• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The Daily "4e is Coming! Theory" Thread

shadow

First Post
Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't doubt that Wizards is currently planning a 4e. Let's face it, WotC is in the business of making money and new editions sell. The fact that most gamers I know went out and brought 3.5e as soon as it came out is testament to that fact. For that reason Wizards has officially stated that D&D is a "living game" that "constantly evolves as it is played" (i.e., new editions).

I wouldn't doubt that Wizards will announce 4e next year (maybe even this year at Gen Con, though I'd be a little surprised). It would fit nicely with the "new edition every 3 or 4 years" paradigm that many gaming companies go with.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
atom crash said:
I heard the 4E would hit store shelves on Dec. 22, 2012.

The truth is out there.
If you say enough things, one of them will be the truth.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I heard 4e will be online and subscription based. All the materials will be online and you won't be able to save them or print them. You'll have to pay a monthly fee and eratta won't be a problem since you'll always have to bring up the newest version from the server.

Staffan

Legend
shadow said:
Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't doubt that Wizards is currently planning a 4e.
Planning, sure. Heck, I recall Monte Cook saying something to the effect of "While I was writing 3e, I had a folder called "4th edition" that I put stuff I thought were good ideas but that I felt would be too radical for 3e in."

But are they actively writing it? I don't think so. We've had WOTC folks in charge (Charles Ryan, who's D&D boss over there) tell us that they currently don't have any active plans for a 4th edition, and that we'd have at least a year's warning before they release it (like we had a year's warning before 3e).

Hussar

Legend
Altalazar said:
EVERYONE knows that 4ed will shift to its own language, made up from scratch, that we'll all have to learn in order to read the core rulebooks. Each expansion will completely change the dialect, requiring even more languages. Of course, there will be plenty of source books on the language, and a CD-interactive course to learn to speak it, since some products will be released on audio only, requiring all gamers to be fluent speakers to play.

Time to get started! Before it is too late and then we'll all have to bleeerbork schhruld be daizees. In slpuuuuuuuuurds!

Beeblebork, sneep sharkle ssaarn.

*ROTFLMAO*

:lol:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
shadow said:
I wouldn't doubt that Wizards will announce 4e next year (maybe even this year at Gen Con, though I'd be a little surprised). It would fit nicely with the "new edition every 3 or 4 years" paradigm that many gaming companies go with.

If ya go with the idea that 3.5 was a "minor" upgrade (call it Service Pack 1 if ya want :))and 3E came out several years ago...then 4E should be announced at GC and out by '06 or '07 (that would put about 6 or 7 years between 3E and 4E, ignoring the service pack 3.5 release :)).

But- either way. 4E needs a codename, much like Windows Longhorn (which is now apparently officially gonna be called Windows Vista http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx). So, maybe WotC announces 4E at GC this year and then a contest to codename it while its in development.

MaxKaladin

First Post
I have this strange urge to go to GenCon carrying a backpack with a notebook labeled "4e Playtest Notes" peeking out just to see all hijinks that would ensue as people tried to get a peek.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads