• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Recruitment][PBP] Nightmares Campaign

Sacora

First Post
Paltara

I think I’ll give this a try, it sounds pretty neat. I tried to list everything for my character because I have been known to make mistakes with character creation. If you catch one just let me know and I’ll change it.

Character: Paltara, Halfling 7 levels Rogue and 2 levels Shadowdancer.

Alignment: CN
Hitpoints: 52
AC: 21
Init: 9
Base Attack: +6
Melee +7 Ranged +12 (+13 thrown)

Strength 10 (12 without size neg)
Dexterity 20 (18 without bonus)
Constitution 13
Intelligence 14
Wisdom 10
Charisma 13

Base speed 40 (boots)

Fort 2
Reflex 8
Will 2

Skills: Balance 10 (5 ranks); Bluff 8 (7); Decipher Script 4 (2); Disable Device 9 (7); Disguise 7 (6); Gather Information 6 (5); Hide 21 (12); Jump 12 (+2 race, +10 boots); Listen 14 (12); Move Silent 19 (12); Open Lock 8 (3); Perform 6 (5); Pick Pocket 15 (10); Read Lips 6 (4); Search 7 (5); Sense Motive 4 (4); Spot 6 (6); Tumble 12 (7); Use Rope 9 (4)

Feats
Dodge
Mobility
Combat Reflexes
Improved Initiative

Languages
Halfling
Common
Elven
Orcish

Gear
Dusty Rose oun stone
Ring of protection +1
Boots of springing and striding
Necklace of fireballs type 2
4 Cure light wounds potions
3 sunrods
2 alchemists fire
2 smokesticks
MW thieves tools
50' silk rope
Steel mirror

Weapons
6 Daggers (1 is a +1) +7/+13 1D4 10’
+1 Handax +8 1D6+1
Sling +12 1 D4
Light Crossbow +12 1D4

Armor
Studded leather +3
Paltara appears to be about 16 but guesses she is actually in her early 20’s (not sure how Halflings age, and without a book to double check) While she is not thrilled that she appears so young she does use it to her advantage. She is 3’ ¼” tall and has crystal blue eyes and brown hair.

She does not really remember much about her mother beyond that she was very sickly. She carries a hair piece that belonged to her. Her mother passed away and her aunt took over the house. She was bitter that she had little and that it took her sisters death to finally get a house. This anger quickly became directed at Paltara. She left and was taken in by her cousin, Kalla, who is about the same age, but had a small rundown “house” on the edge of town. They ran scams in town together and were able to get pity because they were so young. Paltara can still run some of the scams, but her cousin began to get too old. This is when they learned to thieve, and quite well. Kalla married, and while she offered Paltara a room in their house she decided that it was time to leave. For a time she worked for the thieves guild in a nearby town, which allowed her to improve her skills. Now traveling from city to city she has gotten very good.

Paltara and another member of the thieves guild, Ran, see the sign for adventures. While she knows it, but would never admit it, Ran is slightly better than her and she has learned from him. However, he is constantly teasing her and trying to trip her up. He challenged her with the poster, claiming she would never make it. This is more than enough to spark her temper and she goes straight to the temple to register before she can even consider changing her mind. Ran seems amused and a little too happy that she will be preoccupied for a while….

Paragon Badger

First Post
YEAH I'M DONE!!!

I survived another week of midterms, particulary the Microbial Phys. So now that I have some free time I'll print out your characters. You can still change or submit until tomorrow afternoon but if you make any edits in your old posts point them out so I'll notice.

The party will be together alot so I want to keep it at a moderate size so I'll probably pick 5-6 PCs.

reapersaurus

Explorer
congrats, paragon! (on surviving, not necessarily passing, since we don't know... ) :)

i sent you an email, to help me decide something about my character Melvos.

garyh

First Post
Here's my character in stat block form. A nice clean character sheet can be found here, and Nazgrel's lion companion Razor Claw can be found here.

Nazgrel Lion Heart, Male Half-Orc
Barbarian 2 / Druid 7 of Nobanion
Hit Dice: (2d12)+(7d8)+18
Hit Points: 74
Initiative: +6
Speed: Walk 40'
AC: 19
Attacks: Pick +1 (Heavy) +11/+6; Dagger +10/+5; Club +10/+5; Sling +1 +10/+5
Damage: Pick +1 (Heavy) 1d6+4; Dagger 1d4+3; Club 1d6+3; Sling +1 1d4+1
Face\Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft.\5
Special Qualities: Animal Companion,Nature Sense,Orc Blood,Rage 1/day,Resist Nature's Lure,Trackless Step,Uncanny Dodge (Dex bonus to AC),Wildshape 3/day,Woodland Stride
Saves: Fortitude: +12, Reflex: +6, Will: +11
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 7
Skills: Animal Empathy 3; Concentration 16; Diplomacy 2; Intimidate 3; Jump 37; Ride 7; Wilderness Lore 16
Feats: Armor Proficiency (Light),Armor Proficiency (Medium),Improved Initiative,Martial Weapon Proficiency,Run,Shield Proficiency,Simple Weapon Proficiency,Skill Focus (Concentration),Track
Challenge Rating: 9
Alignment: Neutral Good
Possessions: Outfit (Explorer's); Pick +1 (Heavy); Dagger; Club; Sling +1; Leather +1; Shield +1 (Large/Wooden); Cloak of Resistance +2; Periapt of Wisdom +2; Ring +1 (Protection); Scroll (Cure Serious Wounds); Scroll (Cure Moderate Wounds); Potion (Cure Moderate Wounds); Potion (Cure Serious Wounds); Bedroll; Flint and Steel; Rations (Trail/Per Day); Waterskin; Holy Symbol (Silver); Pouch (Spell Component); Outfit (Traveler's); Outfit (Cold Weather); Bullets (Sling/10); Heward's Handy Haversack; Ring (Jumping); Coin (Platinum); Coin (Gold);

reapersaurus

Explorer
Updated character:

Melvos Brackenshire, male human Clr3, Ftr2, Pal1, Rgr1, SinghRager2: CR 9
HP 71
Init +1 (Dex); Spd 30 ft (hide deemed light armor)
AC 18 (+5 Rhino Hide, +2 large steel shield, +1 Dex)
Atks +11/+11/+6/+6 melee (1d8+4 shield bash - more to come)
SA favored enemy, spells, turn undead; SQ detect evil, divine grace, divine health, lay on hands
AL LG
SV Fort +22, Ref +10, Will +14. <-- all not including Charm domain
Str 16 (18 w/ Gauntlets), Dex 12, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 20 (24 w/ Command Shield, 26 w/Cloak, 30 w/ Charm domain)
Skills: Animal Empathy 5 Ranks (+13), Handle Animal 8 Ranks (+2 To Animals), Heal +6, Iajutsu Focus 4 Ranks (+12), Profession: Cook +2, Spot +4.
Feats: Ambidexterity (virtual), Two-Weapon Fighting (virtual), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (virtual), Power Attack, Divine Might, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Charge, Divine Shield, Iron Will, Ki Shout.
Equipment: Lion's Shield (+1 Bashing), +1 Command Large Spiked Steel Shield, MW Mighty Composite Longbow +4, Rhino Hide Armor, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, 3 flasks Holy Water, Wand of CLW, 3 potions of CLW, common adventuring gear.
Scrolls: Cause Fear, Cure Light Wounds x 10, Magic Weapon x 3, Endure Elements x2, Divine Favor x2, Obscuring Mist x 2, Shield of Faith x 5
Domains: Charm and Nobility
 SA:Turn Undead (Su)–11/day, Melvos Brackenshire can attempt to turn undead creatures. He can turn undead with no more than (1d20+4)/3 HD. Each attempt, he turns 2d6+11 total HD. Undead with 1 or fewer HD are destroyed instead.
 SQ:Lay on Hands (Sp)–Melvos Brackenshire can heal up to 8 hit points per day, divided among any number of creatures.
Cleric Spells Prepared (3/1+1): Create Water, Detect Magic, Virtue / Weapon Bless (OA)
Domain Spells: Divine Favor

Background
Melvos stands a lean 5'7" tall, 169 pounds, and is a specimen of human fitness. He works out daily, with many exercises to strengthen body and weapon prowess.
His prime concern is to be as much of a help to those around him as he can.
He is driven to make other people's lives as comfortable as possible.
From an early age, he was instilled by his mother an intense edict to "play nice" and be liked by all those around him.
"Don't you WANT those people to like you, Melvos? How are you going to get anywhere in life if people don't like you?"

He has grown up to be an over-grown Boy Scout, helping anyone, even if they have proven to take advantage of him in the past.
He will constantly see the good in a person if they but even give lip service to being his friend.
His low Wisdom (especially for a Paladin) is my best guess to emulate this pathological condition of having to be liked by everyone he meets.
He constantly agonizes over his decisions, and whether he is doing enough for the people in his life.
He guzzles the medeival equivalent of Maalox like it's water.
In his relationships with women (he's quite popular with the ladies due to his inability to say no to them and his good looks and charm), they walk all over him and he tends to attract those that would take advantage of his excessive compassion.
Yes, you could say Melvos is pu$$y-whipped.

He naturally knows how to cook, since that fits right in line with how he can be better liked by people, and making things more comfortable for them. He also feels very comfortable with animals, and they are naturally affected by Melvos' inner strength. Animals don't look to take advantage of Melvos' kindness, and most of the time they don't walk all over him. ;)

He will fight to defend others, and protect innocent people against evil.
Not because evil is bad, necessarily, but because evil people tend to be inconsiderate and rude, and make life uncomfortable for good people.
If an evil person truly expresses a desire to change, he will ALWAYS be a sucker for it.

Along those lines, he wields Shields in battle, not quite as deadly or offensive-natured as a sword. With a shield attack, he can batter opponents around with his special shield bash ability, hopefully knocking sense into his opponents (while simultaneously knocking them into his friends, hopefully gaining AoO's in the process). As he has grown in power, Melvos has mastered the Shield style and is now quite feared for his damage-dealing capabilities. He respects the power and nobility of the lion, and tries to emulate them in his fighting style.
While easily duped in social situations, Melvos is a holy terror in combat, and if forced will kill if the opponent truly is beyond recovery. His humble, almost meek demeanor, is betrayed by his fierce Rages and Roars in battle which have been known to send entire opposing squads running in fear.

*based off of Melvin in The Big Hit (played by Mark Wahlberg)...

melvos1.jpg
melvos2.jpg
melvos3.jpg

site1014.jpg

The last shows the Lion's Shield, but take away the Full Plate, replace with Rhino Hide, and add a Command Shield instead of the lance. (pic by Jeremy's wife)

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
garyh - how'd you make those great html pages that have your character's stats?
I particularly like the buttons that allow you to change the amount of detail the pages display.
Attached is a doc with Melvos and rules details.

Attachments

• melvos brackenshire level 9.doc
    30 KB · Views: 130

Paragon Badger

First Post
I want to thank everybody for making a character. All the characters have great concepts, which made our choices very hard. :) Quicksilver and I picked 6 PCs for the game.

drs as Sean Reaver (Human Barbarian2 / Rogue 7)
Krug as Ichtor Tardas (Human Conjurer 5 / Alienist 4)
garyh as Nazgrel Lionheart (Half-orc Barbarian 2 / Druid 7)
Storminator as Dorn Hardwood (Human Fighter 9)
Golden Eagle as Jonas (Half Dragon (gold)/Human Paladin 6)
Reapersaurus as Melvos Brackenshire (Human Cleric 3/Fighter 2/Ranger 1/Paladin 1/Singh Rager 2)

The name of the campaign is : The Sandman's Binding

I'll post a combat example soon. We'll start playing in a couple days.

I'll assume everyone starts in Silverymoon. However, unless you want to work it out, I'll assume the PCs don't know each other. If you want your PCs to know each other, post it up and I'll take it into account.

Post your final PCs here. [PCs]The Sandman’s Binding PbP

Paragon Badger

First Post
Here is a combat example. The dashed lines represent a new post.
---------------------
Posted by: DM

You find yourself in a room 10’ by 10’. The walls are crafted of hewn stone. In a corner, upon a pedestal, sits a pie. In front of the pedestal, looking very hungry, is an orc.

The orc wears crude studded leather armor and wields a poorly made Morningstar and a wooden shield.

It looks at you and growls, “My pie! You no eat! MY PIE!”

Initiative
Redgar (18 + 4) = 22
Orc (13 + 0) = 13
Galstaff (5 + 4) = 9

Map: (see below, normally would be here if this was actually in game)
----------------------
Posted by: Galstaff

Galstaff calls out, “Die fiend!”

I cast MAGIC MISSLE!

Galstaff casts magic missile defensively.
-----------------------
Posted by: Redgar

Redgar glares the orc down, “Redgar eat your pie, orc!”

Redgar attacks with his bastard sword.
------------------------------------

Redgar lunges at the orc with a diagonal slash. The orc is unable to dodge the blow, but catches the blow on his shield. (To Hit 10 + 3 = 13 vs. AC 14) This knocks Redgar off balance leaving the orc an opening.

The orc bellows and swings his mace right into Redgar’s side. (To Hit 15 + 1 =16 vs. AC 15). Redgar feels a rib crack under the force of the blow (6 damage).

Galstaff attempts to take advantage of the distraction and begins to intone a spell. However, the orc reacts too quickly and delivers a little blow to Galstaff’s thigh. (Concentration check 10 + 4 = 14 vs. DC 15. AoO for 2 damage)

The hero are shocked by the orc’s martial prowess.

Redgar 6/12 hp
Galstaff 4/6 hp

Orc appears unwounded

-----------------
Posted by: Redgar

“Redgar says, you die now!”

Power attack the orc with a -2 to hit.
----------
Posted by: Galstaff

“Mommy!!!”, Galstaff whimpers

Glastaff cowers in a corner.

Total defense for this round.
---------------------

Redgar lunges at the orc with a brutal overhead strike. The orc is caught and unable to dodge. (To Hit 20+1 = 21, Confirm 14+1 = 15 vs. Ac 14). Redgar blow destroys the orc with a spray of blood. (15 damage)

With your last foe dead at your feet, the way to the pie is open!

Status
Redgar 6/12 hp
Galstaff 4/6 hp

Orc appears dead and diced.

This is a really quick and thrown together example. Actual combat will be better organized on the DM's side. Red is dice rolls and blue is any DM talk.

Attachments

• oandp.gif
    oandp.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 161

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads