• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The WotC OGL Release on DDB today was edited in real time!

Yaarel

He-Mage
For you to be correct they would have already have been suing every person and "publisher" sharing homebrew without using the OGL since the day they purchased TSR. Because if they aren't defending these violations they no longer control the IP.
And that means even suing people playing at a table in a public place that uses homebrew. That means suing social media companies for not protecting copyright and trademark. That means suing WordPress and Google for the same.

It's just not true. Homebrew is legal without the OGL.
I generally agree with you.

However, the attempt by Hasbro-WotC to "de-authorize" the OGL 1.0a changes everything.

One way or the other, we are entering into a new era of roleplay gaming.

"Fan fic" as narrative might resemble rulings protecting parody.

But copyright law is murky, and cease-and-desist notices happen even when unwarranted.

Often, homebrew involves both copyright and trademark. Trademark laws are clear. And copyright is murky. All homebrew could become a hassle.

Any homebrew involving "mind flayers" and "beholders" would have Hasbro-WotC lawyers attack if so inclined.

But without the OGL 1.0a, things like "drow" and "tiefling" would also be vulnerable.
This is patently false.

Yaarel

He-Mage
How about this. When we buy the game we have the right to use it, including according to the books sold to us, homebrewing the game. They can't sell us the game and then tell us we can't play it how we like.
When I talk about homebrewing, I specifically mean publicizing/publishing homebrew content.

Remove ads