• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just discovered Castles and Crusades

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I checked out the free players handbook. I’m glad this game scratches the itch for some people, but I personally am so over systems where each class takes three or more dense pages to explain, and single abilities take three paragraphs.

Shadowdark or Death. (Or both…)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I checked out the free players handbook. I’m glad this game scratches the itch for some people, but I personally am so over systems where each class takes three or more dense pages to explain, and single abilities take three paragraphs.
C&C predates a lot of the more stripped down fantasy RPGs of the last 20 years and were openly aping 1E and everything Gygaxian (including working with the man himself for a too-brief window). It's not a surprise that they ended up something that looks a lot like something EGG would have made.

That said, the person who figures out how to compress that Gygaxian flavor into something as lean and mean as Shadowdark definitely will get my money.

Retreater

Legend
That said, the person who figures out how to compress that Gygaxian flavor into something as lean and mean as Shadowdark definitely will get my money.
Gygax's writing style isn't what I'd describe as "lean." I think of charts, polearms, and wordy passages with inflated diction.
What elements would you want preserved from Gygax's style? Maybe the collective here can figure out if the game already exists?

Remove ads