• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tactical Combat Module, hasn't it always been there?

Li Shenron

Legend
Still after all these years I hear people complain that 5e is not modular enough or that WotC has broken their promise to deliver modularity. Yesterday I was browsing the DMG with this in mind and counted at least thirty paragraphs of stuff which I would definitely consider to be "optional rules modules".

Some of them are really small (e.g. the Flanking "module" is practically a single rule) but nevertheless can have a significant impact on gameplay (indeed, try add Flanking to your game if you don't believe me), while others are fairly complex with a page or more of description.

Many aren't explicitly listed as optional, but they effectively are, as they are definitely "modular" in the purest sense i.e. you don't need to change other parts of the game whether you use them or skip them. The primary example for me is Inspiration, which I am sure many consider "essential" in their game, except that I have never used it and my game still works without further changes. Even the whole combat grid can be considered an optional module, in fact I am not using that either (and no, I am not ignoring distances and areas in my game, I am just measuring them in every direction instead of trying to adhere to a discrete subdivision of space).

Sometimes I think many people might have in mind the mythic idea of a "tactical combat module" when they claim that WotC didn't deliver. So while thinking about it, I decided to cherrypick a bunch of smaller modules from the DMG and see if altogether they form a decent tactical combat (assembled) module. Here is what I came up with:

• either combat grid or gridless combat, but definitely avoid TotM
  • ALL optional combat Actions (Disarm, Mark, Overrun, Shove Aside, Tumble, Climb Onto)
  • Flanking
  • Facing
  • Speed Factor
  • Mobs
  • Hitting Cover
  • Cleaving Through Creatures
  • Massive Damage
  • Morale
  • Mounted Combat, Underwater Combat and Weather rules when appropriate*

*these are not explicitly optional rules

You can also feature the Injuries and the Chases modules, but I decided not to include them in the list because they are more about what happens after combat rather than during.

So what do you think about it? I can imagine how each one of those modules can be disliked, but all together it's hard for me to believe that this isn't already quite tactical and complex!

atanakar

Hero
For some reason many D&D DMs and players feel the DMG is an optional book and they don't carefully read it cover to cover. They only use it for treasures and how to build encounters. That is a grave mistake, especially with 5e.

I call that the d20/Pathfinder effect. By that I mean that these PHB were bloated. I prefer the 5e approach of having all these sweet additional and optional rules in the hands of the DM. That way the DM can sculpt the style of game he wants at his table for a specific campaign.

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
Totally agree @Li Shenron ! Great observation. I don't use all the options in the DMG but I've spent a lot of time looking them over. It's one of my favorite sections in the book.

I really like the Combat Options, Cleave, Hitting Cover, Injuries, Massive Damage, and Spell Points. Thanks for pointing out the "Mobs" rule too - I actually missed that one!

I've started tweaking the Combat Options a bit as well. I think some of those could have been rolled into the Acrobatics and Athletics skills.

I'm leery of things like flanking and tinkering with rest and healing, not because they are bad rules, but because they have much bigger game consequences. Same with Proficiency Dice. I really appreciate that the devs put them in though!

Undrave

Legend
For some reason many D&D DMs and players feel the DMG is an optional book and they don't carefully read it cover to cover. They only use it for treasures and how to build encounters. That is a grave mistake, especially with 5e.

I call that the d20/Pathfinder effect. By that I mean that these PHB were is bloated. I prefer the 5e approach of having all these sweet additional and optional rules in the hands of the DM. That way the DM can sculpt the style of game he wants at his table for a specific campaign.

I don't DM, so I didn't buy the DMG, so I never knew these rules were in there and if my DMs weren't sure about them, I sure as heck can't express my opinion about using them if I don't know they exist.

Dausuul

Legend
Well, your DM failed you.
I'm sorry, when did it become the DM's job to pre-emptively walk the players through the DMG? If I want to use an optional rule from the DMG, I'll show it to the players and discuss it. If I don't, I won't. Players who want to see what other options exist are free to buy their own DMG or borrow mine, but in my experience most players aren't interested enough to bother, and that's fine.

This does point up a problem with the "tactical module," though: Since most players do not own a DMG, they can't look up the rules in it and must rely on the DM to tell them how everything works. This is a manageable burden if using just a couple optional rules, but using the entire "tactical module" described above would be a real chore.

5E has tactical rules the way the Transformers movies have a plot - yeah, technically something meeting that definition is present, it just doesn't seem like anyone has put any real thought into it.

For example using the DMG optional flanking rule without some houserule changes to AoO means flanking is not only a much bigger bonus (advantage vs. a flat +2) but it is way easier to get because in 5E you can just wade through a creatures' reach to get behind it without drawing an AoO. Essentially the 5E flanking rule is: if you outnumber an enemy you have perma-advantage on any melee attacks. Whereas in 3.x flanking was balanced by the AoO and 5-foot step rules to make it harder to get.

Now it is not an big deal for me personally because I can (and have) cobbled together something that works for me and my group. But I imagine new players who might otherwise enjoy more tactical games trying it out and thinking tactical combat was just unworkable.

But hey, YMMV so I would encourage you to try out the optional rules yourself and draw your own conclusions. Pointing to a laundry list of optional rules that you haven't used at your table and saying "THIS should satisfy people" isn't a particularly compelling case.

Remove ads