• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT, Starwars] He has seen the light... maybe...

El_Gringo

First Post
I've pretty much spoiled myself by reading the floating script. However, from what I read, Episode II should probably be the second best movie in the series.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Savage Wombat said:
I hope the dialogue in SWII improves. Not the acting ability, the lines themselves.

I can think of dozens of clever, humorous, or dramatic lines from the original trilogy. Lines that immediately draw back the emotions associated with that scene.

I can't think of any, really, from tPM. That, to me, shows the true weakness of the prequel.

Here's hoping AotC has something more to offer.

I agree entirely. Dialogue makes the movie, IMHO. (Reason why Pulp Fiction rocked.) Witty banter is a crucial part of this genre of movies.

The only line in TPM that even comes close to film immortality is when Obi Wan says "Why do I feel like we are about to take on another pathetic lifeform?"

Most of the witty banter in 4, 5 and 6 comes from Han Solo. TPM needed an equivalent vehicle for the witty banter. Instead we got Jar Jar. :rolleyes:

I've always advocated that Darth Maul would have been a memorable character if he had traded lines with Qui-Gon. Instead, he was just the red-headed, bad guy who got chopped in half...

Gizzard

First Post
Here's the opening paragraph from the Time article about Lucas.

Maybe George Lucas ought to get out more. For the past three years, as he ruled his multimedia empire from the palatial redoubt of Skywalker Ranch in Marin County, Calif., Lucas has dwelt in the lovely dream that his 1999 Star Wars movie, Episode I—The Phantom Menace, was universally loved. Lately, though, inquiring journalists have slapped him awake. "I'm getting my education now from the press," he says. "They come in and say, 'Wow. People hated your movie. What do you think about that?'"

It doesnt sound like he learned anything; certainly not anything in time to affect the making of the Clone movie. (Heres the URL if you wanna read the whole thing. http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020429/story.html ) And if that doesnt convince you, how about this:

Lucas blames the anti-Jar Jar sentiment on "37-year-old guys who spend all their time on the Internet.

Hmmmph! I'll have you know I am only 36! :) But, really, the point is that Jar-Jar was a horrible idea, you dont have to be over 35 to notice how he disrupts every scene he is in. But to Lucas, he's a fine idea dragged down by a bunch of internet nerds. How Ayn Rand.

But, in any case, this is all speculation until the movie comes out. I wont be going to see it until it gets some decent reviews from friends, but I'm kinda hopeful, I keep hearing how this movie will be better than the first one. But I'm also kinda cynical. No one wields the hype machine like a movie studio promoting its summer blockbusters, so I try to take these little tidbits with a grain of salt.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
mastermind said:
Oh, I'll tell ya'll if it's any good on May 9th, when I'll be seeing it.

Narner narner narner. :p

That's ok, I've already seen it and it hasn't lent any weight to my opinion. As others here have said, there isn't a review in the world that is going to change the ticket sales of this movie in the slightest.

At any rate I don't dispute that it will be better than EP1, but the title of the thread was, "Has he seen the light?" and the answer is a resounding NO.

If you don't think there was any "light" for him to see in the first place, as many defenders here believe, there's not much to see in this thread...

Wulf

hong

WotC's bitch
ConcreteBuddha said:

The only line in TPM that even comes close to film immortality is when Obi Wan says "Why do I feel like we are about to take on another pathetic lifeform?"

There was also an off-the-cuff remark by Amidala, when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon face off against Darth Maul in the hangar: "we'll take the long way".

I suspect Natalie Portman came up with the line on the spur of the moment, because it doesn't appear in the official script. It just goes to show....

King_Stannis

Explorer
even though he doesn't have to listen to his fans, the fact is that george lucas DOES listen to his fans. the inclusion of jango fett is probably evidence of that. he always said that he was mystified at the cult following of boba fett. i'm almost positive he had no intention of originally including boba's father so prominently in this movie.....i think it's a nod to fans of the movie that boba was pretty cool (despite a weak death scene) and his father could be just as cool.

so this stuff that he doesn't listen is poppycock. the real problem is that he's got 10 million nerds telling him the kind of movie they want. i think he need to go on SNL and tell some of the hard core star wars fans to get a life (ala william shatner to trekkies in 1987).

Dispater

Explorer
King_Stannis said:
even though he doesn't have to listen to his fans, the fact is that george lucas DOES listen to his fans. the inclusion of jango fett is probably evidence of that. he always said that he was mystified at the cult following of boba fett. i'm almost positive he had no intention of originally including boba's father so prominently in this movie.....i think it's a nod to fans of the movie that boba was pretty cool (despite a weak death scene) and his father could be just as cool.

Being more or less a Boba Fett fan, I really hope this Jango Fett guy lives up to his name (heh).

I think Lucas wants to make a film for his fans but the hard fact is that he cannot - he's said that himself. I just hope this film will retain something of that classic star wars feel you got from the old movies.

King_Stannis

Explorer
Dispater said:

Being more or less a Boba Fett fan, I really hope this Jango Fett guy lives up to his name (heh).

I think Lucas wants to make a film for his fans but the hard fact is that he cannot - he's said that himself. I just hope this film will retain something of that classic star wars feel you got from the old movies.

it's just a hunch, but i honestly don't think you'll be disappointed. the thing is, i don't think anyone should go into the movie harboring a grudge. the movie needs to be judged on its own merits. that's the problem with the one-week boycotters, they're already going into the movie privately hoping to find stuff they won't like so they can bitch and complain about it....and the beast keeps getting fed....

and you're absolutely right, he has said he can't make a movie for his fans. but i think with jango fett he's throwing them a bone. maybe he had "villain x" in that role and said "you know what, i think the fans would really appreciate an elaboration on the boba fett story....maybe i could use his dad instead of villain x". personally, i think it was pretty neat once i found out about it. i guarantee that in his wildest dream he never thought that boba fett would blow up so huge.

but i digress. i think jango fett is going to kick ass, and i really have a good feeling about this movie as a pure action adventure with a little bit of love story thrown in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads