for 20 pts.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
scout989 said:
Jdvn1- Bad news for Drumaxius. The DK he was attempting to grapple actually hit him on the AoO. You can try again with the rest of your attacks, but I thought I should ask you first- if, for some reason you don't manage to grab him before the end of your turn, you'll be stalled and falling without him. What's your call?
Yeah, I'm gonna keep trying.

I'm banking on the fact that a 47 AC is hard to hit and this guy needs Combat Reflexes to hit me again. Then again, bad opposed rolls could get me. :uhoh:

Still, going for it.

scout989

First Post
All right all, I've recruited Tailspinner to help keep the game running a little more smoothly/quickly. He ought to be posting a better version of the map in the IC thread soon, and I'll try to get this game rolling again.

Remove ads