• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mecha Crusade: We need an extra DM!

Jarval

Explorer
My Mecha Crusade game seems to have gathered quite a lot of interest. So much so, that I've got about two games worth of players. Would anyone like to run a second game?

Sparrowhawk

First Post
Ah, so I may get to play in this game after all. I am, however, somewhat disappointed that I'm going to be fighting with the greedy, imperialistic Earth forces instead of against them. :D All we need now is a GM.

Hi,
I'd like to reserve a place for this game if thats ok, as I was too late for the last one (is it ok if I use the SRD for D20 modern as I don't have the money to buy the book yet).
Thanks

Creamsteak

Explorer
WHO WE NEED
OC (Opposition Commander) - This player's job is to control the forces outside the control of the MC and the PCs. The OC wins by creating interesting and surprising enemies, locations, and actions.

MC (Mission Commander) - This player's job is to interpret the information provided by the OC, and create missions for the players. The MC wins by creating fun missions, minimizing the casualties on his side, and maximizing damage of the enemy.

PC (Player Character) - This player's job is to take the MC's missions, and accomplish them. The players win by impressing the MC, being promoted, and requisitioning a better budget and new equipment.

HOW PLAYERS INTERACT
The first step is for the OC to create the overall situation, and introduce it to the MCs. This includes the current state of war/peace, the expectations of the MCs superiors (the government), and the current assignment of the MC. This assignment is very general like, "Secure the entire Florida Peninsula from the enemy." The OC decides the story context/purpose of this mission, the distribution of the enemies forces, and the surprises that await the MCs.

Then the MC takes the assignment, plus all of the information provided by the OC, and creates the first mission for the PCs. The MC tells the PCs the expectations of their superiors (the military), and the current mission goals of the PCs. The mission goals tend to be a list of different actions that could help the MC fulfill the goal given to him. For example, a list could include objectives like: "Destroy the Enemy Fuel Supply, Secure the Experimental Weapons from the Enemy Mechlab, Minimize Civilian Casualties, Maximize Colateral Damage" and a number of special objectives that could aid the PCs against their enemy, "Disable the Security Device at X, Infiltrate the Huge Mecha Garage, Steal or Destroy the Mechs at Y, and Dust-Off (return) here."

Then the PCs take their orders from the MC, and decide how to best update their mechs before the Drop. The PCs must plan in the field after their mechs are fitted, so the game becomes a test of preperation, equipment, skill, and luck. Depending on the success of the PCs, the MC may award them a better budget, increase their rank, or discipline them for failing important objectives.

Does this setup seem good to everyone?

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
Jarval blinks. Damn good work CS! I like it a lot. I have to admit, I'd not really started planing the first mission, so e-mail me your idea. The way of handling NPCs (mainly via e-mail) is rather good as well.

Do you have ICQ, or anything similar? I'll e-mail you the setting information I have, and some more rules info.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I lost a little of what I put in that last post... but it looks like the important part is still there. I don't have ICQ... but I probably can gain access to it. Where do I need to go?

(An Email has been sent)

Creamsteak

Explorer
Hrm... to quickly rephrase the info I had posted before, but accidently deleted, I covered NPCs purpose.

Those of you that are not in the PC group will keep in contact with me primarily, as I am the person that has to know everything in order to decide how everything else would react. An NPC qualifies as a player that is handled primarily through email, until the NPC interacts with the PCs. When that happens, the NPC posts and acts just like a PC would, but it allows us to minimize the dice rolling and indecision inherent in having too many Players.

Also, NPCs will likely be in charge of a binary or trinary of mechs (groups of 2 and 3) or a star (5). Your budget will be slightly more general, but it won't amount to more than 2/3rds of the combined wealth of the PCs, since your just 1 player rebudgeting for a few mechs.

If you want to be a good guy, or a bad guy... tell me. That will help for story purposes. If your a good guy, you will likely interact with the PCs in good ways, but your primary competition with them will be for rank and to impress the MC. If your a bad guy, the doors are open for you to be a little bit vile to the players, but you might end up dead at the end of a campaign. NPCs will not be involved in every fight, most likely just 1 or 2 per campaign, but instead, you get to have a little bit of MC power and a little bit of PC power. It's a good mix, trust me, you will have fun if your an NPC. You also will probably be allowed to unleash some of the more interesting plot twists for the OC.

Remove ads