• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Why 4E?

hong said:
That would seem to depend on which football you're talking about. Alex Ferguson (Man Utd), Clive Woodward (England rugby union), Rod Macqueen (Austrian rugby union) and Wayne Bennett (Brisbane Broncos rugby league) are/were all coach/manager superstars....

Heck, even in American football...the Superbowl trophy is named after a coach (lombardi)...the Premier College programs are centered around coaches...and the current trend in the pro-game is based on the New England Patriots, who's three Superbowls in four years are almost singularly credited to the genius of their coach (Bellicek)...

Belen

Adventurer
nothing to see here said:
Why would this mythical group of businesspeople...whom gamers claim to be motivated only by greed, express that greed by repeating a business model that led to an unmitigated finanicial disaster...

I think the "suits" analogy was also fueled by Sean Reynolds famous Donut Cores and Forgotten Rums speach from back in the day. I still enjoy reading it!

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/gaming/forgottenrumsstory.html

It does show us that Hasbro "suits" have interfered with the game and I just cannot trust WOTC as much these days because of Hasbro and its history. Trust me, if Hasbro tanked the game, they would never sell the D&D name. The brand name will always be worth something.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
nothing to see here said:
Why would this mythical group of businesspeople...whom gamers claim to be motivated only by greed, express that greed by repeating a business model that led to an unmitigated finanicial disaster...

For the same reason that people keep trying to do any number of things that have not worked in the past or that have led to disaster: the beleif that that thing failed because the right people (read: we) were not in charge, not because there is something inherently wrong with the thing itself.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dark Jezter said:
Yeah, as a scapegoat whenever a RPG company goes under. ;)
It's a thankless job. They can manage to keep the company afloat but get vocal opposition because consumers want something in a certain way, or give what the customer wants even if it means go into the red.

Then there is the need to get sales up and quick during the first few weeks, just so they can pay the printing and distribution bills.

punkorange

First Post
Gentlegamer said:
Am I the only one who never bought the marketing use of "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS" for the d20 system? To me, "3e" was d20 Fantasy 1st editon . . . "3.5" is d20 Fantasy 2nd edition.

I agree with you and I frankly don't mind at all. Well except for the monster's like the beholder and mind flayer, which are dungeons and dragons monsters and non SRD.

Methos

Explorer
I sure hope not!!

jeff37923 said:
I keep seeing it mentioned that the 4th edition of DnD is going to come out Real Soon Now and muck everything up. Why does anyone think that 4E is going to happen? Has there been a press release about it from WotC?

Having played this wonderful game for the past 25 years, I do believe that 3.5 is the best edition that I have seen yet, and while not perfect, I have no wish for a 4th edition. Nor, have I heard anything from WoTC that would portend for a 4th Ed.

Methos

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads