• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adv: The Path of Light; DM: ScorpiusRisk; Judge: Ozymandias79

johnmeier1

Explorer
Georg slowly closes his book and walks calmly over to stand next to Rurdev. Have you ever dealt with this kind of thing before? he whispers.

Please, good men, listen to my friends. These are no signs and but the unusual but predictable variations of nature. Surely in all your years on the sea you have seen odder with no consequences.

[sblock=OOC] EvolutionKB, if you want to give an assist to my Insight or Nature (same roll for both of us) I could use it. Stupid play by post order :)
1d20+9=20 (Insight)
But it wasn't needed precisely... Do assists carry over to later rounds?
[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
The Captain pipes in now, obviously wanting things settled easily. "The dwarfs speaks true. Why you all have heard the story of the cascading bullywugs." He forces a wide smile and people seem to be considering things.

[sblock=ooc]Georg succeeds
His ability to emphasize with the crew grants a +2 bonus to the next diplomacy check.

Because of how important these skill checks are I would like aid another checks to be made before the roll that it is applied to. I would also like you to declare that your aiding another in the notes box. That way we're not using them as immediate interrupts or changing our mind when we fail a skill check.

On the positive side I'll say you don't have to declare who gets the bonus. Aid Another grants +2 to the next ally to make that check, even if thats not until next round. If you fail an aid another it does not count towards the failures.[/sblock]

[sblock=Skill Challenge]
Round 1

Dane; Acted
Georg; Acted
Hadrak; Acted
Incarnation; Acted
Raiyek
Rurdev
Warden; Acted

Successes: 4/10
Failures: 1/3

Certain Skills will have secondary effects. The Warden can offer one assist each round.

Primary Skills

Bluff DC 14
Diplomacy DC 14
History 19
Insight 19
Nature 19
Religion 19
Intimidate 21

You may attempt other skills, as long as they are accompanied by reasonable and/or creative posts. Really reasonable posts will have a DC of 14, less reasonable and more creative will have a DC 19.
[/sblock]

EvolutionKB

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Look's like Rurdev's best chance is out of the box...[/sblock]

The shifter is on deck for much of the day, soaking up the sea air and sunshine. He talked to the crew, gaining insight of their travels and their thoughts of the length of the journey. It wouldn't be a long one they said. Then the ruccus came. In their haste, the crew forgot about sailing the ship. Rurdev thinks he sees something out of the fog. "L-Land, w-w-we are h-here!" The waves and fog play tricks on him though...

[sblock=Perception]Curse you IC! perception (1d20+10=12)[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
The two sailors closest to the front of the ship turn around eager and everyone seems a little excited. The peer forward, sensing things through the waves. Then they turn around very angry.

"Lies!" You can tell that you'll need to be very careful with your next choices.

[sblock=ooc]Rurdev fails.[/sblock]

[sblock=Skill Challenge]
Round 1

Dane; Acted
Georg; Acted
Hadrak; Acted
Incarnation; Acted
Raiyek
Rurdev; Acted
Warden; Acted

Successes: 4/10
Failures: 2/3

Certain Skills will have secondary effects. The Warden can offer one assist each round.

Primary Skills

Bluff DC 14
Diplomacy DC 14
History 19
Insight 19
Nature 19
Religion 19
Intimidate 21

You may attempt other skills, as long as they are accompanied by reasonable and/or creative posts. Really reasonable posts will have a DC of 14, less reasonable and more creative will have a DC 19.
[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Sorry for holding things up, been a busy week. I'm also going to be going on another trip to a place without internet this weekend, leaving Saturday and coming back sometime Monday. [/sblock]
Hearing the commotion on the deck, Raiyek comes up from belowdeck, where he was tending his gear. "Calm down, men!" Raiyek shouts, trying to gain the sailors' attention. "This is no time for hasty decisions! You truly think a paladin and cleric of the gods are working against them? That we would be so foolish as to anger Netari and then step onto a ship on these seas? Please, keep your heads and think rationally. The fish could be a good omen, as Dane said, or a warning from Netari to not go for a swim today, or any of a hundred other possibilities. If you truly think the gods against us, enquire of them to be sure before you try to maroon or murder us, please."

The paladin looks across the ranks of the temporarily placated sailors, his eyes stern. "Now, do not do anything rash while my back is turned." He walks over to Hadrak and pulls him aside a short distance to have a semi-private conversation. "Do you recall any omens such as this? I know Palladys is associated with the owl, Dayna with the deer, and so on, but I've never heard of herring being associated with Netari. Surely if it were an omen from the King of the Sea he would send creatures sacred to him?"
[sblock=Rolls]Diplomacy (1d20+11=19), so 5/10 successes now.

For the 2nd round, Religion - aid another (1d20+7=12). +2 to the next Religion check.

I think aid anothers are a really good idea at this point. 5 successes to go, and only 1 failure left before Something Bad (tm) happens.[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
"The elf speaks with much divine wisdom." Aids the Warden. "Besides, look at the size of these Herring. Such strong, large specimens are rare indeed. Unlikely to need help to leap such heights."

[sblock=ooc]Raiyek succeeds.
Aid another grants +2 on next Religion Check

Warden Aids Another for Nature. Success
+2 to next Nature Check[/sblock]

[sblock=Skill Challenge]
Round 1

Dane;
Georg;
Hadrak;
Incarnation;
Raiyek; Acted
Rurdev;
Warden; Acted

Successes: 5/10
Failures: 2/3

Primary Skills

Bluff DC 14
Diplomacy DC 14
History 19
Insight 19
Nature 19
Religion 19
Intimidate 21

[/sblock]

Nebten

First Post
Dane goes to pick up one of the fish and starts to show it off like a Price is Right reject. He then starts to give a public service announcement to educate these fine sailors the health benifits of fish. Dane is no Dr. Koop, but to these men he may sound like he is an expert on the matter.

Tis indeed a blessin'. Dees fish, when eatin' heal sores, reduce da swell, stave' da chills', n' sharpin' yer eyes fer battle. Dey say, da scales washed wit wine din placed on wounds make dem heal fasta' n' stronga. Just don't eat de eyes on sea. Dey eyes 'r mighty power-fer. De make ye fertile like a b!tch n' heat. I tels ye, we arse been prepared fer war, not have it sent against us in spite!

[sblock=Heal] Heal (1d20+10=28)[/sblock]

johnmeier1

Explorer
What do you think of these fish, Rurdev? Georg whispers before speaking.

[sblock=OOC] I think if you give me a +2 E-KB I could roll with the +13 total with confidence
[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
-''Okay, not rum. No rum. Calm down. What do you want? Hum... ale, right?'' Hadrak asks lamely.

[sblock=Skill]
Heal DC 19 (1d20+15=20)

I am not sure why I made a heal check; I obviously meant insight. I think I went to my skill sheet expecting Insight to be my highest skill, I spoted the +15from heal and then had a brain fart.

Of course, I have a higher heal because of the Phylactery of divinity. My Insight is +13. Which means that this roll is actually an 18. Which means I screwed the skill check with a natural 5 when I needed a 6.

PS: After some math, I realized that if you are only allowed 2 failures, Then you must roll only when you have at least 85% odds of success on the roll.

Even if you only roll with 75% odds of success on every check (such as this insight check), you still have about 56% odds of failing the Skill Challenge (based on my rusty maths)...

If you hold on for 85% odds of success on each check, then you have a respectable 80% of succeeding the challenge.

Bottom line, I really screwed us with that Diplomacy check. Attempting something with a measly 60% odds of success! What was I thinking? ;)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I assume Scorpious is feeling nice, and let's Mal redo his IC speech to keep us going. If not, disregard this post.[/sblock]

"Y-Y-Yes," the shifter says pointing to the fish, "l-l-look how their scales shine in the l-light and their are c-clear not cloud-d-dy. If this was an ill o-omen, the fish would be s-s-sickly"

[sblock=Actions]Nature assist (1d20+5=18)Assist succeed to Nature check.[/sblock]

Remove ads