• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The WotC OGL Release on DDB today was edited in real time!

How much new stuff for 3e SRD and the 5.0 SRD are you expecting? Is anyone making content for PF1? When was the last Mutants & Masterminds release?

While I've been fairly vocal in my disappointment about how Green Ronin has treated the official M&M line, in fairness, they released Danger Zones for M&M only a couple of months ago. And in the M&M 3pp market Rogue Genius has been producing the Super Powered Legends line for years now, pdfs containing M&M stat blocks & backgrounds for Marvel characters with the serial numbers filed off.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
They didn't give almost everything. I mean, I suppose if you're looking only at the number of things asked for and not how important an individual demand was, you could say that. However, they still plan on shutting down OGL 1.0a, which is gigantic and means that WotC didn't even come close to giving what people were asking for. They need to keep that around.
Yeah. Everything they "gave" (back?) is like the 1% of what they wanted to take. The actual OGL, that is the 99% we want back

Choosing not to buy their product is apparently extortion now.

77ivgm.jpg

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
This is wildly inaccurate. Fan fic isn't illegal
"Fan fic" as narrative might resemble rulings protecting parody.

But copyright law is murky, and cease-and-desist notices happen even when unwarranted.

Often, homebrew involves both copyright and trademark. Trademark laws are clear. And copyright is murky. All homebrew could become a hassle.

Any homebrew involving "mind flayers" and "beholders" would have Hasbro-WotC lawyers attack if so inclined.

But without the OGL 1.0a, things like "drow" and "tiefling" would also be vulnerable.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
"Fan fic" as narrative might resemble rulings protecting parody.

But copyright law is murky, and cease-and-desist notices happen even when unwarranted.

Often, homebrew involves both copyright and trademark. Trademark laws are clear. And copyright is murky. All homebrew could become a hassle.

Any homebrew involving "mind flayers" and "beholders" would have Hasbro-WotC lawyers attack if so inclined.

But without the OGL 1.0a, things like "drow" and "tiefling" would also be vulnerable.
For you to be correct they would have already have been suing every person and "publisher" sharing homebrew without using the OGL since the day they purchased TSR. Because if they aren't defending these violations they no longer control the IP.
And that means even suing people playing at a table in a public place that uses homebrew. That means suing social media companies for not protecting copyright and trademark. That means suing WordPress and Google for the same.

It's just not true. Homebrew is legal without the OGL.

Remove ads