(Proposal) Academy of the Chromatic Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
It's a feat, so I don't see why it shouldn't stack. Skill Focus and Magical Aptitude stack, and it's not like a huge Spellcraft skill would be gamebreaking.

the Lorax

First Post
Allowing the stacking of multiple +2/+2 feats and skill focus is perfectly fine.
a. they are unnamed bonuses
b. its really not that big of a deal, there arn't people beating down the doors to take another +2/+2 feat for mechanical reasons.

IMC, I have replaced ALL +2/+2 feats with one feat:
Skilled (descriptor) - pick any 2 skills and a descriptor for how they link together, get +2 to those 2 skills.

So Alertness would be replaced with Skilled (Alert)

I run 3 groups currently, and nobody is eagerly stacking up skill bonuses.

orsal

LEW Judge
Bront said:
It's a feat, so I don't see why it shouldn't stack. Skill Focus and Magical Aptitude stack, and it's not like a huge Spellcraft skill would be gamebreaking.

Because the +2/+2 feats in the SRD are disjoint, it is never possible to get more than +5 skill bonus just from feats. Introducing overlapping +2/+2 feats changes that -- with this feat as written it is possible to take three feats to get +7 to one particular skill.

I like the idea of creating different combinations of +2/+2 feats so that a character for whom only one half of an official pair of skills is appropriate can take a fitting feat. So I'd generally be open to creating lots of +2/+2 feats on demand, so long as the two skills are somewhat related. But I don't want thereby to open the door to unlimited feat-stacking. I want to enable more flexibility in skill combinations, not more stacking.

Specifying that +2/+2 feats do not stack with each other, although they do stack with Skill Focus, keeps +5 as the maximum skill bonus possible from feats alone.

I suppose I could overlook the stacking in this case because of the special nature of Academy Graduate -- it's available only to characters with a specific backstory. (Also, Magical Aptitude is such a silly combination that it's unlikely ever to be used.) But if we start proposing generally available +2/+2 feats that stacked, I'd probably vote against them.

LogicsFate

First Post
the Lorax said:
IMC, I have replaced ALL +2/+2 feats with one feat:
Skilled (descriptor) - pick any 2 skills and a descriptor for how they link together, get +2 to those 2 skills.

So Alertness would be replaced with Skilled (Alert)

I like it

LogicsFate

First Post
orsal said:
I suppose I could overlook the stacking in this case because of the special nature of Academy Graduate -- it's available only to characters with a specific backstory. (Also, Magical Aptitude is such a silly combination that it's unlikely ever to be used.) But if we start proposing generally available +2/+2 feats that stacked, I'd probably vote against them.

Is that similar to anouther yes? I'm starting to get excited

Knight Otu

First Post
As long as the +2/+2 feats don't go overboard, I'm fine with the stacking.

Manzanita, I changed the thread category to Proposal. For some reason, it was Tavern.

Patlin

Explorer
I like the order and have no objection to the feat. I've never met a +2/+2 skill feat I liked, personally, so the idea of getting a bunch of them and having them stack strikes me as a waste of time rather than as an abuse. I'd take empower spell over any +2/+2 feat any day of the weak. (Bad powergamer! Down!) :)

Edit to be more clear: I vote to aprove.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads