• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minor Rules Questions/Thoughts

Rystil Arden

First Post
I have a few thoughts and questions on minor rules things that I can't find on any forums so far--I'm still digesting what I've seen (and probably waiting until June 6th or whenever I can see the books) before I can make any bigger pronouncements, since I'm one of the wait-and-see crowd.

Feel free to respond to my thoughts or questions and to post any of your own below. I'm sure several of these can be cleared up by someone with the full rules. If anything in here is not correct, please correct me!

1) Eladrin Teleportation--I think we finally have an answer for the folks who are getting up in arms about the effect of this on jails: Blindfold them. It seems that teleportation is impossible while blindfolded in 4e because they need to be able to see their target. Is that right? That can lead to some interesting strategies for dealing with teleporting critters and characters. It also neatly gets rid of the problem with level 1 Eladrin Teleporting through solid walls.

2) Tiny creatures and weapons--I've heard that there are rules for larger creatures and their weapons in 4e but that Small creatures are sort of handwaved and then Tiny is not mentioned. Is that true? If not, do the damage dice just go down using the usual 4e chart and then from 1d4 -> 1d3 -> 1d2? Is there any weapon that does 1d2 otherwise?

3) Impossible saving throws--it seems that there isn't a clause for an automatic success on a saving throw of 20. Does this mean that a particularly-high-Wisdom Orb Implement Wizard with Spell Focus can create an unsavable spell once per encounter?

4) Item Pricing Funkiness--I've heard that Boots of Striding give you +1 move for 4200 gp and Boots of Striding and Springing give +1 speed and +2 to athletics (jumping only) for 21000. If so, that seems rather silly, particularly since supposedly Dynamic Belt gives +2 to all Athletics and Acrobatics checks and also a daily ability for 4200 gp. This seems to be because all items of a particular level cost the same (the 4200 items would both be level 9 and the 21000 item 14), but this one-size-fits-all approach might to lead to large issues in games where magic items can be bought and sold. At the very least, they need to lower the level of Boots of Striding and Springing. I can't see how +2 to Jumping is worth an increase of 5 levels.

weem

First Post
No thoughts for ya on the topic, just thought I would check info for you...

1/ Yea, you need LoS

2/ To paraphrase, Small's use the same weapons as Mediums. But Smalls can't use a two hander. When a small creature uses a Versatile weapon, they must wield it with two hands but do no extra damage. Large and Larger use specially sized weapons and basically as you go up each size, you increase the damage by one factor so a Large using what is normally a 1d8 (say a longsword) is actually 1d10 (they have a list showing the progression up) - and that would be a specially sized longsword only usable by a large creature.

A Large creature can use a Medium's 2 hander as a one hander but they can't use a one hander (medium) at all.

3/ I don't see anything about auto saves on 20

4) Item Pricing Funkiness--I've heard that Boots of Striding give you +1 move for 4200 gp and Boots of Striding and Springing give +1 speed and +2 to athletics (jumping only) for 21000.

This is correct.

If so, that seems rather silly, particularly since supposedly Dynamic Belt gives +2 to all Athletics and Acrobatics checks and also a daily ability for 4200 gp.

Also correct.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Thanks so much, weem!

But for the Tiny weapons--this:

2/ To paraphrase, Small's use the same weapons as Mediums. But Smalls can't use the two hander of a medium. Large and Larger use specially sized weapons and basically as you go up each size, you increase the damage by one factor so a Large using what is normally a 1d8 (say a longsword) is actually 1d10 (they have a list showing the progression up) - and that would be a specially sized longsword only usable by a large creature.

A Large creature can use a medium 2 hander, but as a one hander but they can't use a one hander (medium) at all.

I had heard already. But what about Tiny critters who want weapons? Is it mentioned? Is it possible to do 1d2 as your damage dice?

weem

First Post
Nothing mentioned about Tiny creatures that I see right now, though I'm still skimming and could have missed something -- though, in the area all about sizes using weapons (where I gathered the info above) they were not mentioned, so they are probably not in here.

---edit---

Found something about Tiny creatures in the Movement/Position section, but nothing is mentioned about weapons/damage - it relates mainly to swarms, etc.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
weem said:
Nothing mentioned about Tiny creatures that I see right now, though I'm still skimming and could have missed something -- though, in the area all about sizes using weapons (where I gathered the info above) they were not mentioned, so they are probably not in here.
That seems like an odd omission, but I guess they didn't have any need for it. Assuming that Tiny weapons do one dice lower, is there any way to do any number of d2 as your damage dice?

Frex, if a Large-sized Dagger did 1d6, if you wanted to, could you make a d3 dagger for Small or a d2 Dagger for Tiny?

Last edited:

weem

First Post
A coin. Haha, I see what you are asking - one sec

---edit---

Without posting the table, the lowest is 1d4, the highest is 2d10

weem

First Post
Frex, if a Large-sized Dagger did 1d6, if you wanted to, could you make a d3 dagger for Small or a d2 Dagger for Tiny?

A Large dagger would indeed be 1d6 as a normal (medium) is d4. That also means it is a 1d4 for Small creatures as well. So a Tiny could be a 1d2 sure, or a 1d3 - whatever works best for you I would imagine. If it were me I would vary it based on how effective I thought the particular weapon would be.

Remove ads