The Outrider (Approved) Addendum (Approved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
K, that's fine, which means that standing in the saddle is just a neat trick but doesn't realy give you much of an advantage. (In fact, mechanicaly all it does give is a disadvantage). Maybe standing in the saddle lets you dismount or mount as part of a move action, or I just leave it as is.

Edit: It's been removed and is back in the origional approved format. Which is fine.

Perhaps replacing it with an ability that allows the outrider to either mount or dismount as a free action with perhaps a jump check to make sure you land on the ground correctly, or a ride check to make sure you don't land awkwardly on your horse.

I understand the mounted archery not corestponding to the standing in the saddle, but are those advantages too much? Or should I keep the archery powers and rename the ability?

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, Proposal to replace Stand in the Saddle with Sturdy in the Saddle.

Sturdy in the Saddle:
The outrider learns to maintain his balance and composure while in the saddle. Any penalties for being in the saddle are cut in half. This is cumulitive with any feats that reduce the effect as well (IE, cuts penalties by half after other feats, resulting in 1/4 for the Mounted Archery penalties for example). Also, the Outrider gains a +5 compitence bonus to Balance while mounted, and can take a 10 when mounting or dismounting.

How's that work for an ability?

Edit: Added the 1/4 note.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Knight Otu said:
Hmm, that's mostly the -4/-8 attack penalty, I believe. I think this is workable. Yes.
Pretty much. It basicly functions a lot like I was talking about earlier, but it's renamed from Stand in the Saddle, and the vagueness I think allows for more flexability.

Patlin

Explorer
Bront said:
How's that work for an ability?

Are there any penalties other than for mounted archery that this helps with? And if there are two stacking bonuses that each cut the penalty in half, do you get no penalty or 1/4 the normal penalty?

Bront

The man with the probe
Patlin said:
Are there any penalties other than for mounted archery that this helps with? And if there are two stacking bonuses that each cut the penalty in half, do you get no penalty or 1/4 the normal penalty?
1/4

And honestly, I'm not sure. I figured there might be, even if they are simply applied by the GM (-4 for basketweaving while mounted on a moving horse for example (Don't ask why :confused: )), so they power has the ability to be more flexable, and basicly tells the GM that things that should be harder while mounted/moving while mounted shouldn't be as hard for the outrider.

Knight Otu

First Post
Bront said:
D&D math suggests that it may be 1/3, since two doubles equal a triple. Of course, in a time where Keen and Imp. Crit. don't stack, such knowledge is easily lost. ;)

But I like 1/4 better. :p

orsal

LEW Judge
Knight Otu said:
D&D math suggests that it may be 1/3, since two doubles equal a triple. Of course, in a time where Keen and Imp. Crit. don't stack, such knowledge is easily lost. ;)

But I like 1/4 better. :p

If halving were to be consistent with the rule for multiplication stacking, two halvings would together make the quantity zero. The basis for the rule that two doublings make a tripling is that you're really adding rather than multiplying -- doubling is adding 1x the original, so doubling twice is adding 2x the original, or tripling. By that standard, halving is subtracting 0.5x the original, and if you do that twice you're left with 0.

But I think 1/4 works better, so let's say that the rule only applies to multiples bigger than 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads