• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] The Road to Tritower

Aura

Explorer
[sblock=Brandon and Karra]So anything I need to know about what you all are doing, in terms of the order you're walking in, if you're using light sources, if so, what are they, etc? I'll be keeping Leira moving along with the group until the return of her player, BTW, so no worries about that.[/sblock]

Lindeloef

First Post
[sblock="ooc"]Karra stays close to the drow leading the group as she seems to be the only one speaking elven tongue.

Regarding light, I don't we (as in the group) have discussed that. Light can give us away, though we are facing Drow who can see in the dark so there is the question if it would matter.[/sblock]

epicbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]We might not have a choice. If it gets dark in harsh terrain, we'll need to do something to avoid another twisted ankle from someone. I'll take the chance of using a light spell when we get there. Also, I hang behind the tougher party members.[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
Under the starry sky, you depart in search of the drow raider camp. Visibility is generally good, for night, as you travel up the road some distance, about a couple hundred yards*. Towards the end of the trek, your captive spends considerably effort scanning the treeline to the forest, sometimes even stopping. She seems rather hesitant and pensive about the entire situation. However, in due time, she finds what she is looking for--a small trail that she claims leads right to the camp.

Stepping into the forest, the starlight is soon almost completely blocked and the trail so narrow that the forest canopy is unbroken above. Brandon quickly finds himself having to cast light to be able to see, and to provide an extra source, Anzaldo lights up a torch. Francis finds himself having to close to within 20' of the group in order to take advantage of at least the residual light for seeing the path (although he can see the light glow further away than that.) A short conversation with the captive reveals the camp is on a widening in the trail where the trees actually open up a bit, and that it is another couple hundred yards* to that point.

* Or meters, if you prefer. :)

[sblock=Preparations]It is at this point you'll need to let me know everything you're doing that is not contained in the narrative above. Marching order, light sources past the two you mention, etc, etc. Remember you have Anna, Anzaldo and the captive with you, although Francis is 20-ish feet back. Also, if you haven't yet preemptively rolled a Perception and Initiative roll, please do so so it's in place when the time comes (this saves us a day or two in boring roll reporting.)[/sblock]

Lindeloef

First Post
"So the Camp is up ahead. How we gonna to this guys? Hmm.... I suggest Anzaldo and Anna keep behind, hidden so they don't get attacked." She looks at Anzaldo. She then turns towards Francis"Do you want to scout ahead like last time Francis?"

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Karra
AC: 14 (13 flat-footed, 11 touch)
HP: 13/13
CMB: +2 CMD: 13
Fort: +3 Reflex: +1 Will: +2
Perception: +7
Initiative: +3
Arcane Pool: 5/5

Current Weapon in Hand: Katana

Spells Prepared:
*Cantrips (DC 14):
Arcane Mark, Mage Hand, Ray of Frost
*Level 1 (DC 15):
Color Spray, Enlarge Person
Low-Light Vision
[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Francis John III, Self-Proclaimed Halfling Prince[sblock=Mini Stats]Francis John, III
HP: 7/7
AC: 18 FF:14 T:15
CMB: 0 CMD: 13
Fort: -1 Reflex: +5 Will: +1
Perception: +7 Initiative: +3
Bluff: +13 Diplomacy: +8 Motive: +5
Sleight: +9 Stealth: +11
Armed: Light Crossbow +4 1d6
Bolts Remaining: 20/20
Unarmed: Dagger +2 d3+1
Adaptable Luck: 1/3[/sblock]

Francis feels an overwhelming sense of pride for being selected by Karra to do the utmost important task of scouting ahead! He visibly puffs out his chest as he responds. "Certainly! It is my honour and duty to perform the feats asked of one of my stature." He holds his thumb in the air, swivels his torso once or twice, and measures some kind figures known only to him.

"Unfortunately my friends, there does not seem to be lighting conditions of high enough quality for me to complete this endeavor. I cannot scout ahead in such wretched darkness! Of course giving me a light to do so would be useless." He sullenly kicks a rock on the forest floor. "I would much rather prefer to stay off to the side, 30 feet or so, maybe 20 if the light fails, to give them quite the surprise if we find them." Francis checks his loaded crossbow, and rumbles off to the 'right' side of the party.

[sblock=Roll: Stealth = 16 (If I didn't have one 'on file')]Stealth: 1D20+11 = [5]+11 = 16
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
[sblock=Clarification]The widening of the trail (and opening of the canopy) happens where the drow camp is, which is still out of sight. You are told by the captive it would be still a couple hundred yards/meters from where you stepped onto the trail and into the forest. I'm not sure which option this invokes, Francis, but current conditions are certainly quite dark and you can't see very far in front of you at all. Is that Option 1 or 2 to you? Please let me know and we'll continue.[/sblock]

Lindeloef

First Post
[sblock="ooc"]If we are too far away for Francis plan to work, we move up a bit further towards the camp but still keep a save distance[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
[sblock=The Plan]OK, I think the problem is we're talking about different things. I'm asking how you're traversing the couple hundred yards/meters of near darkness from the edge of the forest, down the trail, to the suspected campsite. By contrast, the plan under discussion seems to assume you've done that, when I'm still on a previous step. Does this help clarify what I'm asking?[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads