• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Why 4E?

Ottergame

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
While I agree that the 4e threads are getting old, just be thankful that 4e is the topic of the moment and not "Low Magic, Grim & Gritty." That's one subject I hope is never resurrected.

While I am glad that little fad has gone away, I'm ready for THIS little fad to go away too. But everything has been a fad here ate one point in time. Low magic, 4e, Eberron, home brews before that, and so on. There's always something trendy being talked about on forums.

I propose that the next fad should be translating foreign language RPGs into d20.

Turanil

First Post
Ottergame said:
I propose that the next fad should be translating foreign language RPGs into d20.
Excellent idea! I per chance know of a Swiss rpg based on d20 that really looks like... as if 4e had been made Low Magic and Grim'n'Gritty! ;) :p

Ottergame

First Post
Turanil said:
Excellent idea! I per chance know of a Swiss rpg based on d20 that really looks like... as if 4e had been made Low Magic and Grim'n'Gritty! ;) :p

But is it anything like my home-brew Eberron setting?

kolvar

First Post
But I seem to remember, that there was talk about 4th edition coming from WoTC (or someone involved with 3rd edition), that it was sceduled for 2010 or so (although this was before 3.5 - ah yes, I remember, it was the astonishment of some involved with 3.0 that there already was a new edition)

kolvar said:
But I seem to remember, that there was talk about 4th edition coming from WoTC (or someone involved with 3rd edition), that it was sceduled for 2010 or so (although this was before 3.5 - ah yes, I remember, it was the astonishment of some involved with 3.0 that there already was a new edition)
Scheduled for 2010? These guys can't even keep the names straight of books coming out a couple months ahead, and you think they've got a five year plan?

Charles Ryan seems like a good guy, but I doubt he knows what he's having for breakfast tomorrow, let alone what's coming out in 2010.

Zappo

Explorer
From what I remember, the official line is "we have no projects, and we certainly won't start thinking about it before 2010" - not that it will be published in 2010. Anyway, many of the 4E threads floating around are mostly jokes by people who aren't really worried about it. ;)

kolvar

First Post
I think it was nothing realy official more a developer who talked a bit to much, but hey, by 2010 the market will be saturated with 3.5 products and it will be time to develop something new (or develop a new strategy).

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
jeff37923 said:
I keep seeing it mentioned that the 4th edition of DnD is going to come out Real Soon Now and muck everything up. Why does anyone think that 4E is going to happen? Has there been a press release about it from WotC?

I often wondered what the weird obsession was, too. It seems that at least once a week someone posts a 'sky is falling/4th ed thread' or brings back an existing one. I never understood where anyone got the idea.

Besides, it is not like it would be the end of the world even if it did come out soon. I never did buy 3.5 and things are fine in my campaign.

tetsujin28

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
While I agree that the 4e threads are getting old, just be thankful that 4e is the topic of the moment and not "Low Magic, Grim & Gritty." That's one subject I hope is never resurrected.
Nah. "Half-orcs/rangers/sorcerers/Zimbabweans get the shaft!". Now there's a classic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads