• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

'The Burning Plague' Play-by-Post (Two Players still wanted)

tjasamcarl

First Post
I'm taking my first stab at dming through a play-by-post game in these in-character forums. To kick it off, i'm going through a few low-level modules.

I request the assistance of 4 players and their respective 1st level pcs in doing this. 32 point buy, max starting treasure. I'm open to all Wotc sources for feats, classes, and prcs, though before the latter is taken, i would appreciate a heads up.

The world is hombrew, though the setting will be the generic feudal kingdom of Horator. The world is divided by adherence to three seperate pantheons that arose from the collapse of the Som empire centuries before: the northern church, the southern, and D'or, or the 'Faith of the Sands'. They all corrispond to political affiliations centered around three empires, whether these are real states, like the southern Som empire, or only such in name, such as the northern empire and to a lesser degree that of the D'or. These three spheres also carry three 'common' languages: northern common, southern common, and sand common. Horator acts as a crossroads of trade and is in fact geographically located between Northern and Southern lands. The D'or caliphate is located to the distand south and east, beyond the Southern Som empire. But peoples of all three cultures can be found within its boarders, the population being split evenly between peoples of the north and south, D'orites limited to traders within the cities...

For prospective clerics: all domains are available to all pantheons, with the exception of the D'or faith, which lacks the chaos domain, being a lawful aligned creed. For an individual cleric, domains are limited by particular choice of patron diety, again with the exception of the D'or whose dieties share both clerics and adherents. The elemental gods are members of all pantheons, though their clerics are divided along those lines...If you have question about individual dieties, email me...

We will kick off with the 'Burning Plague', a popular 1st level module. The party will start off running in the town of Duvik's Pass, located at the bottlneck of the Yellow Valleys, hemmed between different expanses of the Serpentcoil Mountains that cross the entire southern expanse of Horator.

I will accept the first four prospective players who post character stats and a SHORT background in this thread. I would prefer one post per day, but will accept 1 per three. The pace and focus of this campaign will be 'old school'. Keep character exposition subtle, primarily a matter of tone, and not the function of long drawn-out exchanges that slow the pace of the game. Each player is free to start a Journal thread to further flesh out their character for anyone who might be interested, but lets keep all in-game posts directly relevant to the GAME. Gotta love hack-n-slash!! This is a practical conscern, as i would like to get a quick handle on the rules, being my first time.

Thanks for reading and any interest you have......

jasamcarl@hotmail.com for any questions

Insert: I still need a couple of players to fill the rogue and cleric positions..

All die rolls with the exception of hit die will be handled by me. I will post the numerical results after an action is taken

Last edited:

tjasamcarl

First Post
Jericho

Jericho Ibn Al-Sufaed
Fighter 1
Experience: 0
CR: 1
Race: Human
Alignment: Chaotic Good
STR 16
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 10
Hit Dice: 1d10+3
Hit Points: 13
Speed: 20 Feet
Initiative: +6
Armor Class: 18 (+2 DEX, +4 Armor, +2 Shield)
Base Attack Bonus: +1
Saving Throws: FORT +5; REF +2; WILL +0
Attack: +5 Bastard Sword (1d10+3 19-20/x2), +3 Shortbow (1d6 x3), +4 Dagger (1d4+3 19-20/x2), +4 Scimitar (1d6+3 18-20/x2)
Special Qualities: 1 extra skill point per level
Skills: Ride (4) +6, Jump (4) +7/+1, Climb (4) +7/+1
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword), Improved Initiative
Equipment: Bastard Sword, Shortbow (20 arrows), Dagger, Scimitar, Scale Mail, Large Steel Shield, Backpack (Bedroll, Winter Blanket, Flint & Steel, Grappling Hook, 50 feet Hemp Rope, 5 days Rations, Hooded Lantern), 71 GP
Description: Jericho is a tall human from the D’or Caliphate, he has blonde almost white hair, and has weathered skin that makes him look much older then he truly is. He is just approaching his mid-twenties, and was a conscripted soldier before leaving the army, after his term and seeking his own fortunes. He never truly fit in the military lifestyle, but excelled in the physical arts and uses his skills for his own benefit.

Jericho makes it his business to help others, he hates to watch others suffer, and despite his gruff exterior he goes out of his way to help others. He makes it a point to fight the good fight, and stand up for those who can’t stand up for themselves. He tends to run afoul of the authorities, simply because he does not get along with them.

tjasamcarl

First Post
Whitney

Whitney DellNoir: Female Human Wiz1; Medium Humanoid ; HD 1d4+1 (Wizard) ; hp 5; Init + 2; Spd 30; AC 12; Atk -1 base melee, + 2 base ranged; +2( 1d8, Crossbow, light ); -1 ( 1d4-1, Dagger ); -1 ( 1d6-1, Quarterstaff ); -5 ( 1d3-1, Unarmed ); AL NG; SV Fort + 1, Ref + 2, Will + 2; STR 9, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 17, WIS 10, CHA 14.

Possessions:
Money: 7 gp 7 sp 3 cp
Weapons: Crossbow, light; Bolts, crossbow (20); Dagger; Quarterstaff.

Goods: Backpack; Bedroll; Case, scroll (x2); Flint and steel; Ink (2 vials ); Lantern, hooded; Ink (vial), colored; Inkpen (2); Oil (3 pints); Sack; Sealing wax; Signet ring; Tent; Waterskin (2); Whetstone; Pouch, belt; Pouch, belt; Rations, trail (per day); Rations, trail (per day); Rations, trail (per day); Donkey; Feed (3 days); Saddle, pack; Bit and bridle.

Skills:
Alchemy + 2/5, Concentration + 4/5, Disguise + 2/4, Knowledge (arcana) + 4/7, Listen + 0/2, Perform + 2/4, Scry + 2/5, Spellcraft + 4/7, Spot + 0/2.

Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Scribe Scroll .

Spells Known (Wiz 3/2): 0 - Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Disrupt Undead, Flare, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Resistance; 1st - Comprehend Languages, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Magic Weapon, Sleep, True Strike.

Spells Prepared (Wiz 3/2): 0 - Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic; 1st - Mage Armor, Magic Missile.

Animal, Cat: None Animal, Cat ; CR 1/4; Tiny Animal ; HD 1/2d8 (Animal) ; hp 2; Init + 2; Spd 30, 30; AC 15; Atk --2 base melee, +4 base ranged; +4/-1 ( 1d2-4, 2 Claws;1d3-4, Bite ); AL N; SV Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1; STR 3, DEX 15, CON 10, INT 1, WIS 12, CHA 7.

Skills: Balance + 10, Climb + 5, Hide + 17, Listen + 4, Move Silently + 9, Spot + 4.
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Finesse: Bite.
Special: Move Silently Bonus of +2 to Master

reapersaurus

Explorer
tjasamcarl said:
Keep character exposition subtle, primarily a matter of tone, and not the function of long drawn-out exchanges that slow the pace of the game.
Subtle characterisation can lead to people having to guess what your character is thinking - or even worse - not guessing at what they're about at all.

I wouldn't blanket restrict the way that characters interact right off the bat - I'd wait to see how these PbP adventures work before stifling character interaction of any kind.

BTW - who are the 2 players so far?
I don't get why you posted the first two? *confused*

tjasamcarl

First Post
Ok...

Reap, having followed your posts, consider yourself excluded from my game.

The point should have been obvious, keep whatever form of character exposition and dialogue directly applicable to the GAME, i.e. surviving encounters. No long exchanges that slow the progress through an adventure. I was pretty direct conscerning the intended themes of this campaign...combat and looting...

As to the stat-blocks, they are there as a point of reference for me, and as a guide for prospective players who are crafting pcs with the intent of complimenting the current party...

tjasamcarl

First Post
Allow me to qualify

I honestly don't care about character development. If you can throw it in without disrupting the pace of a game which is already hampered by a cumbersome format, fine. But i'm running this as a GAME....

Razamir

Explorer
I am interested in joining. This will be the second play by post game I've played in. I've played table-top RPGs for many years.

I am a hack n' slasher to the core, so this sounds like a lot of fun. I will make a character tonight and post it asap.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads