• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Magic Item changes

Philip

Explorer
Am just browsing the DMG to see what has happend to my favorite (and not so favorite) magic items, have summed up some changes FYI below, haven't finished reading yet....

Hammer of Thunderbolts: DC of Fortitude save for striking dead giants is now 20. That's a lot better than the old 14, which couldn't even scare a Hill Giant, but for I minor artifact I would have liked a scalabale DC like 10 + half your level + strength modifier.

Wings of Flying: now costs 54,000 gp. Cost = spell level(3) * caster level(5) * 1800 (for command activated continous item) * 2 (for spell with a duration of 1/minute level. Much better costed, flight is way too useful.

Strand of Prayer Beads: used to be a necklace, now three different varieties, lesser, regular and greater.

Slippers of Spider Climbing: max. speed improved from 15 ft. to 20 ft. Why such a minor correction?

Silversheen: new substance for making a weapon silvered for one hour, 250 gp.

Scarab of Protection: SR raised from 15 to 20, yeah!

Robe of Eyes: Search and Spot bonuses lowered to +10, bonus type from circumstance to competence, item cost gone up from 90,000 to 120,000 gp. As expected, this Robe was way too good, now its just good.

Robe of Blending: Hide bonus lowered to +10, bonus type from circumstance to competence, price now 30,000 gp. (from 10,000).

Robe of the Archmagi: SR raised to 18 (from 17), +4 resistance bonus to saves (from +1), +2 on caster level checks vs. SR (no more virtual feat). Good, it seemed more of a Robe of Mediocre Magi in the past.

Periapt of Wound Closure: no longer effective versus a weapon of wounding (which now causes CON loss). Too bad and also a bit illogical to not let it work vs. wounding weapons.

Necklace of Adaptation: price lowered from 19,000 gp. to 9,000 gp.

Mirror of Life Trapping: price gone up from 152,000 to 200,000 gp. Don't understand why, had hoped they reduced to activation to 4 each day, like with the Mirror of Opposition. Remains a Tarrasque-killer.

Mantle of Faith: grants damage reduction 5/evil for 76,000 gp.

Vibrant Purple Iouns Stone: now stores only 3 levels of spells instead of 6, price gone up from 12,000 to 36,000 gp. Fine with me, it was way too cheap before.

Horn of Blasting: now come in a greater and lesser variety. The automatic stun effect from the old horns has been removed. Only the greater horn can stun now (Fort DC 19 to negate), but it now does 10d6 points of sonic damage! 70,000 gp. for the greater, 20,000 gp. for the lesser horn.

Destil

Explorer
Philip said:
Wings of Flying: now costs 54,000 gp. Cost = spell level(3) * caster level(5) * 1800 (for command activated continous item) * 2 (for spell with a duration of 1/minute level. Much better costed, flight is way too useful.
The *2 makes me wonder if all the spell duration changes were partialy hopes of making the magic item creation more formulamatic....

Philip

Explorer
Some more changes, many expected, some of them quite surprising and shocking:

Helm of Underwater Action: Wow! gone up from 24,000 gp. to 57,000 gp.

Helm of Brilliance: a description of what happens to the gems if the helm overloads and detonates is added: fireballs are centered on the wearer, walls of fire extend outward in a random direction, prismatic sprays hit random targets within range (including wearer). Maybe employ it as a self-destruct device by sending a summoned creature with it out to your nemesis?

Gem of Seeing: use limited to 30 minutes a day (from unlimited).

Eyes of Doom: no more Eyebite, Fear (DC 16) instead.

Elixers: are now Wondrous Items and not potions.

Greater Cloak of Displacement: Aaack! Now only works for up to 15 rounds per day (from permanent). Needs command word to active. Still costs 50,000 gp. Talk about nerfing! And the Lesser Cloak does not have a time limit! This cannot be, what gives?

Cloak of Arachnida: gone up from 6,000 to 14,000 gp. Meaning we have another suddenly rich character in our Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil group.

Bracers of Archery: subdivided into Lesser (+1 to hit, no damage bonus, 5,000 gp.) and Greater (+2 attack, +1 damage for 25,000 gp.) Was to be expected.

Winged Boots: gone up from 12,000 to 16,000 gp.

Boots & Cloaks of Elvenkind: +5 bonus for 2,500 gp.

Boots of Teleportation: ??? This does exactly the same as the Helm of Teleportation, only the boots cost 49,000 gp. while the helm costs 73,500. Probably has something to do with a new item creation mechanic they are calling 'Body Slot Affinity'.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Interesting. I like the change to Greater Cloak of Displacement, it was an overpowred item.

I also wish the Fort save on the Hammer of Thunderbolts was higher. I would like it to be high enough that a Hill Giant is almost guaranteed to be dead and a Cloud giant has a good chance of being dead.

Speaks

First Post
Strand of Prayer Beads: used to be a necklace, now three different varieties, lesser, regular and greater.

Thanks for posting some changes I have a few questions about the above item

1) Does it take a necklace slot?

2) What are the properties and cost of the three different kinds?

Speaks

Philip

Explorer
Speaks said:

1) Does it take a necklace slot?

2) What are the properties and cost of the three different kinds?

Speaks

No, quote: 'The owner of the strand need not hold or wear the strand of prayer beads in any specific location, as long as he carries it somewhere on his person'

Lesser Strand: beads of bless & healing, 9,600 gp.

Strand: beads of healing, karma & smiting, 25,800 gp.

Greater Strand: beads of healing, karma, summons & wind walking, 95,800 gp.

Technik4

First Post
Boots of Teleportation: ??? This does exactly the same as the Helm of Teleportation, only the boots cost 49,000 gp. while the helm costs 73,500. Probably has something to do with a new item creation mechanic they are calling 'Body Slot Affinity'.

I've got some ideas about 'Body Slot Affinity'. In the DMG most items take up a common slot like Ring, Necklace, Glove, Boots, etc. But the helm slot is rarely used, hence a Helm of Teleportation may be cheaper than Boots of Teleportation.

Technik

Philip

Explorer
Technik4 said:

I've got some ideas about 'Body Slot Affinity'. In the DMG most items take up a common slot like Ring, Necklace, Glove, Boots, etc. But the helm slot is rarely used, hence a Helm of Teleportation may be cheaper than Boots of Teleportation.

Technik

I just read the sidebar about it. Apparently boots have affinity with movement (hence teleportation). Helmets have affinity with mental improvements and ranged attacks. Any power given to an item that doesn't share an affinity with the power will cost 50% extra.

HEL Pit Fiend

First Post
Philip said:

Mantle of Faith: grants damage reduction 5/evil for 76,000 gp.

I hope it's not the [3.0] version "Vestment of Faith", DR 5/+5, renamed to Mantle of Faith. One of my characters has one and he fights alot of outsider evil types ---> DR 5/evil would be a bad thing, bedy bedy baaaad :(

Speaks

First Post
Thanks for the info on the beads .. other questions:

1)Bags of Tricks in 3E
Gray - 900gp
Rust - 3000gp
Tan - 6300gp

2) Glove of Storing - 2200gp and used to allow according to the FAQ free action to retrieve or store an item. Did that change in 3.5?

3) Horseshoes of Speed - 3e 1900gp is it double movement or some set + to movement

4) Horseshoes of a Zephry - 3e 3000gp

5) I heard adamantine weapons changed to some degree as being able to bust through lots of DR and ignore some hardness. For an adamanitine weapons the cost +3000gp for (1d4,1d6) and +9000gp for (1d8,1d10,1d12). Have the cost changed for weapons?

Again thanks for fielding questions. In my area near washington DC we have to wait until the 18th for the books.

Speaks

Remove ads