Nerd Immersion interviews Kyle Brink

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In my mind, this sounds pretty much like how buying physical miniatures and terrain works. For example, I might buy a set from Dwarven Forge that lets me make a particular build that they've advertised (like the Docks District in their current Kickstarter). But I can take those same pieces and build something different, like a Thieve's Guild. Or I can buy an encounter set from Reaper or Wizkids but use those miniatures however I like. Or I can buy individual monsters or packs of terrain.

I think that's all they are describing.

From my perspective, this sounds like an opportunity for folks to experience tactical miniatures-based play at a fraction of the cost of buying actual miniatures and terrain. On the other hand, I like buying and collecting and painting my physical miniatures and terrain, so a virtual tabletop is less appealing to me.
Yeah, I've always been Theatre of the Mind, so I don't even do minis and terrain, let alone virtual stuff (though I respect the hustle of thst hobby), but it seems like there is room for them to cit "cheaper than a room full of nice terrain and minis."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For example, the black dragon featured in the reveal trailer. One of the designers was saying that you buy pre-made modules and then you can use the assets to create your own game.
In my mind, this is like buying a "black dragon lair" adventure. Then later you have access to the stats for a black dragon and can include it in a game.

So, they haven't clarified, but "assets" are usually things like graphics and sound files. If you buy the black dragon lair adventure, you'll get the 3d mini for use on the tabletop, the animation set for when it breathes on people, the sound of its roar, and such.

The stats, however, are already there in the MM.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
they have 300+ people working on this thing, I’d be surprised if one monster from the MM were missing on day one.

That'll depend on how modern their software development practices are. If they are smart, they'll have several phases of putting out a "basically functional" VTT before it is "Day One Actual Release all-bells-and-whistles", to get testing and feedback from users. And that probably ought to be "basic set" content, not everything in the world.

So, they haven't clarified, but "assets" are usually things like graphics and sound files. If you buy the black dragon lair adventure, you'll get the 3d mini for use on the tabletop, the animation set for when it breathes on people, the sound of its roar, and such.

The stats, however, are already there in the MM.

I mean, it depends on how they break it down. They could definitely monetize some of that (the animations, maybe the sounds) so that you can toss out a basic dragon that just looks like a still miniature for a low price (or free on sub) and you pay for a "premium asset".

What I'm interested in knowing is how much you can actually add to the set: can I add in my own models? Sounds? Music? Animations? There's a whole lot to wonder about how much fans can add themselves.

I still think 3D was arguably a mistake, but given the intended profit model they are looking at, it makes sense. It'll be interesting if they let yet another cottage industry spring up around this or if they put up a walled garden around this.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, it depends on how they break it down. They could definitely monetize some of that (the animations, maybe the sounds) so that you can toss out a basic dragon that just looks like a still miniature for a low price (or free on sub) and you pay for a "premium asset".

Sure. My intent was more to suggest that the game stats for typical monsters are probably not an "asset".

Retreater

Legend
Sure. My intent was more to suggest that the game stats for typical monsters are probably not an "asset".
Admittedly, I don't play MtG (cards or online), but it seems that Arena is a "freemium" game. So you get a basic starter deck then have to purchase other specific cards to play.
I can picture a similar model for a D&D "Arena." I don't see it financially rewarding to WotC to have the game completely playable without purchasing the stats. Not enough to get $1B per year anyway.
As long as I can keep playing without it, I'm fine. My players' computers struggle enough running Roll20 as it is.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Admittedly, I don't play MtG (cards or online), but it seems that Arena is a "freemium" game. So you get a basic starter deck then have to purchase other specific cards to play.
I can picture a similar model for a D&D "Arena." I don't see it financially rewarding to WotC to have the game completely playable without purchasing the stats. Not enough to get $1B per year anyway.
As long as I can keep playing without it, I'm fine. My players' computers struggle enough running Roll20 as it is.
Yeah, here is the thing: Arena is actually considerably less predatory in terms of pricing than the physical card game. They give you a whole bunch of decks to start, and it is a pretty simple matter to earn tons of cards by playing without paying a dime.

If a D&D VTT is anything close to Arena un terns of monetization, that's not necessarily bad for players.

Clint_L

Hero
Right. I am also a fan of collecting and painting miniatures, building terrain, etc.
My concern is that we don't "need" Dwarven Forge or great minis to run a physical game - though it sure is nice. :)
But on the VTT, maybe you will "HAVE" to get the black dragon digital mini to use the stats for a black dragon. My understanding is that in games like MtG Arena, you can't use cards that you don't own. I think this will be similar.
And I'm not sure if the digital tokens will actually be at a "fraction of the cost." I expect the digital miniatures to end up costing about the same as what an equivalent Reaper mini would cost - with the added complication that WotC can yank it from you at any time.
If a digital "mini" costs the same as a physical Reaper mini (say, $3-4 for a medium and go up from there) I will be stunned. Would anyone pay that?

It would definitely make my decision easy - just buy more Reaper minis! (but mostly from their Kickstarters which are an awesome deal)

Remove ads