• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The Daily "4e is Coming! Theory" Thread

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Because it's probably been almost 24-hours since we last saw one of these.

The SRD hasn't been updated in almost a year. No reason to update the SRD to support the current rules if a new version if in the works and coming within the next 24 months.

The D20 Future trademark is not in the D20STL and likely won't be added. Again, no reason to support the current licenses if the plan is to drop the current commercial products for "all new and improved" products.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Couple of more weeks til Gen Con. That should be when they make the announcement about 4E....

oh, and they'll also reveal who really shot JFK...and also announce that the sky is falling I believe. ;)

JamesDJarvis

First Post
I take all these "4e is coming" threads as ample evidence that 3.5 came out a little too soon: it did something to the d20 gamers psyche.

Nellisir

Hero
philreed said:
The SRD hasn't been updated in almost a year. No reason to update the SRD to support the current rules if a new version if in the works and coming within the next 24 months.

I think WotC has just stopped supporting the OGL. No more giving stuff away for free.

Cheers
Nell.

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
What 4E thread would be complete without a "What I Would Like To See In 4th Edition" type list?

1. Different Mechanics For Subraces. Instead of different ability modifiers for subraces within a given race, I would like to see something along the lines of the system used in The Wheel of Time rpg. Your region of origin helps determine what skills or feats might be available to you, i.e. a Wood Elf in a forest region might have as skills Move Silently, Hide, Survival, various Knowledge skills relating to the region (such as plants, animals, etc.), and feats such as Track. These would be considered class skills for the character, regardless of whatever class he chooses.

2. Use of Archetypes instead of Classes. Instead of just the generic fighter class, 4E would have instead several different archetypes: The Cavalier, the Swashbuckler, the Weapon Master, the Soldier, etc. Of course, now that I think about it, maybe the 4E PHB could include examples of different builds for the fighter class, according to the above archetypes.

These are just two that I could recall having thought about before. Number two may not be that useful, but I think number one could go a long ways towards giving both published worlds and homebrews a a level of detail that could aid in roelplaying, and could also help prevent humans from different regions from feeling the same.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads