D&D 5E Active Perception Check: 5e and Me

So you're currently running 3 games; 5e, 4e, and PF2e? Do you feel like it's hard keeping the rule differences clear between games since they're all the same genre? I feel like that would be hard, I know learning PF2e was a battle at first to forget the 5e-isms I had to remember how PF2e does things. 7 months in, I don't know if I could switch back and forth between PF2e and 5e rapidly on a week to week basis. I have run Call of Cthulhu and since it's a different genre and style of game, I find it a lot easier to remember how that game works.

Retreater

Legend
So you're currently running 3 games; 5e, 4e, and PF2e? Do you feel like it's hard keeping the rule differences clear between games since they're all the same genre? I feel like that would be hard, I know learning PF2e was a battle at first to forget the 5e-isms I had to remember how PF2e does things. 7 months in, I don't know if I could switch back and forth between PF2e and 5e rapidly on a week to week basis. I have run Call of Cthulhu and since it's a different genre and style of game, I find it a lot easier to remember how that game works.
Sure is. Last week I killed a character in the 4e game because I mixed up the death and dying rules, using a hodgepodge of 5e and PF2. (To be fair, the character probably would have died anyway.)
Then I forget little things ("oh, we should've gotten a Fame point when we got a critical success on our kingdom turn.") [Oh, yeah, my PF2 game is Kingmaker, so we're using all those new subsystems for kingdom management too.]
But everyone likes that Fantasy20 stuff. Running something vastly different would get less mixed up, but a lot more work to learn (and teach).

Li Shenron

Legend
I remember introducing Grimtooth traps to my campaign. Worst thing I ever did. I didn't use those awesome traps that often but it turned every dungeon style encounter into a paranoid horror of the party checking everything, everywhere, all the time if they could. I almost wiped the party because they were more afraid of running away down an unknown corridor, than dieing fighting a horde of orcs. That broke what little fun i had from dungeon crawls.
Though... it sounds amazing for exactly a paranoid horror game (as long as you don’t turn it into an endless series of dice rolls).

Remove ads