(IC) Quickleaf's Rime of the Frostmaiden

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Lumrolur studies the fallen zombies, ignoring the banter. His shawl is still wrapped over his face and movements are careful. He keeps to the shadows as if expecting another zombie to come from the area.

Just in case, he check the room where they came from.

happylace

Explorer
Alma has been absorbed in studying the walls, the ancient images and the stories they tell. Too much so to even really think about their secrets and sequences. As the undead threat quiets again, she decides she'd better keep her focus forward. Lest the dwarves lead them into any more traps.

"I will remain in the back, if we are creating a formation. Unless anyone needs the light," she holds up a gloved hand, slick with a strange film and glowing faintly red. "Unfortunately, I don't believe my ability to sense entities will be of help here. They need to be sentient, and undead are largely mindless."

"
Zeth wipes a drop of sweat off his brow.

"I think it would be best to form a battle formation before we open any doors from now on. And we should make a plan to avoid getting swarmed, there's no telling how many undead are down there."

He turns to the rest of the group and sighs.

"This-" he waves his hand to indicate dungeon-diving, fighting, etc. "-isn't what I planned to be doing when I came here."

OOC
: Zeren will make the Religion check about zombies here since he's got the time.

Alma turns to Zeth, blinking slowly. "They were very explicit about what to expect down here. Unless you mean when you came to Icewind Dale. In which case--what did you plan on doing? Why have you deviated?"

Quickleaf

Legend
Zeth wipes a drop of sweat off his brow.

"I think it would be best to form a battle formation before we open any doors from now on. And we should make a plan to avoid getting swarmed, there's no telling how many undead are down there."

He turns to the rest of the group and sighs.

"This-" he waves his hand to indicate dungeon-diving, fighting, etc. "-isn't what I planned to be doing when I came here."

OOC
: Zeren will make the Religion check about zombies here since he's got the time.
GM: Zeth makes a Religion check for zombie weaknesses/special abilities that would be useful to know. 1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17

Certain unsavory merchants Zeth has dealt with were known to use zombies as messengers, guardians, even porters to unload their ships. He's had occasion to talk at length with their masters and creators over a Zhentish port.

The strength of zombies is also their greatest weakness – they only have faint glimmers of intelligence that is more instinctual than anything else. Walk up the ramp, pick up that sack, stay in this room. "Tell me what you think of this sonata?" "Did you spot any pit traps?" Well, that won't get much more than gurgling confusion from a zombie. However, they are relentless in pursuit of their assigned task. And this makes them very hard to kill – unless one strikes them in the right spot (critical hit, extreme amounts of damage) or inflicts harm on them with clerical magic (e.g. Turn Undead, radiant) or holy water (radiant), they can rise from even seemingly mortal blows.

Necropolitan

Adventurer
Alma turns to Zeth, blinking slowly. "They were very explicit about what to expect down here. Unless you mean when you came to Icewind Dale. In which case--what did you plan on doing? Why have you deviated?"
Zeth mentally curses, this is not the time for this! Still, he can answer the question without revealing too much.

"The ship I was on froze in the ice thanks to the plummeting temperature. The crew and passengers had to travel through the frozen wasteland to get to safety and as far as I know I was the only survivor. I either need to retrieve the ship's cargo or find some other way to replace the value of what was lost or I'm likely ruined. "

He continues as if he doesn't see the need to say more.

"Now from what I recall of zombie lore they take far more to put down than a living person. Our best bet is to use divine or light magic, pile on damage until they're destroyed, or hope to get a lucky hit on them. The good news is they're nearly-mindless and as long as they don't have someone or something more intelligent commanding them they'll just move straight at us to attack. If we move in formation and coordinate our attacks we should only have a problem if we're faced with a horde of them and we get overwhelmed."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: Does Aric know if his bond fire will prevent the zombies from coming back?

As the others talk, Aric summons a second bond fire to burn the second zombie. He really doesn’t like them, and wants to cleanse the room.

OOC: cast create bondfire on second zombie

Remove ads