• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mecha Crusade: We need an extra DM!

Creamsteak

Explorer
As long as my communication with Jarval is good, which I think it would be, it allows the game some degree of realism for the GMs. Jarval gets to plan missions without "knowing too much" about the exact placement of the enemy... and without forcing the PCs to follow mission objectives blindly.

Spies would also be made really easy by this method because they simply interact differently with the two groups. A spy might appear to be a good guy, working and following orders, meanwhile informing the enemy of attack plans till someone becomes suspicious of the spy.

and the OC gives this to the PCs in-game

This part is incorrect. The MC directly tells the players as much information as they have, and reveals new information as he recieves it. The only time the OC would interact with the PCs is when combat or such happens. Then the PCs control their actions, the OC controls the enemy actions (unless an NPC is running a particular combat), and the MC does the attack rolls and resolutions.

Oh, and to help communications I'm good with maps.

As demonstrated here... (though I can't show the markers to anyone till I get the OK from Jarval)

Jarval

Explorer
As creamsteak says, it gives an added feeling of realism to the game, since the players superior officers (i.e. the MC) would only be working off limited information themselves.

creamsteak said:
This part is incorrect. The MC directly tells the players as much information as they have, and reveals new information as he recieves it. The only time the OC would interact with the PCs is when combat or such happens. Then the PCs control their actions, the OC controls the enemy actions (unless an NPC is running a particular combat), and the MC does the attack rolls and resolutions.

As long as we don't try anything too ambitious, it should work out fine. I don't think we should try for more than one MC update a day, allowing for plenty of time for me and CS to communicate.

creamsteak, we need to get in touch via ICQ (my ICQ # is in my profile) or chat (I'll be on the #ir channel for the next 30 minutes to hour), as this will let us work out some of the basics quickly.

BTW, nice map :cool:

Last edited:

Sparrowhawk

First Post
First, when I said, "and the OC gives this to the PCs in-game," I meant to say, "and the MC gives this to the PCs in-game." A simple typo can completely change the meaning of a sentance. :eek:

Second, I just read through the first recruiting thread, and saw where creamsteak first proposed the OC > MC > PC game model, and now I understand how this will work. Do I understand correctly that NPCs will post under their own screennames to keep the PCs from knowing who's controlling them?

Also, what kind of game is this going to be? It looks to me like it will go, "PCs go to briefing, PCs prepare Mecha, PCs go out on mission, PCs return, repeat." IE, not much out-of-combat interaction. Will there be time for PCs to do other stuff?

Thanks sparrow, but Lichtenheart beat you to it. He mailed me with the goods like 2 minutes after I posted.
Thanks both for the trouble!

I'll be sifting through the goods tomorrow and see if I can get the stuff mastered in a day or 2. DMming is fun :p

Jarval

Explorer
Sparrowhawk said:
Do I understand correctly that NPCs will post under their own screennames to keep the PCs from knowing who's controlling them?

Yup, that's correct.

Sparrowhawk said:
Also, what kind of game is this going to be? It looks to me like it will go, "PCs go to briefing, PCs prepare Mecha, PCs go out on mission, PCs return, repeat." IE, not much out-of-combat interaction. Will there be time for PCs to do other stuff?

That is broadly the idea, but I think a bit of time between missions will also be played, to give more of a sense of connection with the forces they're fighting for and against.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Interaction could be difficult for role-playing. This is true of any game I've played that has mechs, and more true of games where you are part of a military structure. However, I've seen role-playing in these scenerios done quite well. One player I've been with would write a letter to his sister before every game session about his fighting.

The sister would "reply" though the person writing the reply letters was really his girlfriend, but it still provided ample characterization and description.

Also, I feel like NPCs would be the most likely to really give role-playing to the game. They could easily have a conversation post-mission, or right after a briefing. For instance an NPC flight commander could have a rivalry with the PC flight commander, and as such they would always compete too complete more missions, and faster, but they still have their bi-weekly card game at the barracks/field hall/campsight/dinner... and such.

It is 'more' difficult, but not at all stopored.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads