• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Proposal) Academy of the Chromatic Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
It's a feat, so I don't see why it shouldn't stack. Skill Focus and Magical Aptitude stack, and it's not like a huge Spellcraft skill would be gamebreaking.

the Lorax

First Post
Allowing the stacking of multiple +2/+2 feats and skill focus is perfectly fine.
a. they are unnamed bonuses
b. its really not that big of a deal, there arn't people beating down the doors to take another +2/+2 feat for mechanical reasons.

IMC, I have replaced ALL +2/+2 feats with one feat:
Skilled (descriptor) - pick any 2 skills and a descriptor for how they link together, get +2 to those 2 skills.

So Alertness would be replaced with Skilled (Alert)

I run 3 groups currently, and nobody is eagerly stacking up skill bonuses.

orsal

LEW Judge
Bront said:
It's a feat, so I don't see why it shouldn't stack. Skill Focus and Magical Aptitude stack, and it's not like a huge Spellcraft skill would be gamebreaking.

Because the +2/+2 feats in the SRD are disjoint, it is never possible to get more than +5 skill bonus just from feats. Introducing overlapping +2/+2 feats changes that -- with this feat as written it is possible to take three feats to get +7 to one particular skill.

I like the idea of creating different combinations of +2/+2 feats so that a character for whom only one half of an official pair of skills is appropriate can take a fitting feat. So I'd generally be open to creating lots of +2/+2 feats on demand, so long as the two skills are somewhat related. But I don't want thereby to open the door to unlimited feat-stacking. I want to enable more flexibility in skill combinations, not more stacking.

Specifying that +2/+2 feats do not stack with each other, although they do stack with Skill Focus, keeps +5 as the maximum skill bonus possible from feats alone.

I suppose I could overlook the stacking in this case because of the special nature of Academy Graduate -- it's available only to characters with a specific backstory. (Also, Magical Aptitude is such a silly combination that it's unlikely ever to be used.) But if we start proposing generally available +2/+2 feats that stacked, I'd probably vote against them.

LogicsFate

First Post
the Lorax said:
IMC, I have replaced ALL +2/+2 feats with one feat:
Skilled (descriptor) - pick any 2 skills and a descriptor for how they link together, get +2 to those 2 skills.

So Alertness would be replaced with Skilled (Alert)

I like it

LogicsFate

First Post
orsal said:
I suppose I could overlook the stacking in this case because of the special nature of Academy Graduate -- it's available only to characters with a specific backstory. (Also, Magical Aptitude is such a silly combination that it's unlikely ever to be used.) But if we start proposing generally available +2/+2 feats that stacked, I'd probably vote against them.

Is that similar to anouther yes? I'm starting to get excited

Knight Otu

First Post
As long as the +2/+2 feats don't go overboard, I'm fine with the stacking.

Manzanita, I changed the thread category to Proposal. For some reason, it was Tavern.

Patlin

Explorer
I like the order and have no objection to the feat. I've never met a +2/+2 skill feat I liked, personally, so the idea of getting a bunch of them and having them stack strikes me as a waste of time rather than as an abuse. I'd take empower spell over any +2/+2 feat any day of the weak. (Bad powergamer! Down!) :)

Edit to be more clear: I vote to aprove.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads